iLogger - Micro SD, GPS, WIFI, CAN, Tool App

If a passthrough was too difficult, the basic settings would be motor current, motor direction, battery current, voltage/temp cutoffs.

Then maybe throttle settings, current or duty cycle modes.

I ordered one off your loggers, looking forward to trying it out!

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions, I’m going to add that to my Todo list for next update hopefully, I’m currently rewriting the logging part, optimizing how logs are stored and organizing folders by chronological order. I’m also improving multi-vesc support over CAN.

Hi @WavRX!

Been using your logger once so far, but haven’t got the GPS hooked up yet.

https://api.wavrx.com/e8

Low priority requests: Any way to embedded them like the metr log? Anyway to see all the logs I’ve uploaded in the past or with the Infinity tool (while not connected)

Passthrough would be the highest on my list, I’d love to be able to mess with turning HFI or other params without taking it all appear to get access to the USB. I’ll toss a BLE directly on there, but the TX/RX is taken by the maytech remote RX

Working on getting the GPS hooked up tonight. Going to try and run the antenna outside my CF hatch area.

Hi @brycej

Thanks for your suggestions!

Uploaded logs are already embeddable, it depends on the forums if they have embedding enabled. On esk8 forums they have that enabled so once you paste URL it gets automatically embedded.

Yes, create an account on https://api.wavrx.com/dashboard/ if you haven’t already and add your device. Once you do that, it will automatically fetches all your uploaded logs in the past.

I have been working on a major update for the past month where I re-written most of the firmware improving it even more, different components of the firmware (SD card, BLE, WIFI, CAN, UART, GPS,…) are all improved and better connected by proper event queues, improved tasks and better overall memory management.

Update should be rolled out in about a week.

Passthrough is on my list of to-do features and will definitely be added after the firmware upgrade is released.

1 Like

Thanks for the update. The dashboard didn’t work for me at first, I had to click through a esk8 forum link and then I figured it out. Now it appears to be working great.

I ended up testing with GPS on the bench it looked like it worked well, so I’m in process of installing it on my board.

Would you be able to add a Wh/mi (or km) to api.wavrx? That is key piece I was looking for to figure out how efficient different foils were at different speeds.

It appears that the log date doesn’t get set if the recording is started before the GPS gets lock. I believe I can get around that with the min move distance. Also it appears sometimes with the infinity tool it takes a few times to set to get it to take. I was trying to set the move timeout to 5-10 minutes and it didn’t seem to take that, other values got put in there instead (44 I think?), Some values like 120s seem to take but sometimes took a few tries. I’ll see if I can check that out when I get my efoil back together.

Is the speed set by the motor rpm and the wheel size? Could we get gps speed as well?

The imperial/metric toggle doesn’t appear to work right now on api.wavrx, although I thought it had in the past.

Do BLE or OTA updates work now (or in the future)? Currently I need to pull apart my ESC box to get access to the iLogger, so that would be handy as well!

Thanks again!

Tested yesterday my efoil with iLogger and GPS module bought from @WavRX. Seems like GPS does not work? And how to change date on the log. It was dated 1980 on my phone. Here it is 1970.

https://api.wavrx.com/eI

Looks like your good isn’t getting reception?

Do you see this with the tool?

And lat long when it connects?

Hmm maybe I noticed something simliar. Seems to get good gps on some and no gps on others

GPS:
https://api.wavrx.com/eL

No GPS:
https://api.wavrx.com/eR

You are right. It might be bad reception. My receiver is under hutch on side of battery. It probably shadows it. Need to move GPS module closer to the nose of board.

I put one of these antennas toward the nose and had the actually gps in my ESC box. And put fiberglass over the top which will not block the signal like carbon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R7RC96G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Good idea. Active antenna. I will order one. Thanks.

Might need one of these ufl to SMA connectors (not SMA-RP) as well depending on your gps

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ufl+to+sma+rg-178&i=electronics&ref=nb_sb_noss

Also a little annoying there is tons and tons of extra GPS antenna cable, but I couldn’t find something shorter that wasn’t really really short

2 Likes

Has anybody had problems connecting to the WIFI?

Mine has been going OK, although I usually hotspot from my phone and don’t try and connect to my house wifi. Mine is buried in an aluminum box under the board with the ESC.

App has been a little flakey for me on the pixel 4a 5g (Android 11), takes multiple times for the settings to update, but luckily don’t have to do that much.

Thanks, iLogger support made the same point to use a mobile hotspot. I was able to get a good logged session in. My session was 21km in total but the iLogger stopped logging when I stopped moving and then resumed after I started again… :man_shrugging:t4: :call_me_hand:t4:

http://api.wavrx.com/fq

I added that to the upgraded new online viewer which will work with the new upgraded firmware. It took some time to have all the software upgraded but it is coming along nicely.

On the new update, once powered up it will wait for a few seconds to try to synchronize time through either Wifi or GPS, then starts logging. App has also been updated, which should make changes smoother.

Yes, currently speed is calculated from motor RPM and wheel size, GPS speed sounds a like good addition, I’m going to add that to my TODO list.

I fixed that on the new online viewer, will post an update soon.

Yes OTA should work fine, it uses Wifi on the iLogger.

1 Like

@wushbush Awesome! Glad you got it sorted it out. On the new update I added the ability to have logging set to either “always logging” or “Log manually”. If always logging is enabled, it will continue to log indefinitely or until you hit the stop logging button added to the app.

It does also shows on the app how long the logging session has been running for in real time and the ability to manually stop and enable it.

I made a lot of improvements and the full list of upgrades is coming up soon.

