Boost Surfing FIN greatly inspired by Efoil

I think it’s a good toy to use on high water on streets under rain :slight_smile: I know places where water flooding streets each strong rain for an years )

Would be nice if they added the seal port for adding external battery pack…

I have a dream …

A while back I put down the $200 to see if this will work, to propel my sup / surf foil in unbreaking waves, allowing me to just barely catch waves that are otherwise not catchable. My hope is that I can mount it to foil mast, get a boost, then once up on the foil and out of the water, no extra drag.

One day I will post a report if my dream came true … I have my doubts, but remain cautiously optimistic.

1 Like

Something like this ?

RCjetman

2 Likes

Hey cool…tell me more, did it work? EG enough forward momentum to get up on foil, then once out of the water minimal drag? Looking at this, I now realize one constraint: my mast will need to be longer.

The open prop kinda worries me a little though.

I am working on somthing similar! Here is concept 1, made several changes from this revision, but more or less the same.

There are a few very high discharge cells and I belive combining with a 6383 or 63100 outrunner you should be able to have it lift you all the way up!

3 Likes

Here is the current progress!
Currently printing the internal structures!

not very proud of the battery but I believe it will work.

1 Like

Also here is the button I will be using to turn the thing on. It will be connected to an Arduino controlling the motor controller. One-click gives a boost of maybe 5 seconds or so. any suggestions of a durable wire that is easily tappable to the strut ideally OD of 4-5mm?

1 Like

For X-reference purpose, there were those projects from @drswitch:
'Submarine Build

and @Peter
'Peters Concept (Bavarian style)

talking to a foil buddy about my maybe-someday boost fin. He suggested it would be cool to pursue some kinda recharging system…eg while paddling back out, the prop spins, adding charge back to batteries. While I doubt that would do much for keeping up with power needs, it’s an interesting concept.

still waiting for my boost fin – aiming for assisted surf foil riding.

Some people posting on seabreeze forum about a similar but much heavier duty and more expensive version from Australia:

Seems kinda halfway to an efoil, aimed at downwind sup foiling.

$165 for a 3D printed mast clamp :rofl:

1 Like

Oof… $600 for a 6S 12A battery! At least throw a BMS in there. I wonder if he did anything to the motor or just grabbed it off the shelf. Actually if anyone knows How what covering he used for the phase cables and their connectors id really like to know.

I bet the creator is someone here… They probably grabbed the mast files from the mast section :rofl:

The easiest way to do the phase cables like that is to get a pipe/tube with a thin wall, then use a reinforced section (like a brass tube) for where the gland clamps over.

3 Likes

I bet you are right Jezza. And I think it may highlight an important business principle: it’s not about designing the better mousetrap, it’s about marketing it successfully.

I am obsessed with foiling, can’t get enough … but the tech threads on here are so intense, I can’t follow them, much less design my own motor assisted unit. So if someone is able to take the info users are sharing here and make something sellable, that’s a valuable service. Though personally I am too cheap to buy one. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, foildrive.com.au brings some nice points:
1- a working plastic folding prop !
2- a Maytech remote control mount that adapts to paddle shafts or windfoil booms

In August 2019, I submitted the e-wingfoil idea. Happily, it was taken up and implemented. Long live foildrive.com.au who dared to reuse a Maytech remote control and who will surely replace it soon by a more adapted solution.

ewingfoil_2

There’s a much less complicated and lighter way to get up wingfoiling in light wind. Use a big wing and pump the wing and foil like crazy! I’ve gotten up in 8 knts this way before and any less you can’t ride the wing anyway.

The real advantage in wing foiling would be figuring out how to get up on a really small board (20L) when its moderate wind, but I feel the best solution for that would be some kind of floatation device.

1 Like

The battery box looks kind of nice anyone know where it is sourced from?
Would like to build a similar contraption.

It’s just a clear lid ip67 junction box with latches. Quite a lot of them online if you Google the right thing.