BREmote - DIY Remote

@ludwig_bre for the best reliable link, which one is better for Efoil ? Always use like on this photo (I have some issues on knees for starting with flipsky vx3 remote)

With the antenna placed towards the front of the board, I have never had any connection problems, laying, on the knees or standing.

In my case antenna patch is inside the waterproof orange box behind me and on knees it s limit - a 868mhz will be so much resilient … so I don t know which one to choose normal or longe range (what is the power output of long range versus normal please)

The Rx has +20dBm send and -106dBm receive.

The Tx “normal” has 0dBm send and -94dBm receive
The Tx LR has +20dBm send and -106dBm receive (same module as Rx)

The antennas probably also have some gain (manufacturer says 5dBi)…

The normal one has about 120m range, the LR tested up to 2km (calculated should be 4.5km) LOS.

1 Like

thanks for clarification Ludwig. Another last question for you - Does the signal cut (failsafe) when falling in water with the 2 remote (normale and long range) ? I find this super secure on my vx3 remote now (probably power is too low)

Depends, the normal one can do about 15cm of water, the LR more than that. At loss of signal the Rx will go into failsafe. I just pay attention to let go of the trigger before/when I fall…

1 Like

So I suppose I can go with normal version (no long range). I will put a directional anetenna if issue but I m very confident with all the love you put in this project (like battery video, you rocks, it help me a lot to build my own 2x6s8p!)

1 Like

A feature that I would like so much will be, like on Ardupilot on drone Area, a throttle calibration (alignement) with battery voltage (especially Li-Ion). In fact the throttle needed could not be the same at end of battery in comparaison to start to achieve a certain RPM. This feature adjust Throttle to be always the same position (example 42%) from start of battery to the end to achieve RPM of 42% throttle. I m quite new with VESC project but this is my comprehension of the project. Do you think I’am ok or wrong with this ? thanks

I order it (normal one) on openfoil (order 706) Thanks Ludwig

1 Like

I personally run current control on the VESC, which eliminates the dependency on input voltage, as it will just increase the RPM/duty cycle, until the current is reached. For any further talk on this, I would recommend opening or appending to a VESC topic :slight_smile:

1 Like

New release: LINK

Jürgen improved the design of the LR version:

• Stronger housing at one place
  • Make holes of antenna longer to allow for tolerances

4 Likes

The final version of the case is ready. All mechanics work as I want, the next stage is sealing.

4 S balancing wires were useful as a display cable

7 Likes

Today I did my first tests in the bathroom. The remote control works reliably when there is 7 centimeters of water above the box.
I have a question: is it possible to adjust the dead zone of the selector?

1 Like

Yes, that is possible
You can change the deadband in the SHARED_CONFIG, parameter called
‘’’

// Hyteresis
  #define TOG_DIFF 8                          //Hysteresis for Toggle (30 for toto)
  #define TOG_STB_DIFF 8                      //Hysteresis for Standby Toggle (30 for toto)

‘’’
Increase both by the same amount.
Totos version I recommend 30 or above, so that’s probably a good area for you to start as well

1 Like

Can the way the remote turns on get modified?

Because my 2 BREmotes tend to always turn on quite randomly when I’m not even noticing. I changed the sensitivity of it, but still keeps turning on unless I tape it.

IDEA - Would it be possible to program it so you have to simultaneously push up with the thumb switch and pull in with the throttle to turn it on? off can still be the same as it originally is. That would prevent even the times where the remote might get bumped into from getting turned on.

Yes, I had thought of that exact feature already, but for me the toggle was robust enough.
I will implement that feature when I am back from vacation, it’s only a few lines of code :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have moved away from using VESC based speed controllers and am using speed controllers with BLHeli_32 based speed controllers that only have a one wire telemetry. Is there anyway to implement reading the temp/battery voltage without using a flight controller?

3 Likes

Do you mean soldering a cable between the ESC tx out pin and your receiver pcb?
I just tried this with maytech hoping it would forward to my remote without success so I’m putting a FC in between now instead. The bonus is that you can get bluetooth etc if that is your thing.

That should be possible to be implemented in the Rx code. Probably even an Arduino library for it. Not sure if I will find time for implementing and properly testing that in the near future though.

2 Likes

@ludwig_bre I plan to place the supplied LR receiver antenna in the bore tunnel that leads to nosecone of my carbon board. Is the supplied antenna ok to be orientated parallel to board length?