Flightjunkie's first e-foil build

Great vid, excellent music. Only thing to work on is your choice of unit for velocity.

1 Like

I was anxious your leash went in the propeller during all your videos, especially at times where the propeller is almost at the surface

Been riding for over a year with this leash. Never had an issue. I went with a long leash for safety, more distance from board during whipe outs in the surf. But now that I’m used to it I could get a shorter leash. But, it doesn’t reach the prop. Not yet anyways! :rofl::crossed_fingers:

:call_me_hand:

I had an scary moment when I fell in middle of choppy waters and took a while to swim and catch the board again. I have been thinking about using leash. But I am worried about new risks it can introduce:
1-being close to board while board thumbing and it could hit me hard,
2- leash gets tangled to mast and becomes hard to free myself
3-obvious one that leash gets in to prop

I have been looking in to retractable leash it os expensive and I am not sure of it can reduce any of those risks please let me know what you think

Hi.

When falling you learn to shoot the board away from you. It’s a different technique with a leash. My leash is 10’. The wave is gone, the leash pulls tight just before I surface. This gives me the knowledge that my board is 10’ away, in that direction. I surface, pull the leash, and catch the board. Works pretty good.

With a big wave the pull on the leash is over 100lbs of force. I wouldn’t trust a retractable leash.

I recommend watching some SUP foil surfers. Like Dave Kalama and see what leashes they use. In this video he has a super long calf leash and has the slack attached to his waist, or just looped in his pants. Works good.

Just my opinion. And yes. No matter what you do, there is some danger to foiling in waves.

Be safe out there!

1 Like

May i ask what speed you get out of the 14s battery with the 65161 motor and this wing?
Im doing a similar build and im just getting in chosing a correct motor

Hi.

In my humble opinion the 65161 motor is currently the second best motor behind the Lift / FR motor. I have both.

I recommend the 120kv 65161 motor.

The speed is limited by the foil not the motor. I do 20-25mph with the 65161 motor depending on the foil and the prop.

Good luck with your build!

1 Like

Ok tht sounds promising
Thank you very much for the info

1 Like

I used a retractable leash for kitesurfing, Eel Reel, It functioned well, but wasn’t needed and overpriced. Worst off it failed after a year $60 gone. They are also bulky! They attach fine to a kitesurfing harness but I don’t know where you would put it just efoiling? A normal leash would have worked fine.

1 Like

Hi guys,

Had a nice glassy ride this morning. Thought I’d share the stoke. I’m still flying on the high.

:sunrise::desert_island::ocean::surfing_man::call_me_hand:

12 Likes

Flightjunkie! So cool when you catch the wave and drop the mike, I mean remote, and just foil surf. Got to get out and do that! :surfing_man: :+1:

1 Like

Great vid!!! Which prop and wing set were you riding for this one? Looks like that setup would be perfect for hijacking boat wakes too.

1 Like

Nice ride and choice of music, almost like David Gilmour:) :+1:

1 Like

Hi.

Thanks for the kind words. I’m riding the slingshot infinity 76 wing. It’s cheap and durable. But, it’s a heavy setup and low aspect ratio. However, it has a wide speed range (7mph - +20mph).

This wing needs about waist high waves to stay on foil without the motor on the e-foil board. I’m using the Lift folding prop.

I plan to try some high aspect foils on the e-foil board and see how they do. I’d like to do power off downwinders. :grin::ocean::surfing_man:

1 Like

Wow this thread is really nice @Flightjunkie!!! My compliments.

I just pulled the trigger on 200 LG cells to build a 14s14p pack. Now looking into moto/esc combo.You use two different types of ESC’s, would you recommend spending the extra on the trampa VESC? Or is the Flier a good way to save money?

Btw: I see a lot of “60V” ESC’s on Ali but then only rated for 12/13S, I don’t really understand.

60v esc usually allow up to 57,5 volt i think before warning for over volt.
If you calculate a cell is up to 4,2 volt you would be over that limit.
You usually want to have some safety margins towards max voltage it can handle before breaking.
On skateboards you also using break and regeneration of battery. That can cause voltage spikes towards The esc and that is The reason usually 60volt esc are marked as 12s.
If you charge your 14s batteries to 4.0 volt it will probably work.

Hi.

Thanks for the compliment. I glad you’ve enjoyed the thread. This e-foiling has been a fun DIY project!

I totally recommend the Trampa 75/300 VESC. But, do not attempt to use it for efoil without housing it in a nice deep bath of CorrosionX. Moisture, and condensation will kill it even if you don’t have any leaks.

See my posts on this. Fill the aluminum box with CorrosionX untill the liquid is up to the top of the VESC. Too deep and it could cause the bluetooth signal to be weak. I’ve been running mine like this for a year now. No issues so far.

3 Likes

@heddan99;Thanks, makes sense, but it was a bit confusing to me. Nominal voltage of 14s should be well within the 60V range.

@Flightjunkie; Thanks! So went ahead and did go to the website… out of stock. “1x VESC 75V 300A” https://trampaboards.com/1x-vesc-75v-300a-in-cnc-t6-silicone-sealed-aluminum-box--the-most-powerful-vedder-electronic-speed-controller-ever--p-26627.html

So would you think the Trampa 75V/250A still is a better alternative to the Flier 400a with the firmware you stated?

Thanks again, you definately have experience in electronics under harsh conditions.

1 Like

Prefer VESC over Flier, I had both. VESC is nice because you can configure tons of prameters, especially current limits. HGL-tech, flipsky, makerX sell knockoffs called 75200. I’m quite happy with my hgltech 75200. Vesc also has FOC mode which makes the motor run more silent and current control which lets you control the currentt (proportional to torque.

1 Like

Flight Junkie,
Do you need to worry about carrying the board sideways or upside down? Sometimes I take it to deeper water upside down. Would this be a problem for the corrosion X? On another note… We all want to see a video of you and your board on the OneWheel. Do you lock it with a cable at your destination?
Thanks

1 Like