Foil Drive Assist, DIY

Hello guys
Here is my project so far.
The camden box was fine but can only accomodate 6s4p and a 6s ESC. I could not get on foil on flat water, but it might be enough for an assist in waves.
I wanted more punch so I bought a beefier ESC :6to12s, but it is way bigger, so I needed a bigger box.
I found the black box, which will accept bigger batteries and the big esc.
I made two 6s4p and two 4s4p. I will try 8s, 10s and 12s configuration.
Passive water cooling from the bottom of the box plus a radiator on top of the esc ( and maybe a fan, i dont know yet)
Tests are incoming i will let you know
Cheers!

IMG_20220831_185726|281x500

5 Likes

nice box !!! same as you on 6s on 6384 with a 100L board and 1650 cm2 front wing could not foil (without wave) … I m moved to 8S and it-s much more power (8S4P on 21700 cell) …still very hard to foil (without waves) but the smallest wave take to fly easely …indeed I used the front wing of a friend which is 2200 cms can foil easely but too slow on waves…

1 Like

Do the 6384 120 kv noname windings connected by a triangle or Y?

Hello partners,

I have two questions, I am with a 6384 assembly following many of your instructions, taking from here and there,

1. I have bought ceramic bearings of this type and I don’t know if they are the right ones:

do i need some kind of seal?

2.- I am going to put epoxy on the stator and I see that I have cut 3 winding wires, should I weld them or should I not give it importance?

thanks and greetings

The wiring must new!
Sorry

1 Like

:sob::scream::scream::scream::scream: thanks @JetboardCologne

Nice! I actually decided to buy another vesc and leave my old one on the skateboard. This flipsky unit comes with a heat sink: FLIPSKY VESC Electric Speed Controller for Skateboard FSESC6.7 70A Base on VESC6.6 with Aluminum Anodized Heat Sink https://a.co/d/44RoU7a

and, looking at foil drive’s photos, it looks like they’re using a similar configuration.

Should be coming in the mail in a couple of days. Will be out on the water if all goes well

Finally got my setup built and have been out for several tests. I’m running:

• ebay 6384 120kv
  • Aerostar 150A
  • P42 Molicel 21700 8S3P no BMS
  • Slingshot G900 front wing
  • 140L SUP board

The goal was to be able to get up on foil without assistance in flat water. Unfortunately, even with this large board and wing, I’m staying just in the water. At max throttle, I can get it very close with a few pumps, but it feels like I need some more speed.

I’ve got the folding propeller printed out of PETG that was supplied here by @nekitesurfing and @s9tim .

Wondering if there might be a better 3D printable prop to get more top-end out of the roughly 3600 RPM I can get.

If all else fails, I’m considering rewiring the battery to 12S2P but don’t want to buy a new balance charger.

My setup is similar and I’m on 6S3P.
I’d say the biggest factor is your board that is holding you back. Not sure what model SS board you are using but 140 litre is a lot of surface area. Also get the foil as far forward in the tracks.

I just dropped from 29” wide to 24” on my Sup. The Difference is night and day in ease of efoil get up and go. I’m running an EML fold prop. I’ve tried a few DIY Props and superlefax’s FOLD is the best so far. I can stationary start with a GoFoil GL180 (1288cm2). I’m around 85kg wet.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I tried first on my wing board, a cabrinha macro 5’4” ~100L but wasn’t getting anywhere. The nose of the board was coming way out of the water. There was no way to get the board to level out under power. I had the mast mounted in towards the back of the track though. Not sure what I was thinking there lol

I’ll give the new prop a print and move the mast forward. Should be back tomorrow with an update

Thanks again!

Agree. My board is 21" , only 75 L and with 6S it starts effortlessy.

Regarding balancing, I did the same with my battery ( to see how fast i can go) . Just create two pairs of balancing wires.

I think I’m out of ideas. Went out today with the new prop printed from enzymlefax and the mast all the way forward and…still couldn’t get up.

Today I used a slingshot outwit 6’6” 120L about 28” wide. I’m 85kg

Unsure what other things to try. The only thing I can think of is that my front wing is 1263 cm2. Maybe too small to provide enough lift at these speeds?

It’s hard to imagine anything being able to get out of the water moving this slow though

Apologies for the video facing directly into the sun lol

That’s a small front wing for what you’re trying to do. My friend has one that size and he needs to be going at a really good pace to get enough lift.

1 Like

I have a Gong Curve MT, which is a 1150 cm2 wing. I weigh about 67kg. I need more speed than you had in the video to get up.

So weird. @Foil_A_Lot is able to make this work with a similar sized wing and running 6s, so like 1/4 less rpm?

This may be one of the greatest mysteries of all time

I could not get foiling on a sup, with 1900cm2 front wing on flat water and 6s.
You are not alone
10s works okay, but i found that it is way easier to take off if you manage to get the board planning relaly well and gather speed.

I split my batteries in 6s and 4s so incan use a small lipo balance charger

I’ll try and get some video of my setup in action on flat water in the next few weeks. I must add I always efoil with a paddle, most of the time I paddle and motor to start. The paddle helps with unweighting the board and getting some extra speed. My board is a 6’3 long downwind supfoil. Very efficient hull and lifts easy once moving.

I’d say next step for you could be try a larger front wing or try a base plate shim on the board to get more angle of attack from the foil.

1 Like

Great, that would be helpful thanks. Was just thinking maybe this motor is too low kv after all.

It does launch from under my feet if I’m not careful with the throttle from a standstill

Sure some people get up with a 6384 but the weight difference to a 63100 is not that huge, right? and those fly most things - is it worth it to push the envelope with a smaller motor? You know, one cup of coffee less in the morning or going to the loo before foiling will probably save more weight :grinning:

1 Like

Sure, but a 63100 is 4 times the price.

1 Like