Foil Assist with Flipsky 65111 for Axis Mast (and Flipsky 75100 ESC)

Update. System works well. Quite powerful.
This box is cheap and very waterproof. Had it at the bottom of the pool for 1hr and no water went in ( https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLiPciS )

Next. Change the settings on the VESC system for the remote. As now there is no transition goes from off to on too quickly and the motor gets clogged. I appreciate help with this.

@chrisfoil when do you reckon you’ll get the motor? Very curious to see how you set it up using VESC software. Also what remote do you plan to use?

Your battery setting is not correct.
You’ve chosen Lithium Iron 2.6v 3.6v (eg LiFePO4) , you’re using LiPo whose voltage varies like Li-Ion so 3.0v - 4.2v

1 Like

Thanks a lot @SoEFoil so I’ll change that to LiIon instead.

Any recommendations on how to set up the remote control such that if I accelerate fully, it’ll do it but slowly? Currently it dot so quickly the motor suddenly clogs itself.
Thx

I finally got my motor on christmas day, what a coincidence haha. So I am currently into designing the remote housing for the sender unit, as I want to build by own remote control. The prototyping went good so far with BLE and hall sensor for throttle etc. I hope it will be somewhat waterproof xD

I can post some images when I fully assembled it, maybe next week. That means that I cannot spend anymore time on motor etc.

1 Like

App Settings / VESC Remote / Throttle Curve: two parameters in efoil/surf mode (XX no reverse):

• 1- “Throttle expo” field allows to create a soft start (eg not to break a 3D printed prop during startup), the more negative the number the smoother the start [typ -20].
  • 2- “Throttle expo mode” accentuates the smoothing effect: Exponential > Polynomial > Natural.

Everything is explained here for an Esk8 which has a (Throttle expo) brake feature not present for efoils:

1 Like

I am following your ideas too. Thank you!! I would like to learn how to use Fusion 360 too.

I have a question: what is the formula that determines which battery voltage/amperage to use in relation to the motor and ESC?

Thanks again for any answers or comments.

Todd

Hello,
Nice Project, I’m thinking going in the same direction.
But is 12s lipo with 160kv motor not too fast for the propeller ?
I saw 160kv with 6S liion configs, if I remember ?
Advantages I see is to be able to use battery to the end (near 36V), and with foc efficiency will not be too bad at the beginning or when driving at 25%
But what about 12S voltage and possibles salt water injuries ?
Thanks for help

1 Like

Hello @tkramer, Fusion 360 doesn’t take that long to learn. There are so many tutorials on youtube.

Regarding what are the voltage & amp requirements, those are get dictated by your motor. Check the specifications of the motor you are looking at. e.g. for the motor I have used, Flipsky 65111, the manufacturer posts the following specifications:

• Item Type: DC Motor
  • Weight: Approx. 2203g / 77.71oz
  • Maximum Power :3000W
  • Maximum Current :70A
  • KV: 160KV
  • Continuous Power :1500W
  • Battery Model: 8-12s
  • Rated Current: 30A

Therefore, I know I’ll need between 8 to 12 cells. Using 3.6V/cell it’ll be a range 33.6-50.4V range.
Then Max Current is 70A.
Therefore need to ensure the ESC can handle such voltage range and peak current.

good luck

@jpx this project is not for an e-foil, but rather a foil assist, to have a 10sec burst to let me take off with low winds. Hope soon I can test it in the sea soon.

Lipo & water are not very good friends. A good waterproof box is essential. Try it out first without electronics inside. Also check this post: Foil Assist with Flipsky 65111 for Axis Mast (and Flipsky 75100 ESC) - #21 by SurfingElectronics

on the 2 kill switches the set-up has, one temperature switch, another magnetic one in case I fall.
enjoy it!

@chrisfoil great!, looking forward to see your set up. Share the details of your remote control. Not happy with the cheap one I got. So got a Flipsky vx3, which I’m waiting for.

Just a fyi, there are a lot of fake fotek ssds out there and even the real one probably would would need a heat sync if you were really going to be running anywhere near the 100A rating.

Also not sure if cutting off the battery while the prop is moving will generate a large voltage spike on the ESC and SSD, that could kill it if it goes over the mosfet ratings.

For the remote check the range that you don’t have glitching, I had the same one,. There was a couple positions that would glitch full throttle or no throttle, the theory was the code in the remote was bad, but they might have fixed it.

Prop looks sweet! Is it popping open and closed as expected?

1 Like

Had the first time in the sea yesterday. worked ok. It gave me just that push that I needed to be up on the foil.

@brycej The SSD I got it off Aliexpress. For now works well, haven’t checked what’s the max current it reached while using.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002122062643.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.5.48171802q8qVnV

Good point on cutting the battery while prop moving.
The remote finally working well, I followed the @SoEFoil 's recommendation (Foil Assist with Flipsky 65111 for Axis Mast (and Flipsky 75100 ESC) - #28 by SoEFoil). And now it’s very smooth acceleration.

1 Like

Hi @SurfingElectronics,
Good news,
So you are in 12s on a 65111 flipsky ?
What is the size of your propeller ?
How did you manage the output cable ?
Have you got photos ?
Thanks,

Hi @jpx yes, read history above.
For the output cable, I made 3 holes to the case, one for each phase. See pic below.

For the propeller, I’ve 3d printed myself I’m PETG 95% filled. There is a link in the history to the actual file. I assume you’ll be doing the same set-up?

Hello,
Thanks I was speaking about the wire side of engine. (you wrote previously :“Have a few ideas about how to house the cables too. Will post when done.”)
For the config I hesitate. I found the 65111 too heavy (more than 2kg regarding a 6374 of 700g).
I’m not fan having 12s voltage near me with salt water with an DIY islolation.

I’m stilll searching a 6374 motor without holes in clutch like these used in official foil drive product…
If somebody know where I can find it ?

Regards

1 Like

thank you for the explanation. I am starting to understand basic electronics.

TK

Yes, I agree. Unnecessarily heavy. If you know of any waterproof smaller motor with similar thrust would be happy to try.
Cheers

Hello, new to this site/forum.
I was hoping to do a similar build. I have spent a lot of time with electric cars/boats/planes, so hopefully building will be easier.

SurfingElectronics, I appreciate your time sharing your project.
Would it be possible to get a STL 3d print file of the motor to axis mast mount for this 65111 motor.
Could you send or create a link for it??

I would really appreciate it.
Thanks so much

1 Like

@gzmann sure, will do next week. On hols now.