BREmote - DIY Remote

Thank you! I’ll follow the guide! I haven’t noticed it yet tbh.

1 Like

Follow up on the pogo usb, I put it in salt water for one week, it doesn’t look too bad. No corrosion on the gold plated contacts.On the untreated magnets you can see signs of corrosion but this can be prevented with a coat of epoxy.

3 Likes

New release with minor fix:
A friend acciedentally touched the power off button while riding, turning the remote off unintentionally. This is fixed in SW now: When throttle is given, remote cannot be turned off or locked anymore.
LINK

2 Likes

Great build Ludwig! Preparing to start a tow boogie build and the BREmote has to be part of it! I really want it to be steerable, has your friend maybe shared anything on his steerable tow? Couldn’t find it on the forum yet.

Also thinking about a dual motor setup in combination with big boogie (43”). Idea behind this is that it would make it more stable and steerable without need of servo. Any thoughts about this concept?

Kind regards from the Netherlands

1 Like

Hey Peter,
Thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:

I will tell the friend to contact you or maybe also post something here.

About the dual motor: Yes, from BREmote view, thats possible, just a small change in software, I could do for you. But maybe also my friend has a opinion on that / tried that already.

2 Likes

Thank you for the quick response and the offer to help out with the needed software changes Ludwig! Much appreciated and great to hear :+1:

Looking forward to additional info on your friends build of the steerable boogie

Any thoughts to the general concept of the dual motor tow are also more then welcome, but maybe for a different thread :blush:

2 Likes

Update: New Release V1.6
LINK

• Remove Toto Mode
  • Add more options to customize UI:
    • NO_LOCK
    • NO_POWERBUTTON
    • NO_GEARS
  • Add temperature display

Here you can see the implementation of the temperature display: I will cycle between battery percent (13%) and temperature (20°C)

20230601115414-7c011ad592.gif-2-mp4.com

5 Likes

Great! It displays the temperature of the VESC as temp / 10 in Celsius, right?

I have built mine and it works great, except the signal strength which seems quite week. I receive E4 error code if I move the tx and rx more than 1m away from each other. It was mentioned above the standard range is expected to be like 120m. Do you have any suggestions to check first? I’ve tried different antennas on the RX side, but none of them helped. Tx is foamed already.

This is the antenna I wanted to use first:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002531405769.html (8DBI 80x22, With IPEX Connector)

This is my RX side:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003150049915.html (GT-24 MINI)

This is my TX side:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32719545755.html (NRF24L01 SMD)

Correct, Temp/10 °C

Have you tried the newest software version? In old versions, there was a problem with timing of the NRF module. This has been fixed in V1.5. You may also incerease the timing even further, see line 46 in Source/BREmote_Rx/Communication.ino
LINK

Yes, I was on v.1.5 and today I’ve upgraded to v1.6.

I played now with the timing increase, but that did not help unfortunately. Am I using the right modules? (links above)

The modules are looking like mine - altough being from a different seller.
If you have spare parts, I would recommend to populate a second Tx Board, then flash the Rx software on it and check if the range is better with that (eliminate the Rx PCB and Rx NRF Module)
Also, lets shift this discussion to a private chat or WhatsApp, and report the result here.

Hello,

What’s your print setup, I found that the main bodies have a little weakness on the handle side foot (although this would be glued so it should not be a problem).

Thanks,
Joss

Hi Joss,

As can be also found in the README

Print settings:

• All parts are already in correct orientation for printing!
  • Only Main_Body needs support.
  • Nozzle Dia 0.4mm
  • Layer Height 0.2mm
  • First Layer 0.3mm
  • PETG recommended.

I have a very cheap Ender3-clone…
Looks like you have bad layer adhesion.
Try printing slower, hotter or with more extrusion multiplier.

Hey,

Thanks a lot, I use very similar settings, what’s your infill %?
I use PLA though, maybe that’s the issue, maybe I shall increase the wall thickness a little then.

First layer is ok actually and adhesion is generally fine (I always check with the skirt).

I’ll reprint with a small variations.

Joss

20% infill.
Some people have built the BREmote with PLA as well without problems.
Looking forward to see your finished remote!

Thanks that’s what I use as well.

Yeah me too! Sadly my wife said no remote before you finish the carpentry…
Got the print from JLCPCB today, it’s been a bit of a battle to get them to add back the USB port (looks like it was an issue in their ssytems)

1 Like

Hi guys.

Anyone in the US ordered the electronic components for Ludwig’s controller (thank you Ludwig)?
Min order is 5 which brings your total to $132. Happy to go $26 plus shipping if someone has spare boards. I need the long range version.

Alternatively I’m happy to order and offer my spare boards here if anyone is interested?

Hi there, min. order for PCB is 5 but for population you can select 2 pieces only.

1 Like

Thank you,

Did not realise that and thanks so much for all the effort invested in this project for everyone to enjoy.

2 Likes

For the LR version, make sure to order 2x the Rx wireless module “Color: GT-24 SMD” as well as the antenna for the LR version: 40mm version

1 Like