MACs 3rd and probably not the last build

hey Mac, is this guard different than what I shared for flip sky motor? does it fit without any modifications?

The black duct is the one you gave me. The red one fits the new FR prop.

1 Like

The hardware arrived today to bolt the duct to the motor, so tomorrow I find out if it fits correctly.

@MAC Are these M4 SS screws ? Which length is needed ?

This is what I bought. They work perfect, but they look on the short side. Next size up is way too long. Mcmaster carr.

1 Like

IMG_20200509_080340468

2 Likes

My 100% infill printed mast clamp fwd end developed a crack, So I printed a hollow one, filled it with epoxy and carbon fiber strands. It seems much stronger than the original one.
Unfortunately I am now worried that the other end of the mast clamp will fail.
That one is much more difficult to replace.

1 Like

I had the same problem with SLA printed part. That seems like a good approach.
I recently purchased 2 Flying Rodeo props , interested in that prop guard if it fits without modification in to flipsky motor

I designed a different mastclamp, which is much easier to install. Basic idea came from Enzymlefax, I just blew it up a little. The cover is just held by a clips meachanism.

6 Likes

This is where I got it. Sorry The files did not come with it. Editing. …

michion

14d

All good. This one should fit either of the flipsky motors. Sounds like you have a mashup of both motors above. I didnt know about the one with the wider cone.

Plus I removed the space for the extra lip seal on the outside as the motor already has two, as I found out. Still has space for the 51101 thrust washer if you choose to use it.

drive.google.com

Flipsky65161Hub.stl

Google Drive file.

drive.google.com

Flipsky65161Duct.stl

Google Drive file.

3 Likes

I like the approach. I want to verify I follow what you are doing. Looks like my mast.

1. Are you only using the Aft channel in your mast( for wires), because I can’t see how you would have access to the fwd channel.
  2. Are you using threaded rod for the 4 long bolts that hold on to the motor?
  3. In clamp 1 photo it appears you have tunnels for 2 long bolts to hold the nose cone on, but I don’t see where they would attach. Its not clear to me what holds the long nose cone on.
  4. I would like to see more detail.
  5. In clamp 2 photo you can see the pair of upper bolts has the nut secured farther aft. Is that the side the wires go into the mast?

Can you make the model available. I would like to get a closer look at your ideas.

Looking forward to seeing the finalized product :+1: … and compatible with the Builders: how not to drill your alu or carbon mast! post: including the water inlet in the nose idea …

I decided I’m going to try to make a better gasket or my enclosure. My goal is to make a very soft silicone gasket that will seal with little pressure.

1. I set a piece of glass on top of my enclosure cover.
  2. Lay wax paper on top of the glass.
  3. Lay pennies to be used a spacers. The gasket will be as thick as a penny.
  4. Lay out a thick layer of silicone where I want the gasket.
  5. Lay a piece of wax paper on top of the silicone.
  6. Lay a piece of glass on top of the wax paper.
  7. Add weight to the glass to squeeze out the silicone.
  8. Wait about 2 days for the silicone to dry.

5 Likes

If that doesnt work, you could use Sikaflex, might be better than standard silicone I’d water issues and 0 now

I did some experiments with this silicone and some others, and RTV gasket maker. This silicone is softer than the others. The black color matches my deck mat color. So it will be invisible at the seams.
Today I removed the top piece of glass and the top wax paper. So far so good.

Michion also suggested using a mold making silicone. Which I may try if this does not work. IMG_20200601_193135425

1 Like

I trimmed the excess, The gasket seems nearly perfect. Very soft. The silicone I used is softer than other 100% house hold silicone. Next, glue it down, I will probably use a little silicone to glue it down. Add screw holes, pressure test.

IMG_20200603_193845905

4 Likes

Pressure test of the gasket worked good. I have a tube that allows me to blow air into the electrical enclosure. I put a bubble solution on the seams. I had to tighten a couple screws to stop the leaks. I am very happy with the results.

The beast only weighs 54 pounds. That is with the 14S12P 30Q battery. My last Efoil#2 weighed 69 pounds.

6 Likes

Tomorrow I am hoping to give it a water test. I do not think my mast clamp is strong enough, so I wrapped it in electric tape. Will redesign when I get some time.

2 Likes