Foil Drive Assist, DIY

Do you have a link to the prop blades? I can’t get enough power from the Maytech 6374 to get flying…
Can the motor get you up like an efoil without any other assistance?

Yes, I take off without pumping. Send me your email in personal messages and I will send you stl. What ESC are you using?

Jezza, will you post some feedback of how the prop does for you?

Funnily enough its the exact same prop I am already using. I downloaded it from Thingiverse and then modified the base. RTTN is 15 Kg lighter than me and using a higher volume board, but what I found in a static environment is that I just can’t get enough gas to really get going. I max out at 10kph.

ARC200, APD 120 F3x, VESC 70A are the 3 I have tried so far.

Have you got any speed data for the motor?

I don’t know how accurate it can be, but if the surface of the board and wing is too smooth, it can be a problem to reach speed. I had a situation where I felt that the board was stuck to the water. Then I sanded the surface with 320 grit sandpaper and then the board came out of the water more easily…

1 Like

If you want, I can measure the thrust I get from this motor. I think it will be more useful information.

Thrust and rpm info if you can?

Not at all. You have the same worries when the batteries are above the surface but hit the water every time you fall.
I am just thinking how can we improve this design. Event the foil drive looks DIYish, meaning it has a room for improvement.
Stoke is way too expensive for what it is, but from the design aspect, it looks well thought out.
I think we can 3D print a watertight case with a rubber gasket for the batteries to solve that problem.

I think that you greatly overestimate the capabilities of 3d printers.

1 Like

Rumour has it there’s a new design foildrive on the way… Not sure when it’s going to be released though.

1 Like

I’ve been meaning to share this idea for ages…I started doing this design 18 months ago before the Boogie bug hit (Boogie for me is so much more fun as x practical than an assit) . If I was FoilDrive this is how I would do a V3 system.

• Weight in the best possible place
  • Nothing on top of the board
  • Short runs from motor/VESC/Battery
  • On non carbon boards probably no need for a top side antenna.
  • Great battery cooling, vesc cooling.
  • Universal mounting via plate mount.
  • Gives approx 25mm increase in mast height which could be useful with a prop on the mast and touch downs.
  • Silicone and baking spray could be used to make a diy tidy removable seal where the box meets the board.

Issues are;

• waterproofing
  • Swapping batteries easily, but a slot system from the back could work - 2170s fit between mast bolts.
  • Low capacity flight packs.
  • Antenna on a full carbon board probably need to come topside.

You heard it here first incase they try patent it!

1 Like

Haha i have 3D printed prototypes of cases like that too but have never gotten around to building them properly. Rumour has it they system does go under the board like that, except I think it’s double volume on the batteries.

1 Like

You’ve redesigned a light LACROIX VORTEX using a sk8 flex battery :wink:

2 Likes

Similar - their one is huge, and so much drag. Those Amphenol are good, but I don’t think that good!

I like the pressurised enclosure though, that’s smart.

My files were from Feb 2022, before the Vortex release, so all original thoughts.

Please never say anyone ever redesigned a lacroix vortex… Their idea was pretty much taken from pwrfoils old boards.

What have you heard about this potential new design?
Are they planning to reduce the box or find a better position?
Also isn’t there a way to get the prop all the way down the mast without the drag from the motor?

I know someone that has seen it.
Find a better position.
That would be near impossible. Smaller diameter motors won’t work and a gearbox would probably come in around the same size.

1 Like

I totally agree.

However, in 2023, I cannot refer to a brand that has used this system for +/- a year in 2020 (unveiled oct 2019). LACROIX has been using this system since 2022 and still is. The good news is that PWRFOIL is prior art so it is not patentable.
'E-foil PWRFoil the beginning of sales ;) - #26 by chris

Have anyone tried using the Waydoo subnato system? Waydoo Subnado, Family-Friendly Underwater Scooter for Diving and Snorkeling, pool sea scooter Adults and Kids, Compact and Lightweight – waydoous
One unit can get you to about 3.5 mph underwater speed. Not sure about the surface speed or two units on each side of the mast.
For the price, it could be cheaper than building your own. It is controlled by a wired finger trigger remote but I bet you can modify it to work wirelessly from a surface box to a Bluetooth remote.
Everything else on enclosed including the rechargeable battery which is by the way aircraft safe.

Forgot to mention that you can mount it on a sup with their optional bracket. So you can modify it and maybe even place it on a foil board behind a mast for a quick boost