Foil Drive Assist, DIY

It should work - I’m using the free version and someone above ended up getting to work. I’ll have a look at settings and see if I can change something. Otherwise I might have to signup to thingiverse and upload that way :slight_smile:
Larger hole pattern should be better

1 Like

I was similar using FOC mode on a similar setup - I kept getting fault cut-outs when pushing over about 50 Amps with a similar motor. Tried for a while and referred to other forum topics that cover FOC issues with VESC (mine was a DRV related fault).

Ended up getting frustrated with the number of times bailing over the front when it cutout :joy: and changed the settings from FOC to BLDC mode and haven’t had an issue since. I only really draw 60Amps peak on my setup - yes the BLDC is slightly noisier but I couldn’t justify spending more time on it.

1 Like

I’ve been able to run mine in full efoil mode (30-40Amps continuous) until the battery dies. ESC gets up to about 65C. I have just mounted it hard up against the plastic side wall and it hasn’t come close to overheating. I’m using this VESC VESC 6 MkVI TRAMPA

I like the fan concept though. Anything that avoids another hole in the case is good.

1 Like

thanks, for some reasons the motor detection in BLDC fails.

Hi Everyone,

How have people mounted the assist case on their boards where there is not enough space behind the deck pad. The board I intend to use has a deck pad with a kick tail almost all the way to the back of the board. I could try to cut out a section of the deck pad but keen to know if anyone has found an alternative solution.

Thanks,

James

Did you calculated the different parameter like flux linkage, inductance ect yourself using formula? Detection was off by heaps in my case, had low power in FOC and couldn’t run BLDC at all. As soon as I entered correct parameter it worked perfectly

2 Likes

for my wingboard, the kick is towards the back, but I foil a few inches forward of it anyway…I just cut a section out the width of the narrow side of box. A buddy has a diy board that he has cut out an indent and sunk box in 3/4…which would work but is pretty major surgery. Possibly could also fit in between feet in surf stance, that may be best option for prone boards.

1 Like

Hey James.

If your board has footstrap holes at the rear you can use these and place box over the tail kick pad.

I just use a strap and loop system to tie the box down. It is best to cut the tail kick off to get it all flush and low profile.

Or try cutting a plate mount for fixings to footstrap screw holes out of plastic chopping boards, carbon fibre sheet, aluminium sheet or Perspex or anything stiff enough and low profile.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips.

Thanks for this. Using the foot strap inserts could work well. If you get a chance, please a picture of your mounting method with ties.

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks for this. As a couple others have noted this isn’t downloadable unfortunately. Could you perhaps upload it elsewhere? Thanks!

Any way to post the file? Does anyone have a sup paddle remote holder stl or 3d print file?

I have tried to share the file on the forum without success. If you can walk me thru the process I will share the file. Or message me your email and I can share it that way.

If you have google drive you can upload it there and share the link in a reply/post here or if you have a google/gmail account I can share my drive and you can upload it there. I can share the file here as well.

I just joined the site so I dont have access to DM as of yet, so I cant send you my email and dont feel comfortable putting my email in a post. lmk

1 Like

Hey, I’m a new member so can’t private message you. Can you email to hello [at] nickoldfield.co.nz and I could share downloadable link back to you or here.

Thanks

Yes, i will share it with you shortly.

hi, follow up on this. were you able to send the file to @NickOldfield?

Yes it was sent a few days ago.

@s9tim sent the file to you several days ago. Can you share a link to download?

Sorry here is @s9tim file for the maytech remote holder. Thank you very much. Maytech Paddle Mount.stl - Google Drive

3 Likes