Foil Drive Assist, DIY

Is there a difference in the efficiency of 6384 from different manufacturers? Flipsky, Alien P S, no name Ali?

Yes, the stator width has been different between manufacturers, i think torqueboards were largest when i read it (on diyelectricskateboard forum)

1 Like

There is a difference, of course. The cheapest 120 kv motor from aliexpress is noticeably weaker compared to freerchobby 6384 150 kv or odrive 6374 140 kv.

1 Like

yes, it’s from ali
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005003635443927.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.5cd05e5bBTgGlt&gatewayAdapt=glo2fra

it is supposed to be waterproof, and it was kind of coated, so maybe it was.
nonetheless I dipped it completely in epoxy, while I coated the motor. So far it works well

1 Like

by how many percent approximately? 10 or 50?

I didn’t bench test, just got out on the water, so I don’t have numbers, just words.

Is it possible to get a result

with motor 6384 120 KV noname and Flycolor FlyDragon 150A ESC at 12S?

1 Like

From what i can recall it was a substantial difference, ~20%

Hi all, jumping in late to the party but I’m excited to build one of these. I’m going to make a 8s3p 18650 setup as it seems the extra power helps getting on foil.

I have a question about esc though. I built an electric skateboard a few years back with a vesc. Similar to this one: DIY Electric Skateboard BLDC ESC Based on VESC® 4 — MBoards

Hoping to waterproof with some hot glue and reuse this for this application. Any reason why I shouldn’t?

A motor driver burned out on my 150A vesc controller some time ago and I had the same idea, why not burn another controller. In a few days I will definitely let you know how quickly it will burn.

My 8s4p battery, assembled on Sony vtc6 cells, gets quite hot, I advise you at least 4 parallels.

1 Like

Hello. I think your vesc should work.
It will sit in the waterproof box so no reason to waterproof it. Moreover i think hotglue might melt again. because my own ESC ran quite hot due to no water cooling

Why Flipsky 6384 190 kv phase resistance is 4 times lower than that of 6384 noname. Maybe Flipsky’s windings are connected by a triangle, and the nounames have Y? It’s cheaper to buy two nonames. It is also possible to place two stators from noname on one axis and rewind together and connect two rotors (magnets are 2 times longer). It will be then like 63100))

If resistance is 4 times higher then the noname motor will be wound like sh*t. It’s as simple as that but i guess the kV isn’t the same, then it can’t be compared.

How are you going to “connect two rotors”?

Insert the rotors into a technological pipe - a mandrel, glue carbon plates between the magnets parallel to the axis and fill with epoxy. Then remove the pipe - mandrel

Will the two housings be held on some kind of carbon plates glued between the magnets? Are you seriously?

can be reinforced with a ring between the rotors

Surprisingly, this vesc works! Overheats, though after a minute, a radiator is needed.

Tell me please! Does anyone have any information on using a 6384 120kv motor with a Flycolor FlyDragon 150A ESC 5-12S HV OPTO and a 12s battery. Cooling will be water. Power needed 2 kW 20 min.

1 Like

There was a thread of someone using 10s2p and it was enough to start even on a skimboard, so yeah, 12s should be ok