Jenz's Tow Boogie build from Sweden

How long did it take to get them shipped to Sweden? Considering buying Amphenol Industrial Surlock Plus instead since both Elfa, Mouser, Farnell and Digi-Key have them in store and can ship from EU storer within days.

I don’t remember exactly but it was surprisingly fast. Maybe a week or two.

I’ve got a little more throttle happy lately and the vesc started getting hot so I added a tiny fan. So far it’s been working great. Clocked 12 hours on the water since the beginning of may. Immensely better than the light wind wing I had last year.

Great that its working well for you. What do you think about the boogie experiance?

I bought also this GO300 VESC for my new build.

In my other builds I am using an Trampa 76/300 and passive cooling.

So my question, because I read that the GO 300 was very hot is, do you think that passive cooling, per example in an alucase is possible?

The tow boogie experience is better than expected. It’s great that you can use the same gear as you do when wing foiling and don’t have to wait for windy days. My foiling skills have progressed hugely in just three weeks since I’ve been able to go foiling so much. Not sure how it will translate to wing foiling but I don’t think it will hurt. It’s also surprisingly fun doing carving turns after the boogie. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I think it would be fine if you mount it with some thermal paste. Mine reached 75 degrees celcius after an hour of running at around 1200 W. This is inside a pelicase with no cooling at all and before I added the fan. I guess if you use a lot more power you might need some active cooling.

To transfer the pull, ever thought about using a kite harness, preferably a seat type, to free you upper body part ??
In case of a fall the remote that can cut the pull quickly but in case of contact with a boat, for extra safety, you could also use a Wichard instant release.

All the steps here :open_mouth: A release system for Wichard snap
Seabreeze forum page: Replacing Chicken Loop with Wichard QR | Kitesurfing Forums, page 1
Since a soft loop means friction, the kitesurfers have experienced that the rope loop needs to be connected to a rigid ring preferably SS before connecting to the harness SS shakle.

I thought about the idea while building the tow boogie but after quite a few sessions I don’t see the need. Also think it will yank you around and make you loose your balance.

1 Like

Printed some proper fins and it made the boogie a bit more efficient and easier to steer, but mostly it made it look a lot nicer. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi Jenz, a realy nice project.
Do you know the complete weight of your tow boogie?

Best regards.

1 Like

The board is in my car right now but the peli case with batteries, receiver and vesc weighs 11 kilos.

Racked up 52 sessions on my tow boogie with no issues so far. I’ve changed out the QS8 anti spark connector for a more convenient switch but that’s the only thing. Really great to be able to go foiling without having to wait for windy days. Huge thanks to @Valhalla, @Jatem and all other people that spearheaded this stuff!

5 Likes

Looks great, now you just need a smaller board!

1 Like

Nice ! Do you know how many amps you draw before and after taking off ? Even if your G300 ESC is a beast, such a (big) board certainly helps maintaining the temperature low…

Once up I use between 1000-1600 watts depending on how fast I go and which foil I’m on. Getting up I’m not so sure. I guess 2000-3000 watts. The big board actually does not help that much. I tried a friends 55 litre board and it needed about the same amount of throttle as my 75 litre board. Guess the foil and your pumping technique is just as important as the board size. I’ll take a look on my next session and give you a definite number.

Really nice! Thanks for the link to the connectors. Upgraded my build with the same and very satisfied. Though I am struggling with loosing connection to my remote so I am curious about which remote you use and if you have experienced any problems with a stable radio link?

I’ve had similar problems too. Just mount the receiver on the top cover, away from the phase wires.

Aah that I did not think of that. I suspected interference and mounted the WavRX logger on the outside of the electronics box since it has both Bluetooth and WiFi but of course the crazy frequencies on the motor wires will interefer a lot too!

I guess both the actual receiver circuitboard and the antenna should be away from those cables?

Any experience how far?

Or any simple means to measure without taking the board to the lake?

I’m using the Felix Remote and I’ts been great so far. In my build the antenna is in left side of the receiver box close to the main fuse. Besides keeping it away from cables and stuff it should also be at a 90 degree angle towards you.

1 Like