BREmote - DIY Remote

Yes, it is highly recommend to flash the BREmote PCBs with a 3.3V programmer, so either 3.3V Arduino or Level Shifter. Or wait a few weeks until BREmote kits will be for sale officially.

1 Like

How should resistors be connected, in series with the programming wires?

could you draw a simple sketch for us? I don’t want to buy a level shifter or convert the arduino, but i have resistors at hand :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

You can try resistors, but I would not recommend that as well, as the low level signals from the 3.3V device also need to be converted up to 5V for reliable transmission, wich resistors obviously can’t do…
If you still want to try, just put one resistor each in series with Miso, Mosi, Sck, and reset, so basically every wire except 3V3 and GND.
Anything around 1kOhm should be ok.

Finally got my long range BREmote with differential steering built and it is super awesome!! Thanks so much for sharing this project, it’s a game changer!!

Update… I’ve had a few people ask about speed. In this video I’m barely pushing the throttle, maybe 30%. It is a lot faster. The max I’ve been on foil, according to gps on watch, is 23-25mph and I was limited by the chop and the tow boogie bouncing around like crazy. I can’t wait to try it on a super slick day.

10 Likes

I’m looking forward to getting myself a pair of kits.
And yet, I would really like to have a remote control made in the form of a pistol grip with a trigger guard. I’ve had a few unfortunate incidents where I accidentally touched the trigger to the board. I don’t understand why none of the manufacturers have done anything like this yet.

Not exactly 'DIY Waterproof remote - #238 by VeFoil
This one was never released though …

1 Like

I have thought about this as well, but I think it’s best sorted in software with an easy lock/unlock feature with a time out.

1. Pressing a button on the remote then pulling trigger within a 5 seconds to unlock.

2. Auto lock after 5 seconds with no throttle input.

This way after a crash/fall the remote will always lock and also allows better access to the trigger.

I agree this is a good option. It’s just that I’ve been involved in sports shooting for quite a long time and I have developed a stable skill in handling the trigger safely. Unfortunately, with the trigger open, this skill does not work and is even dangerous, as it creates a false sense of security when I take my finger off the trigger

On the BREmote, you can lock and unlock the remote with the 2-way toggle button. Just pull down for 2 sec, it will be locked, pull down again and once give full throttle (to show you are aware of unlocking) and its unlocked.
There is a gyro sensor on Rx and Tx as well, so one may write code that detects a fall off the board e.g. and that can then also put the remote in locked state and/or turn off the motor.

1 Like

I will describe my latest incident. I was finishing the session. The entrance to the water was a concrete staircase, two passersby, who were interested in my towing boogie, were sitting on the steps. One of them started asking me questions, I got distracted and didn’t turn off the remote control, took my finger off the trigger and jumped off the board. The trigger accidentally touched the board and the tow boogie was literally fired in the direction of the stairs, almost injuring the man. The result is two brocken propellers, scratched motors and a spoiled mood. Would electronic locks help in this situation? I think no, but something as simple as a trigger guard could prevent this.

I know that there is someone designing a BREmote version with a guard at the moment. I will tell him to post here when his design is finished.

2 Likes

I have built 2 BREmotes so far, one for my tow boogie and one for my faux foil drive and they both work amazing! I love that it shows the VESC temperature and battery remaining percentage! Thank you again for sharing this awesome project!!

6 Likes

Hi everybody,
New release: GitHub
Changes:

• Softer Gears: When at full throttle, changing gear is smoothened (Thanks to @DanDyse )
  • Added Information how to connnect ISP for LR version

Also, for all waiting for the sale of kits: Just a few more days :partying_face:

13 Likes

A few questions please:

1. How much it costed you eventully?
  2. Is it waterproof?
  3. Can we use the software of the remote to soft rump up start?
  4. If you would use the flycolor esc, you would loose all the tellemetry, right?
  5. How strong the signal right now relative to Maytech V2 ? Can we make the signal even stronger ?
  1. About 50 Euro total
  2. Yes
  3. Yes
  4. Yes you can, you can still have battery voltage measurement
  5. normal Version up to 100m, long range version 1km
2 Likes

Ludwig, first of thank you for your project!
Is it possible with this pcb to use some oled display, like:

https://shorturl.at/lrBSW

Why did you decide to do the basic digits display, is it hard to use some small oled?

It is hard to read a small oled dispaly while efoiling…

1 Like

Also, it is tricky to get that waterproof, the 7-segment is quite easy as it is already fully potted
But you can also connected the oled, I2C is free on the Tx, just need to write your own software

1 Like

Also consider the processor, it is an 8 bit atmega, not too powerful. I had laggy behaviour with the most common u8g2lib. LCDGFX library uses less ressources and works well with ssd1327 oled 1.5“ 128128 as well as with smaller displays over i2c.
I think you need a different casing concept with an LCD, something waterproof, not just filled with foam. Gets more complicated.

1 Like

I’m doing a tow board, how do you actually steer a tow with the differential steering, you’d need dual throttles or throttle plus joystick wheel? (Which isn’t in the normal bremote design?)