Manufoil 2nd buil

Any value for the max motor current?

250A on waterstat when it failed without oil. Logged 112km without any issue with mineral oil and up to 300A motor during water start.

What happened? Are the fets burned? Theoretically, temperature throttle should prevent it from burning but it is still a chinese clone, max curren might have been too high. Maybe temp threshold should be lowered when max motor current is set above 200A.

Yep 2x FET are fried, board not damaged, a mate mihjt try to fix it. From the past weeks testing it is all good at high current as long it is well cooled and se mineral oil. It takes a while for the mineral oil temp to increase even at 200degC continuous

Took the new 75200 for a test run. This VESC work really well when cooled properly even at high motor current. This is with the new watercooled heatsink, water pump, and mineral oil filled enclosure. I also upgraded the thermal paste for a 1mm high conductivity 12.6W/m.k. Really happy with the temp.

3 Likes

Can confirm that, if you donā€™t push it too hard, you can even cool it passively. I use an aluminium heatsink laminated into the botttom of the board, the 75200 is clamped to that heatsink with a 0.5mm, 14W/mk heatpad in between. The heatpad is important, should be as thin as possible and hight W/mk. Max motor current is set to 150A, temp. never got anove 60 degrees.

1 Like

Wow, great stuff! please show some pics. You are also getting very descent efficiency so you must have optimized your rig alot.

Iā€™m jelous being on opposite side of earth right now moving towards winter with the sea being below 10*ā€¦

1 Like

Below 10degā€¦ would invest in a dry suit hahaha

The Lift/Flying rodeo motor is super efficient, this is using 950cm2 210cm2 mid/high aspect wings protoā€¦ I canā€™t really disclose much info on the wings atm unfortuatelyā€¦ Other sizes being designed based on the 950, it is going to be interesting to compare efficency.

I posted pic of the heatsink above before TIG welding. It could be easily modified so you just have to bolt it on the 75200 heatsink with a gasket to avoid having to weld it.

1 Like

How much difference does it make to temperatures if you add a bit of silicone oil to a passive vesc in an alu enclosure? My passively cooled maker x only hits thermal protection when Iā€™m towing a kid behind me.

I guess all depend what kind of motor current you draw. With my small board it makes a big difference with waterstart where it act as it act as a buffer.

Some quick videos, more to come

6 Likes

killing it bro!!! canā€™t wait to get mine. Iā€™m now hesitating for the ESC knowing Iā€™ll be using water-cooling. Trying to identify the one to get and then pull the trigger on a halloween or Black Friday offer.

6 Likes

Made an adaptor to fit the fliteboard prop on the Lift motor.

4 Likes

CNCed from 6061T6 on a router. Wonā€™t have the accuracy of a CNC lathe but should be all good for a test. If the performances are good I will get one made on a CNC lathe.

1 Like

hey tibo, which prop do you advise me?

I have the fliteboard on the 120kv on my first efoil it works really well.

thanks! itā€™s cheap !!! 35e

Iā€™ve seen some people going with the flying rodeo but thatā€™s 170e ex shipping cost

http://flyingrodeoefoil.com/propellers/

1 Like

Yep huge price difference, getting speed up to 41kmh with the fliteboard and 120kv. Pretty efficient too.

1 Like

This is very useful information about the Flite propeller, especially for inexperienced builders, which are the majority here. I think getting a Flite propeller as a v1 propeller is undoubtedly a good choice. At this price range (https://www.custommotorsfrance.com/product/propeller-complete/) it is probably the best commercial propeller in the world at the moment. Iā€™m going to measure and publish the efficiency of this propeller, then tweak the shape a bit, then measure the efficiency again. I hope to make this happen before Christmas.

2 Likes