My simple bolt-on build on Maui (VESC, 6384, 10s2p)

Update on eFoil build #2 (the one with the 65161 motor):
I wanted to get a board with an internal compartment for the battery and electronics. Since my board building skills are non existent, I splurged on an empty fiberglass board from Fliteboard (link).


That board has a non-standard mast mount, so I had to put in an adapter plate to be able to attach the Axis base plate.
I want to give a shoutout and huge thank you to @MBard who did a Fliteboard build before me and sent me the CAD file for the plate and gave me a lot of good tips on how to get it done!
I got the adapter plate cut out of 6061 Aluminum from sendcutsend.com. It’s 9.5mm thick and cost around $55 shipped. Then I had to drill the holes and tap some threads.


The VESC is directly attached to the aluminum plate for passive cooling through the mast. This works great so far, temperature has not gone past 32C yet.

I’m using a waterproof plastic box (link) to protect the VESC in case water ever gets into the board compartment (so far it has stayed dry). There’s a cutout at the bottom of the box for the VESC and it’s glued to the aluminum plate with 3M 5200 Fast Cure Marine Adhesive.


As a temporary battery solution I’m currently using my existing 10s2p batteries in a Pelican case. Eventually I want to get a proper long range battery.

10 Likes