Foil Drive Assist, DIY

As far as safety is concerned, are people wiring in magnetic reed cutoff switches between the RX and ESC? I’m thinking of attaching something like this 2PCS Mechanical Brake Cut Off Magnet Sensor Switch Electric For-Ebike DIY | eBay to the leash, so that if the leash gets pulled, the magnet pops out and disconnects the motor. I’m also looking at getting a pair of these to use as the internal resistance is lower than the typical packs made from 18650s and may be more space efficient. Amazon.com.

Strangely the controller doesn’t give wattage, amperage readouts at the moment. Am I missing something?

Yes, reed switch inline with the pwm signal (usually white wire)

You said you don’t get wattage, please avoid powering your motor with those alligator clips, at the very least, use screw terminal blocks for your bench tests.
I have had unloaded motors that took 800w at startup, you’re putting your setup at risk.
when connected properly, the resistance on the power and phase wires is consistent which is what your ESC needs inorder to work properly and safely.

1 Like

Adding some graphs for those interested…

Seems I’m maxing out the 25R cells :rofl:

1 Like

For both the maytech and flipsky , the watt/amps are not given out unless you have a vesc ESC.

2 Likes

Hi Strongarm,

Excelente solution, can you share where I can have one or how I can do it??
I have an Armstrong performance mast 865 try to find a solution!!
Thanks

Thanks - I made a few upgrades to the design before I moved on to other projects. Inspired by a Tesla door handle on a model 3/Y. Happy to share the step files if anyone wants to borrow the design.

edit: here is the link

This worked well, but the best solution I think it to make a rubber/silicone over molded pod that is stretchy enough so that it fits any mast.

13 Likes

Amazing solution. If you do not mind sharing I will be very thankful.
Also the technique :).

Hi Shearline
late reply - cut off shaft - buy a BEC and Y cable - ensure all Black cables are common to same pin- solder dual battery cables to single XT90
I managed to get the Maytech Handset to pair but motor not running continuously
Replaced the FlyDragon with the Maytech Vesc and are out on the water on an Axis setup
Sent my FlyDragon to a buddy who runs RC planes and buggies to see if can work out what I am missing if I have any update on the FlyDragon will let you know

1 Like

Hi Shearline
Interested in receiving the step files if possible
Thank you

Here is the dropbox link for the files. Dropbox - Armstrong Strap Mount - Simplify your life

6 Likes

Thank you very much Strongarm, hope that help!

Thanks for the files.
Excuse my ignorance, but how does one convert those files to .stl / printer readable???
any simple way ? or not possible ??

Open with Fusion360 of any other cad program and then export to .stl/ 3d print

tried for last hour to do this. Was unable to figure out. I am not a savvy at my older age.
Any chance you could send the stl files to me or put them in a drop box as well?
Thanks

Update regarding Flipsky 75100 ESC:

There are 3 different versions of the flipsky 75100 ESC, the one in my post above I’ve had poor luck with. I destroyed 2 of them experimenting with an Ebike and I really don’t know what happened. The original with the built in aluminum heatsink I’ve been using almost daily in an electric lawnmower for the past year that I ride around my property. The Third version, with the built in water cooling heatsink has also performed well since I upgraded and have been using all summer.

To recap: Flipsky 75100 with aluminum heatsink - Still performing well
Flipsky 75100 with aluminum water cooling - Still Performing Well
Flipsky 75100 with ebike style aluminum case - I’ve had bad luck with these, two failed on ebikes and I don’t really understand why

1 Like

Hello team,

Based on your insights I was able to build the following set up as per the picture below. I also purchased the box and made it fit nicely. However I don’t know how to keep it all in place.
Do you glue do you tape or Velcro?
What are your recommendations on that topic please?

I printed the stand that attaches to the board using 3M double sided tape. The box is placed in it and secured with a Velcro strap.

I used to apply 3M Dual Lock SJ3550CF tape directly to the box and it was a headache - the box kept coming off.

2 Likes

@DaBoca
What ESC are you using?

Finally finished my foil assist and I’m using the BREmote, which works awesome!! I think I’m gonna do a back harness for using my small prone board.

I attached to board with 3m double lock and a strap for good measure

8 Likes

This was a perfect session for the faux drive :grin:

3 Likes