Foil Drive Assist, DIY

I always solder on the outside, nothing has broken yet.

1 Like

Is there an advantage for a folding propeller, when motor placed at the top part of the mast and is essentially out of the water when not in use ?

Similar question about duct. Duct gives safety and adds drag when in use, but does not add drag when not in use, considering the motor mounted at the top of the mast, right?

My logic for what it’s worth.

As the duct and/or non folding prop exit the water there is a more dramatic reduction in drag compared to a rig with no duct and/or the prop has already folded.

The inverse of course is true when the prop and/or duct enter the water

I think the goal is to make those transitions as “smooth” as possible to not disrupt the riders balance.

1 Like

quick feedback on 8S3P & 12S2P - P42 with the Maytech 100A ESC. In a nutshell, it’s CRAP. The ESC saturates super quickly while reaching very quickly the 70°C temp which makes it saturate even more. In other terms, avoid this ESC. It’s money loss for what we want to do.

I’m 72kg with a 35L board and a 186mm tip to tip folding prop.

1 Like

For @Jesserosco at 86kg using 8s3p 6384 150KV Maytech 100A on 56L is working fine.

Detachable motor cable connector:
Here is a little summary and I invite you to discuss

@Toto44 please can you send me stl for gong mast please :star_struck::kissing_closed_eyes::hugs::partying_face:
Thanks again

Hi, Please deposit .stl files. I can’t get .step files to read. Thank you.

1 Like

A little video of my foil drive assist DIY kit : MOSES kitefoil17L board, 63100, lipo 6S 20A, ESC Flycolor 150A, foil Gong XXLT (1900 cm²)
(weight : 70kg)

4 Likes

Just scroll up. I already postet the thingiverse link.

1 Like

Super
I didn’t see files in the folders
so okay
Thanks very much

Video of my diy system with cut down folding prop, maytech 6374 and 100A maytech controller.
The cut down prop and the 48cm Big rear wing really help reduce heating. But it is still under powered!

2 Likes

Hello, did you attempt a rewind? I have one here with very thin wires that were damaged from a previous project, and I would like to rewind it.

I have ordered materials to do the rewinding.
Original had 12 x0.38diam copperwire. 10 turns. Suppose to give 170 kv.
Im going for 4x 0,7 diam 11 turns. Il’l let you know how it turns out!

The stator of my red 6374 is only 48mm. Not sure if it is worth it to rewind versus the maytech 6374 I already have. If I remeber well most sucessful FDA use 55mm+ wide stators.

@okp thanks for those pictures. I am also planning a build and would like to do the same 12s2p configuration you are creating. Can you please take a picture of the other side of the batteries, so we can see how you welded the cells on that side? Somehow it confuses me…

sure

My stator is just shy of 53mm at least :+1:

1 Like

Here are some photos of the @Strongarm Armstrong design on a Axis ALU mast. I’m currently printing a mod of that design to better fit axis so will post if I have sucess.

1 Like

I will pray for your success. If you fail, here is a link to a file already adapted for Axis.

3 Likes