Foil Drive Assist, DIY

Nice vid, filmed a bit high but we can clearly see the swirl behind the board stopping which is the FDrive purpose.
This is clearly a marginal / low wind session, I would say sub 11 knots as we can’t see any whitecap.

• What is your weight ?
  • What is your gear : foil front wing and WF wing surfaces ?
  • What is your lowest wind limit takeoff with and without the foil drive ?
1 Like

My weight is 80kg, my frontfoil is a Gong Allvator 2200 cm2, my pumping technique is not good, but pretty solid (maybe 6 of 10 points)

I’m not familiar with knots in this low wind area, so I’m not able to anwer you precisely. But I guess I’m able to e-wing under 10 knots (forecast was 6-8 knots). On this (and a couple of other days with same condition) I would have no chance to get on foil, I even wouldn’t hold up hight.

1 Like

I have been running my 120kv motor with the magnets filled and dipped in corrosion x every 6 runs for 9 months now, probably over 100 hours of saltwater use with only light corrosion showing on the outer bell housing. I change the bearings out with the same cheap stainless ones every 20 hours or so.

Been using a 6s2p battery with plenty of power at 82kgs. Even enough to flat water foil for 10-15 minutes. I tried a 6s1p and I could get up with a wave but it lacked power so I stuck with the 2p configuration.

3 Likes

Interesting to see the 6s2p performs well. Is this with P42a batteries?

Yes, using the Molicel P42a cells

This is what the inside of the motor looks like after 100 hours of saltwater use with no water proofing except for corrosion x on occasion.

15 Likes

Could you also take pictures of the magnets?

I just put it back together and mounted/taped to my mast, but next time I pull it apart I will upload pictures of the magnets.

Do you mean from the parcel to the sea without even changing the bearings ?

I would also be grateful if you could make a video of the process of treating the motor with corrosion X. My rotor and stator rust even in fresh water when treated with epoxy.

Yes that is correct, no initial bearing change. Straight from parcel to soak in corrosion x to seawater.

That does it; I’m bathing in it.

It’s a huge part of maintaining my commercial e-foil as well.

1 Like

I have a can of corrosion X, can i just spray inside instead of bathing it? thanks

Sorry got my threads mixed up. Just spray enough to that it coats everything properly.

You can spray the inside but I think soaking it for 30 minutes or so helps it get inside the bearings and the copper windings better.

I probably should spray the electronic inside the waterproof box and do you think i can spray the battery too? Just in case water get inside and it won’t ruin the battery? thanks

Hello guys

Inspired by this post I decided to build a Foil drive for light e-foiling and Assist.

I built on a gong X-over Xl, with an epoxied 8364 120kv, 6S4P 21700, flycolor 150A and 3D printed prop from Leachim.

Succcesfull points: everything seems Waterproof, and nothing burst in flames yet while soldering.

Less successful : i tried on a SUPfoil board (7,6ft) and remained stuck to the water. Speed was quite low and I couldn’t pump on foil. It seemed punchy and torquy enough on startup.

I then set ESC timing to a higher value, and measured draw current + RPM.
Motor seems to spin at around 3000rpm(full throttle), but draws only 50Amps. Which makes it functions at half its power (3000W).

At 3000rpm and 24V, I guess that the load is not enough.

I modified the propeler to make it triple blade, and will test it tomorow.
Or maybe I need one with higher pitch.

What do you guys think ?

This forum is a goldmine, thank you for all the information already

(PS disregard the very messy shed, my wife hates it)

Cheers
Alex

2 Likes

Max mechanical power is at around 70% of free spin rpm. So 0.7×120*25 = 2100 rpm. Increase the pitch and/or diameter until your rpm under load are like that. Mind you, motor efficiency at max mech power is quite low

They work well as an assist or Efoil when up high on the mast. As you move further down the mast the level arm increases which requires more weight forward on the board and more power from the setup. Try mounting the motor up high on the mast. With this setup (6s) we are generally at the lower power range regarding starting on an Efoil.

1 Like

Okay. Thanks.
Before switching to bigger Esc and higher voltage I will try higher on the mast. Clever.
I can fathom how to print the prop to maybe 120%, but anyone know how to increase blade pitch ?