BREmote - DIY Remote

Thanks, i checked the other links already before i asked here and had sent them on.

Only thing was the readme.md that i couldn’t open since my computer didn’t know the extension - but my friend knew that it was basically a txt file that opened with notepad.

Could be good to comment on this on github.

1 Like

Made a new build instructions video.
The old one was still a bit rough and missing a common thread. Also, the SW installation part is now shown in all details.

9 Likes

Important information:
Found a bug that could deplete battery in standby
Please update to / use Release 1.4.2 or later!
GitHub

Additional Update:
Today I did some long-range testing
With the internal antenna in the BREmote (“usual setup”), you get about 120m LOS range
As you may have seen in the last build video, I also made a “long range” version to test. Range: 2.6km
So for all the tow boogie guys, this may be interesting for you :wink:

5 Likes

Very interesting project thanks a lot for sharing as I was looking for a no-fuss remote for a e-powered float project. One early question though, why not using a waterproof usb connector? This will save the need to build an adapter.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004324601043.html

Also a great idea - as the design is open source, everbody can choose the connector he likes best :slight_smile: Altough I would prefer USB C…

1 Like

The new video seems to be very clear with the instructions, thank you!

Is there any limit on the “feedback” power supply from the bms to the receiver? It can be directly connected in my understanding.

I’m planning to add a similar to this 6.8ohm 1W resistor to my 10s3p on the positive wire (bms to rx) covered with a heatshrink:
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32723880716.html

Sorry, bit off topic, but is this the same approach you’re using as the antispark solution? Would this resistor be fine for this purpose for my 10s3p pack? Or are you using some other type if resistor?

Thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:

The maximum voltage is 84V, so 20S pack. So with a 10S pack you can connect directly for sure

What do you mean with “from bms to rx”? You need to connect the resistor from battery/bms to the VESC input, in order to charge the capacitors before you plug in the main power wire. At the same time, you can use the BMS output to let the receiver read the BMS output and tell you on the remote if everything is OK. But thats two different and separate paths. I only put the resistor on the BMS as this was easier to solder and the resistor fit nicely into the housing of the connector.

I use a 20 Ohm 3 Watt resistor. As it only needs to dissipate power for a short time, thats sufficient. Hochlast-Widerstand DRALORIC Z302 BV20175 | Pollin.de

wavedrive_antispark.drawio
OR:

I think a few more details on the receiver would be great (particularly since I’m not an Arduino expert). I’m gonna try to order the PCBs next week in the UK. But I can see some cool features like the ability to turn on the power via the relay.

The second drawing is crystal clear, thank you!

But there is something I don’t understand on the first drawing. In my understanding we have to pre-charge the capacitors on the VESC. Shouldn’t the resistor wire from the BMS be connected directly to the VESC after the main power connector of the positive terminal on the second diagram also?

Like this: wavedrive_antispark.drawio

So you plug the negative XT150 in first then the SP13, wait a bit and connect the positive XT150. If this is not correct, please let me know and I will start another thread.

Yes, exactly like that. Sorry for the error in the picture, I have taken the freedom to replace it by yours.

1 Like

Have you seen the video and connection example images?
Video: https://youtu.be/SpBOiRbGKgA?t=832
Images (click on the arrows to open the images):GitHub - Luddi96/BREmote: eFoil and Esk8 remote

At the moment, the receiver software can do the following:

• PPM output (obviously)
  • Read voltage from VESC or analog
  • Check wetness sensor
  • Check BMS

What MAY follow (or could be programmed by you):

• Control relay (receiver hardware is prepared for that)
  • Control I2C
  • Log data to SD card
  • Interface GPS (for logging)

In your case, what exactly shlould the relay do? When?

Hello,

Well thank you so much for taking the time to write such great answers (on top of sharing what seems like a super cool product). I didn’t see that video so that’s super handy.

I wanted to use the relay to power the main unit and activate it with a hall sensor (like you do on the remote). I think it’ll be a much more elegant solution. As you can see from the picture, at the moment on my first prototype I use an ip67 fuse box (this is for a powered spearfishing float, so it has to be small) and a 20amp rathed large switch.

1 Like

What about a magnetic solution ?
'https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255801097374071.html

1 Like

There is a mod with this connector, have a look at the pictures further up in this thread. The Pogo pins are at the bottom of the remote. Haven‘t tested in saltwater yet.

2 Likes

Also possible, as can be seen on on the post from @sat_be
But I dont know how this will perform in saltwater.

I like the SP13, thats why I chose it. You can choose whatever you want. For this magnet connector, the CAD for the plate is already included, thanks to @sat_be

Post see here.

1 Like

Another Update:
A friend with a tow boogie asked if the BREmote could also be used for additional steering.
Yes, it can!
With the long range antenna he can control&steer his tow boogie up to 2.6km away :stuck_out_tongue:
Somebody else may also use this to change the pitch of a variable propeller or change the angle of a foil-wing, if he manages to install an electric actuator to said parts.

11 Likes

I Created a mod of the handle to offer better grip and avoid that the remote can turn in your hand.
Also made a wider trigger that is easier to reach for smaller hands.
Feel free to share & modify.

6 Likes

I just pulled a piece of an old bycicle tube over the handle to get more grip.

2 Likes

Could you please share the bootloader flashing video you mention at 20:17 in this video:

It seems to be missing from the video description.

1 Like

Yeah, well, I have not made that video yet :stuck_out_tongue:
But I have described the process here:
See Readme on this Page

2 Likes