Light Assist Season 2

Tested the 6384 Aliexpress today instead of maytech 6374, the difference is significant as we discussed before. Managed 5 starts on less than 50% of the battery. With bumps energy, start will be very easy energy wise. I have yet to try my art pro 1201.

Both setups would benefit from a smaller, or smaller pitch prop, as they are maxing out on phase amps waaaay before the battery current limit is reached.

Signal slightly better, but not super significant change, I will try more foam in the rail.

2 Likes

Super interesting ! thanks for sharing Adam :wink:

1 Like

Weight ref for archive

Takoon 4.2’ 2750 gr :exploding_head:
Maytech 6374 POD 1050gr
Ali 6384 POD 1230gr
Controller casting 780gr
Battery casting 1550gr

Total assist weight 3620 gr with 6384
Previous version with double the battery capacity was 4280gr + board mount. So in total saved 800gr approx for 240wh less. (260 now vs 504 then)

With board 6370gr = the weight of a good DW board (gong cruzader close to 8kg for exemple)

3 Likes

I must have missed this comparison. Can you say a few words about the differences between 6374 and 6384? Or a link to the discussion, please.

I think it’s jezza that couldn’t lift with the maytech motor, stator is narrower than the normal 6374, and hence the motor is not really a 6374. There are measurement in the foil drive thread.

Maytech strikes (out) again

Maytech is of course a company with terrible customer service, but to be fair - I have had no problems getting this 6374 up and running on an 8s battery and ART 999 and have had no sync failures.

Yes the motor build itself is fine, but the stator is very small (6374) At the same settings, and prop, it produces much less trust than a 65€ 6384. With the right prop it should be ok, I am now printing some props from here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6631833

Middle one

Left IS the ones I use on the three blade and left IS the ones I used on the maytech and Always overloaded it as a bi-blade.

Yes, I couldn’t get it past 9kph on 8s and 10s. The stator is shorter than other 6374 motors.
I have managed to get up on it on 12S now, but past 70% throttle is goes out of synch. I found this on VESC and the ARC200 both in and out of the water.

Can you upload the 3 blade prop model?

I had no sync issues with the maytech when I went with VESC and three blade prop.
I had issues with a thick two blade, and mayteck VESC.
@lishine The blade is not from me, I am not sure of the orignal designer, but I can upload the hub for maytech and 6384 if interesting for you.

It’s ok, I have loads of 2 and 3 blade prop options. I have synch issues above 70% out of the water too.

Please upload your redesigned hub.
But which blades do you use? I need please the stl of the blade as well…

Maytech version

6384 version

Pod for maytech, with reinforcement of the liaison to the fairing for cables.
Also works for 6384 but less fairing than stock version around the motor base.

Using the TPU mast guide already linked higher in this thread.

Version with renforcement that works for 6384 :

link :

The prop is great for 6 to 8S and 6384 but way to high pitch above that, it overloads the motor and draw too much phase amps.

1 Like

Thanks.
So you say it is not good for 12s 120kv/140kv?

1 Like

IMO too high pitch, 6000+ rpm unleaded and 2500 rpm max in the water (<2000 rpm when starting from zero speed)
It is putting a lot of strain on the motor and not efficient way of making trust IMO.
I think you should aim for loaded RPM ~70% of unloaded to get a better efficiency.

Side note, anybobdy has informations about remotes that can direct conncet to the vesc BT?

If this is the blade that I sent, promising to clean it, but which I never cleaned, then its author is Volker. I think you can contact him and ask for step.

now making my own low pitch smaller dia based on B series :

60% pitch 150mm dia and small blades 0.3 surface coefficient

2 Likes

I made a whole bunch of propellers last winter and didn’t even test them. I took one out of the box, try it tomorrow

Using the generator online?
Do you check unloaded/loaded rpm?
I have seen a few burned / overheated setups with flycolor esc, that do not have phase current limitations.
Most people setups are probably overloaded on phase amps. Not an issue for good riders, but a huge strain on the system when begginers try to get on foil.

I think 60% pitch will make an inefficient propeller. The open water data i’ve seen puts max efficiency around p/d=1.

I’m no prop expert but why not try a smaller diameter, lower pitch but higher area ratio prop blade?