Foil Drive Assist, DIY

Thank you :slight_smile: And can you kindly clarify, the three holes circled in yellow align to three of the four holes in any generic 6384?

I can confirm that they do align on both the generic buav 6484 motors you can get on eBay and AliExpress plus the genuine saite motors that foil drive use that you can purchase directly through alibaba (minimum order quantity of two though).

3 Likes

Install another plug to the right or left of the box. Just give enough room that it won’t hit the box when you bail.

1 Like

The new ones are 2 parts see screw on back

Yep line up with the cheap motors of ali express.

This prop us probably the single most expensive part of my build :joy:

What do you think?

The box is about 3cm high. Includes everything - battery, esc, receiver.
Maybe separated into two parts, the battery to be exchangeable.
This is a real model: Axis board FD 5’19", foil 1040

1 Like

I welded a new 12s3p battery using cheap Lichen elements. The previous 12s2p at 45b was not waterproofed well enough, as a result of which two safety valves in the cells worked. This time I filled the entire battery with silicone. Test session - 28 minutes drive, residual voltage 3.4 volts. There are plans to make the case more streamlined, shorten the power cable and make a connector similar to FD2.

7 Likes

Thanks for sharing.
Lever latch - which product is it? For the sealing there you molded a silicon o-ring?
Connectors of the battery - which are these, how they are held in place and which challenges did you through?

Hi, is the housing 3d printed, what material , any issues with cracking ? I was about to start working on mine in fusion but wasn’t sure if PETG would be able to withstand all the load.

I apologize for the long answer, I didn’t see the question. There are no cracks yet, but I think it’s only a matter of time. I will treat this product as a prototype and will not be too upset when this happens.

1 Like

You are talking about these ones? (I found them 6 days ago, when my friend asked to buy him foil assist waterproofed motor so have not time before to check info here)
Flipsky 6374 Motor 140KV 3600W
Flipsky 6384 Motor 140KV 4400W

No.

Flipsky are new motors sold by the well known DIY brand website. Just received it, amazing quality.

The other brand is Saite, almost the same motor as Foildrive in 6374 but you need to mail Chris to buy it directly to factory. You can take a 6384 if you want a bit more punch.

Flipsky is cheaper than Saite

6374/6384 waterproof:
'Flipsky Waterproof Brushless DC 6384 Motor 140KV 4400W for Surfing Boa – FLIPSKY

Ah… ok I thought you, you said that Saite motor is good but cheaper alternative is new Flipsky?
I already added Flipsky Waterproof Brushless DC 6374 Motor 140KV on Bangood for 138$, but I have never seen such motors and have no idea how to mount prop on that motors.

PS my fault, I already forgot how outrunners works and which parts rotating :slight_smile: so was so confused

And you said that new Flipsky is also good quality?

There are different ways to mount the prop, search the forum. Either you can print a prop with 4 screw holes or order one from popellerking.
It can be srewed directly to the bell. You can also build a shaft and then mount a „normal“ propeller designed for a shaft.

Ok, I will check it one more time, I already have picture in my head how props mounted on such motors.
My friend expecting to use this or any assist motor on vacation, so he will not be able to make any additional modifications during the trip - he/we need a motor like “take and go”, so just screw prop in some way and fly.

This looks like the best kit i have seen. Total cost? Links to items? Tutorial installation video? No one can a complete kit for $1k and seems like it’s because the motors are too big and no complete tutorial videos and links to compatible accessories needed.

I’m still anticipating data with 10s and 12s and their difference in efficiency, with the logs to prove that the info in my earlier post was “completely incorrect”.

I doubt it, so would like to tie the loose end.:handshake:

Haha, we’ll get there one day. Been testing all sorts of other configs recently. Going back to 10s would feel like torture :rofl:

Hi fellas,

I’ve been reading a lot and I appreciate all the info everyone takes the time to put on here. What a great community. So I’ve come to conclusion that I’m going to try and build a foil assist with a dedicated Armstrong mast. I have been wing foiling for a year now still not gybing fully yet. Hopefully this summer work doesn’t get in the way and I get out on water more.
I’ve build 1 foil board and almost finished my down wind board. 1st one was 6’11”x22”x6” which was a success great for light wind.
Down wind board is 8’x 20”x 6.5”.
So I will cut a compartment into maybe both boards and water proof them with a round inspection hatch.
I have already ordered motor combo from maytech,
I got the 6579 motor combo with 160amp water proof esc.Ali folding props. I’m 95kg. I’m thinking of going with the 21700 lion 5000 batteries. My question is will 10s3p be enough to get me onto foil or should I go 12s.
Also I was thinking of adding a water cooled pump system is that nessesary?

If this works for me we will be going down the road of building a mid mount self dedicated prone foil board with no remote system. Either a button on board or moisture censored switch system.
IMG_4758

IMG_4789
IMG_4788

3 Likes

For a 3P battery configuration, you need high current cells, something like Molicel P42A. Depending on the board and foil size you need 50 to 100A battery current for takeoff @10S. If you look at the discharge graphs you figure out that the higher capacity cells (like 5000mAh) only have that high capacity at lower discharge currents, therefore they make more sense at a higher P count (for eFoils).

1 Like