Flightjunkie's second board. Invention of the SUP efoil

For people looking for latches. I purchased these GEM latches from ebay, to replace my Chinese latches. These work great. I had an issue with water leaking through the center shaft on my old latches. These don’t have that issue and work great!!!

Update!!! Added some pics. With the ebay Gem latches, included are the short backing plate. Gemlux website offers other backing plates if needed. You will notice I had to cut mine in half. Reason being is that I didn’t make my compartment very large and it was hitting the battery when closing. I could have just moved the latches more aft, but that would require moving locking plate/tab. There isn’t much force need when opening the lid. I also made a few plastic spacers to fill the gap between the lid and backing plate, just incase anyone ask. The locking tabs inside the board, you can just use a piece of plexiglass or in my case I just made a epoxy resin block and sanded it down.

3 Likes

Looks good Sean. I like the two tone look with the racing stripe!

Now, let’s go ride!

:call_me_hand:

1 Like

A link to the ebay listing would be nice and might help other people to source them.

Hi.

It’s posted a few posts back. Scroll up.

Can you show the inside of it of the lid and the locking receiving end in the compartment? I believe the locking part that would be located in the board does not come with that offer on eBay correct?

Hi.

I’m not sure what Sean used, but I just used some acrylic blocks.

2 Likes

@Flightjunkie

Two part question…

How did you end up doing the finish coat on the SUP efoil? It looks like carbon, then paint, then clear coat?

How is that finish coat holding up in comparison to the Lift board?

I know you are an active user and often hit things, so I’m curious how the finish looks on the Lift after so many hours vs. whatever you used on the SUP in comparison.

Hi.

The Lift board just seems to be a single stage paint. The paint is adhered pretty good on the Lift board but it scratches and chips off pretty easy. But, I’m not too concerned about cosmetics. I think it looks cool with chips in the paint and the black carbon showing through.

My DIY board is Carbon with a layer of S-glass over it for impact strength. As you know Carbon is strong, but easily cracks if impacted due to its rigid nature. It’s heavier than it needed to be, but I launch from the boat, and needed the board to be able to handle impacts.

The board finish was then smoothed out with epoxy and micro balloon filler, sanded, painted, and clear coated. I think my friend said the paint was actually gelcoat. Then clear coated over.

It’s holding up pretty good.

2 Likes

Greeting Flightjunkie
I used these anti spark connectors for my board due to a pop noise/spark when connecting my battery,no more pop, testing today. Your thoughts on longevity and safety?

Thanks,
Daniel

Hi. They should last a long time. You can clean and or tighten the contacts if needed over time.

Hi guys. I stuck my phone in my board today and attempted to data log for the first time.

I’m terrible with VESC. Trying to learn and get better…

I have an Android phone, and a PC. Looks like my phone logged the file as a (.csv) file. Is there anyway to view this data on the Android phone after recording it? I was able to view on the data on my PC, but I’m unclear on how to best do so.

It was just a short ride today. I’d like to figure out this VESC logging thing. And how to save and share my VESC settings. I just fumbled around with the VESC settings untill it worked. I’m sure there is lots of room for improvement.

Any advice from you guys with VESC experience would be appreciated. I’d like to provide useful data for the community. I have a 65161 motor, and the FR motor and the 3 blade FR prop and a 2 blade folding prop, and I’d like to print some props to play around with.

If there is any interest, and I can figure this out I’d like to do some side by side comparisons.

Keep flying my friends!

:sunglasses::call_me_hand::beers:

Sorry. I can’t help you, but did you put corrosion x in it? :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Metr or the new iLog is for sure most convenient. My logs are all done by metr. As you already figured out for vesc log there is some manual effort needed. I have never used it, sorry bruh

1 Like

For CSV files, I use Excel to build the graphs of the parameters I want. It’s a bit easier than using the vesc tool.

1 Like

Is this just a matter of opening the file in Excel, or do you have to be fluent in Excel? Because I suck at Excel! :rofl::sob:

I purchased the ilogger.

Sounds like it’s still in the testing and development stage. I hope mine ships soon.

Any updates @WavRX ?

Normally just open in excel, then select required columns, then insert 2d line graph…

1 Like

There are a few people questioning how much our builds cost. Especially in the Waydoo chat. Here is a breakdown of my cost. It is possible to build your own efoil at the cost of the waydoo efoil.

The boards (Front and Right) are DIY. The cost breakdown for my build (board in front):
Board Blank $120
Carbon Fiber/Resin $300 (This might be a little over, because of trail and error)
Foil $500 (You can use a chinese or find a used foil online)
Electronics $1200 (motor, esc, remote, bec, longer antenna, balance plugs, battery plugs, 2 battery chargers, 2 power supplies, + extra for doing things twice)
Lid Latches $75 (Ebay Gem Compression Latches, lid mounting latches)
Battery $1000 (cells, cell holders, fuse wire, plugs, wire, box)
Deck Pad $50
Handles $20
Prop $400 (I purchased a few props $7 ali props, and got a deal on a lift folding prop)
3d printer $300 (if you have a friend with one, you can save a lot of money)
solder iron $50
Corrosion X $25 :laughing:

My grand total is $4040 USD, give or take a couple dollars. As you can see this is rounded up. Parts and supplies may cost more where you live, but overall you will be very cost to this price range. This doesn’t account for all the time spent on this forum, time spent building everything. Almost a year worth of research and trail and error, repairing things a couple times. But everyone on the forum has been awesome in sharing files to help each other out.

I hope this helps to clear things up!!!

Efoil session youtube link

3 Likes

I’m at about 1100USD for my build, even slightly less. It flies :smiley:

1 Like

Thx for your cost break down Sean.

Let’s get out on the water again soon!

One of the few social distancing activities allowed!

1 Like