Foil Drive Assist, DIY

Oh I see molicel would be better suited due to the higher discharge rating. Gotcha. Is there any higher capacity than 4200, I can’t seem to find any higher with good ratings

Molicel P45B - 4500mah 45amp discharge

1 Like

Has anyone tried maxamps batteries I used to buy them for rc car racing. They are pricey but great.

Not really worth, I have 2 packs, one from P42A and one from P45B, both 14S11P. The P42A delivers 2050 Wh, the P45B 2200Wh usable capacity.

1 Like

That battery looks like it should work, they don’t state exactly what cells are in there but the max current they give indicates a high power cell. It’s kind of pricey, but probably typical for pre-made packs like this.
Keep in mind you would need a balance charger that can handle 12S, those are expensive and there aren’t as many out there.

1 Like

Or you add the bms option for 30usd, that’s a no brainer

1 Like

I think I’ll just make my own packs then with bMS

After some searching found a battery with similar spec as foil drive max. IIt’s a lipo not liion but I’m quite happy charging these. What do you all think of this pack fellas? Why aren’t more guys running lipo packs they have more power. We used them in our model planes and the biggest worry was puncturing packs in crashes or bad landings but in this hobby that isn’t an issue?

It more comes down to safety and lipo swelling. In an enclosure like Foil Drive battery swelling won’t go down well.
On a DIY setup, lipos can be used if desired.

Thats a lot more expensive than the batteries I build though.

Energy density is poor on lipo, for foil drives power density is more important which in theory would give lipo an advantage - but i guess a molicel p45 pack still has enough power and more energy. Easy to calculate where the balance is for the ride time you want.

Here two posts on the subject of “lipo” answering my same question:

'Foil Drive Assist, DIY - #1461 by rttn

'Foil Drive Assist, DIY - #1462 by Larsb

Thanks fellas totally forgot about the swelling issues they have. And I just worked out conversion rate and I can get 2 packs of 21700 4200 for price of 1 LiPo. But power for weight is much better.

My mate just showed me these cells has anyone tried them?
Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! AU$83.23 | Big-capacity 3.2V 20AH Lifepo4 High Drain Lithium Rechargeable Battery Cell DIY Battery Pack
https://a.aliexpress.com/_msXkhRq

Those appear to be LIPO4 cells, which is a different chemistry from Lithium ion (note the lower 3.2V nominal instead of 3.6V nominal). They have lots of current but have poorer energy density. You’ll end up with a much heavier pack which is not great for an assist build. Note the size too, they are 135mmx40mm, they are big cells.

It’s not a good idea to get unknown cells from unknown sellers, fake cells are very common.

Where does it even say they are high current cells? No spec sheet so no guarantee which current they can deliver. C40 is the model name, it doesn’t say they are capable of 40c (800A!)

Lifepo4 have advantages, long life and they are safer but they are less energy dense.

In short, don’t buy.

2 Likes

I think there is no need to be so troublesome. Making a product requires a lot of time and cost. We should spend more time enjoying the fun brought by the product. If you don’t have time to make this product. We’ll provide it. I have been here for a long time and have learned a lot. Thank you everyone for sharing! We are willing to provide 10 foil assist units at a 40% discount to everyone to help promote it. We have tested the product and found that the thrust is greater than 30 kilograms and the battery life is greater than 3 hours. Welcome to provide good suggestions to make our products better. Coupon code YM565ZM5 www.yefoil.com. Only 10 units have this offer. After 10 units are sold, there will always be a 10% discount.

Looks like a good 5 cynic years of stealing ideas of creative hobbyists without a single contribution back, according to your profile.

2 Likes

Hello, Did you manage to rake appart the maytech 6374 by juste pulling thé outside part . Mine stay stuck After 1cm?

Now is the time to give back

Nice foil assist but I’m not here to buy a unit my goal is to build an assist integrated into my boards and into my Armstrong mast. Sorry fellas for asking about different options for batteries but I’m no electronic expert but I’ve built e-bikes and model gliders that have flown to 400mph. My mate makes packs with these giant cells on his winches for thermal gliders. And says they run the winches all day. It’s great that everyone here is willing to help and I take the advice on.
Cheers
I’ll stick to the 21700 cells👍🏽

2 Likes