2 Likes

Hey @WavRX ,
Looking forward to trying the new FW!

Another thing that would be nice to change is that it looks like it breaks longer logs into separate files that are all uploaded and displayed separately, Was that part going to be change? I have it set so the log on move is off so it logs as soon as I plug in. Many of my efoil sessions are longer then hour.

Also if you sync the time, there could be a couple minutes before the time is correct using the above method as it gets GPS lock, you could have a option to only start logging after GPS lock or another is to back calculate the start time based on when you get a lock (on the online viewer).

@brycej New upgrade now allows uncapped logging without any splitting. I also added an option to start logging only after time has been synchronized by GPS lock or automatically when connected to Wifi.

Here is the long upgrade announcement :slightly_smiling_face:

After over a year since I first announced this project, I learned and made countless improvements on the firmware, app and online system.

This upgrade marks the first transition from the old source code into the newly, highly optimized and stable re-write. iTool app design is still mostly the same, with improvements and additions, but the core firmware of the module has been upgraded.

There are many reasons why this full re-write was necessary, and the most important one was to have a solid foundation to easily build upon. Some of the major changes are how logs are stored, folders hierarchy, proper simultaneous multi-vesc logging, new SD Card filesystem management system and full floating point precision on all logged data where applicable.

Things like Wifi, BLE, SD Card, CAN, UART, GPS and Vesc commands processing functionalities are now coded into modular, separate components that work and communicate between each other nicely using event queues, critical regions locking, semaphores and optimized tasks.

This makes it very easy to build new features and expand on it when necessary.

The work done on this new source code is not only beneficial for iLogger, but it is also going to be used as a solid foundation for all the other projects I’m currently working on, as they share many similar software components.

SD Card filesystem overhaul includes DMA speedup, improved buffering and timestamp handling, new byte encoding format that allows multi vesc logging and reduces storage space.

Setup guide page has been updated and has more details about most of the functionalities, check it out and let me know if you have any feedback Setup - WavRX

Important notes:

1. This upgrade requires manual flashing - all saved settings will be reset, unpair/forget previously paired iLogger and pair again.

2. Old log files format is absolute, back it up if its important. Online dashboard has also been updated to read and display the new records format.

Upgrading using SD Card:

1. Download and place update.bin firmware at the root of an SD Card.

2. Insert SD Card while iLogger is powered Off.

3. Hold reset button and turn ON ilogger.

4. Keep holding for 3 seconds then release reset button.

5. Blue LED will start flashing rapidly indicating firmware is being updated.

6. Do not interrupt, iLogger will automatically reboot after the update is done.

7. Get the new updated Android and iOS app. ( Android app is live, iOS under review, ready in a few hours)

8. Enjoy and post feedback if you encountered any issues.

9. Android download link (Already live): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wavrx.iTool

10. iOS TestFlight link (Under review, available in a few hours): TestFlight - Apple

iLogger Fw ver. 1.0.1 Most notable ChangeLog:

• New” Logging format is now byte encoded, Allowing full precision and reducing storage space. Can also store multiple vescs data + GPS into a single record.

• New” Folders hierarchy based on Year/Month/Day/Timestamps_.lg

• New” Life time stats - Saved on SD Card under LT.Dat - Records total odometer distance and overall run time.

• New” Multiple Export functions added : Formats are:

• New” Automatic MTU negotiation and dynamic streaming rate of live data / records streaming to use the maximum supported rate over BLE.

• New” Log All ESCs: <On – Off> Logs all detected Vescs simultaneously or only the master unit. When using CAN, iLogger attempts to detect and Log all Vescs on CAN network. When using UART, both master and slave Vescs are logged.

• New” Log after time sync only: <On – Off> When toggled on, starts logging only after time has been synchronized automatically through Wifi or GPS lock.

• New” Logging Type: <Log Manually – Log on Power ON – Log After Elapsed Time>: Three possible logging modes can be selected.

• Log manually: Doesn’t start logging unless the “Start Logging” button is tapped, and doesn’t stop logging until “Stop Logging” button is tapped.
    • Log After Elapsed Time: Starts logging automatically on Power ON after a specified delay in Seconds.
    • Log on Power ON: Starts logging automatically on Power ON without delay.
  • New” Log Start Delay (s): When Log after delay is selected, logging automatically starts after specified delay in seconds.

• New” UART Slave Vesc ID: When UART is used, specify slave vesc ID to allow dual VESC logging.

• New” Updated charts on the app fixing many performance issues.

• New” Logging status on the real time tab. Shows the current logging status.

• New” “Start Logging/Stop logging” button on the SD Card tab with elapsed time since logging started.

• New” Record viewing screen, shoes summary of all logged data (Multiple vescs and GPS data if available)

• New” Expanded viewing screen, shows a more detailed view of each vesc data.

• New” Power logs and calculation, shows total consumed power, max watts, regen, efficiency Wh/Mi etc…

• New” Longer logging sessions are now possible, without limit.

• New” Firmware version check when connecting to a device, making it easy to be notified when a new update is available

• New” switching back and forth between vescs on live data views (on Both CAN and UART)

• New” Timestamped faults

Online system was also updated to be compatible with the new records format

Re-designed to focus more on important data, added energy and efficiency calculations, general stats like runtime, distance etc…as well as toggle between Imperial and Metric

You can now switch between all logged vescs from the online viewer.

(View example at WavRX API: Dashboard)

6 Likes

Hi,

I recently bought the iLogger and installed it. Very smooth and works great with GPS and BLE inside my aluminium box! But one thing I wonder, is there any way I can import the log into the VESC tool?

1 Like