EML-Store.com - The Efoil Propeller Store

Thanks for all the input! Prop looks good in the air just in water is not good like its unbalanced, both blades open but still the same vibration. Have sent it to @Manufoil who kindly offered to check the balance :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

if it is ok in air, then balancing is ok. From video I assume you have a lot of cavitation on the tips. This might be your problem.

Do you have a log? 16S 120kv is kind of brutal, maybe the prop is not designed for such high rpm. It was tested on 12S I think

Well I designed the propeller with low pitch. 16S should be fine. Right now @Sourcecode and me figuring out what is causing the vibrations.

1 Like

Interesting problem. Doubt it in this case, but in theory blades can be pretty well balanced in air, without being 100% symmetrical, that would cause problem in water. Another thing came to my mind is the motor mount to mast stiff/solid enough?

Any follow up for what appeared to be wrong with this one? Thinking about ordering a folder myself but figured I might as well ask. Thanks

Hi! One production step for the blades of the folding propeller is fine grinding. That will take about 4h. It seemed that one blade have been longer in the grinding process and lost to much of weight. That’s why the unbalancing occured.

I’m testing right now a different production method where the surface is already smooth and doesn’t need that extra fine grinding process.

That also takes the price down!

The material is already tested for the Hyperdrive Propeller and I’m really really happy with it. At full speed on air there is absolutely no vibration, it’s butter smooth :wink:

For the FOLD I need to test further. I will let you know when it’s ready.

2 Likes

HYPERDRIVE PROPELLER - out of new material

3 Likes

looking forward to the folding one !

1 Like

Next batch ready and almost sold out! Two white folding propellers are still available for a beta tester price of 139€ + shipping:
1x for Flipsky 65161 motor
1x for 6384 / 63100 motor

→ Just write me a PM (first come first serve)

7 Likes

Hi,

I recently tested the 3 blade version of the prop. Unfortunately I had no luck with the prop.

My setup:
Gong Rise L wing with 1900cm2 of surface area.
Flipsky 120KV motor.
200A VESC
50Ah 12S battery
28kg Board @ 125L 165x59cm
80Kg rider including wetsuit
VESC set to 150A on the motor and 125A on the battery

With the settings I was barely able to get out the water. And upon foiling the max motor current stayed at 150A even after getting to speed. Even foiling at lower speeds resulted in a very high motor current. The battery input setting of 125A was never reached. After about a minute or five the VESC started cutting power to the motor since it started to getting too warm. The top speed with 150A on the motor was about 25 to 30kph. Unfortunately I lost the log of that ride but will try it again so I can add it to this page.

What I have seen now is a battery current that is very low and a motor current that is way too high. What you want is a motor current that is relatively close (or equal) to your battery current when up foiling. This means that the motor is running at the highest voltage and therefore you can get the most power and efficiently out of it. As an extra with equal currents there are less losses in the MOSFET’S giving you a even more efficient ride. Running the motor at such a high current will generate a lot of losses, the power loss in the 1.5m 8AWG cables alone @ 150A is already a whopping 143W (normal 23W @ 60A).

This prop might work better with the 100KV motor but I doubt it, it would probably have very little starting power but might preform a bit better with the current due to its lower RPM.

To give an idea of my propellor experience, I have tried the following propellors

• 3 blade prop from Seahorse
  • 2 blade 7 inch Flying rodeo prop
  • 3 blade 7 inch Flying rodeo prop
  • cut to 7 inch Flipsky prop
  • standard Flipsky prop
  • EML 3 blade
  • 3D printed frankenstein

Also ranked in efficiency order, with the best being at the top.

The standard Flipsky prop isn’t balanced when bought and does require some static balancing. But besides that isn’t such a bad prop, it has the most starting power of all of them but therefore the lowest top speed at 32kph.

The cut Flipsky does require some static balancing skills and a grinder. It has equal starting power to the normal one and has a top speed of 35kph.

the 2 and 3 blades from FR are similar in starting performance and topspeed 42kph. They also share the exact same blade design for both the 2 and 3 blade version what is already questionable. Non the less the 2 blade is very efficient at 57.3Wh/km I expect a little lower for the 3 blade.

The Seahorse, unfortunately not available yet. Has the lowest starting power but still enough for a 115Kg rider with my setup an a top speed of 45kph. The efficiency is even higher with a slightly higher speed than the FR 2 blade at 54,4Wh/km

The EML see above.

The 3D Frankenstein, It works but thats just it lots of vibration and very poor efficiency 100 to 110Wh/km and a 30kph top speed.

See the 2 added pictures for the ride overview. The topspeed here isn’t tested just a cruise efficiency test.
I will try to do some more test with the 3 blade FR and the Flipsky props and add them here too, I will try the EML prop as well but I don’t expect it to make the round due to the VESC overheating.

3 Likes

Hi Kwinty,

that’s very interesting! We have almost the same setup (120KV,12S) and I optimized the 3 blade for this rpm. The only difference is that I’m using a RL 1150 wing and yours got almost the double surface with 1900. Maybe you got some seaweed on the prop ? :wink:

That’s how my log looks like:

1 Like

Hi,

I also have the Gong curve M-T @ 1150cm2, ill give that a try again. In your log I also see a very high motor current compared to a low input current when foiling at 25/30kph. At high speed this seems to even out at 95% duty at 110 battery and 134 motor seems okay. Is 42kph at 110A input its max speed, or does get beyond this? I’ll make some high speed runs next time. Any available logs with full speed for a few minutes?

Looking at your log the prop seems to be what I would expected from a 3D nylon print.

Oh and for sure I had nothing in the prop :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi there,
I am interested in those propellers. I am running a Maytech MT165162-SF with 14S battery.
I am unsure about the KV rating as I did not buy the motor myself. It is either 100KV or 120KV.
I am 76kg and board is quite light with fairly large wing (1600). What propeller would you recommend and what is the lead time?
Located in France.
Thanks !

Hi Remi,

the propellers are tested and working well with 100KV and 120KV motors. I got one 2 blade prop left. It can be shipped out to France this week.

Note: The propellers does not fit for motors with splinded shafts.

Cheers,

Frank

Awesome, I just placed the order for the 2 blade prop. Yes I have the threaded M8 version. Thanks.

Hi there, I’m trying to see if anyone has built a three blade folding prop that would fit on a Lift efoil? Additionally, I’d really love to have a 3 blade prop that can freely spin (like what Flite has) for my Lift. Has anyone made something like this? Thanks so much!

-Marty
Marty.Greenberg@gmail.com

I wanted to report on the 2 blade prop. Very impressed with the quality and improvement it brought. I probably get close to 20% more range.
Using Maytech 100kV motor @14S
I can feel it is a bit less smooth than my former 4 blade prop, but not an issue at all.
If the price could go down that would be awesome as we can find flightboard props for 35€ (which unfortunately requires drilling a larger hole to fit Maytech/Flipsky motors)

Hi @remi812 , thanks for the nice feedback.

I got very good news! I could achieve to reduce the production costs quite a lot. That’s why I now can sell it now to a much cheaper price:

I also added new products to the store.
The next batch just arrived and is in stock now:

For more information just visit: eml-store.com

7 Likes

Hi Kwinty. Do you have an availability date ?