DIY 6384 Foil Drive Assist from South Germany

How confident are you in the waterproofness of the Aluminum case?

Rather than the supplied foam seal, you could fill the female side with a bead or silicone.

@nekitesurfing Looks to be approx an FA38 case. Heaps of manufacturers when you search for that.

2 Likes

Manufacturer Bopla. IP66

https://www.reichelt.de/alugehaeuse-360x160x91-mm-ip66-bopla-a-135-p345046.html?search=bopla+a

1 Like

Hi Friend,

I am impressed from your project and targeting to use your setup.
I wonder if you used it as complete efoil or just as foil assist.
I am prone surfing (as well we wing) and I want to just add assist so I can easily fly before the wave is coming

1 Like

How much thermal epoxy did it take to fill the motor? I just don’t wanna mix more than I need.

50gr - 55gr thermal epoxy

1 Like

Greetings from the Côte d’Azur. :sunglasses: :call_me_hand:
Since the Mistral wind was strong every day of my short vacation, I didn’t really get to test my Assist much.
I kitesurfed for two days and then of course I tested my Assist with the Ride Engine Prone Board.
I am very happy with my setup. It has very good acceleration and everything runs perfectly.

When it gets warmer again in Germany, the Slingshot Board will be tested and various front wings. Now it’s time for my 2nd build. I will create a separate topic for this!

9 Likes

Thermal epoxied my first 2 motors!! Turned out good and will be nice after cleaning them up. Thank you @hangloose for sharing your genius!!

3 Likes

Don`t this maytech 6384 motors work without epoxy? They advertise with ceramic bearing and waterproof?

These aren’t maytech motors. I use cheap 6384 motors from AliExpress.

2 Likes

how did you removed the stator?

Inside the stator, the stator base can also be reached via the socket.
Place a washer on the can and knock out the base with a punch or long screw and hammer. You hold the stator in your hand.
First of all, of course, take out all the bearings.

i had so much up pitching with this foil and stab setup. how did it go for you?

Be careful with this method. My first motor I tried this on went brilliantly. I tried it on a second one last week and the windings were stuck to both parts without me knowing (not visible until separate). This process broke some copper windings as they separated.

Yes, some of them have some epoxy on the wires that sticks to the housing. I always heat mine up now before removing the stator and haven’t had any issues.

2 Likes

@Bzhwindtalker

Since I only ran two batteries, I didn’t have much time to optimize. But my setup worked very well. The large Quantum 100 gave me enough buoyancy. Almost too much. I can go back 3cm further from the mast position. In further tests I will shimme the mast top plate by 0.5-1° or the backwing. I will also test my other frontwings SpaceSkate and Apollo.

I had to shim the mast by 5° but I think it also depends on your board usbox angle compared to the water line.
I have much better pumping and stance on the 48cm rear wing, but it is then super slow setup, way too slow to catch waves, and also not ideal as the motor Can not spin enouth to get phase amps close to battery amps.

Did you recall your RPM when riding ?
Phase amps?

Because you have same foil and 8s, that could tell me if I have a too Big prop.

Adam

Hi Adam.
Since I didn’t have enough time on my short vacation by the sea, I didn’t really look at the RPM.
But I have the data from my pool test.
However, only battery power.

Note that I use 10S3P.

The plug is too much details for me. As i am in first build. Haave you seen a commercial plug that might fit?

These plugs are worth the effort if you have a 3D printer.

1 Like

isn’t there somewhere where I could but connectors?