Newcomer's build [Ger] + 2nd one

Did you put any kind of gasket between clamp and mast so that cooling water goes into mast or that isn’t necessary?

I have silicon around the clamp. The mast itself fills with water and acts as tube. You need to seal the mast cavity properly at bottom and top to avoid the loss of pressure

Gong has these rubber like inlets, I used the for bottom position. For top i printed like a little fixture with holes for the wire. Then I sealed it with silicone

1 Like

I forget, I have a small alumina tube in top, there I connect the tube

1 Like

No metr logging experiments, no wing or prop switch, no concerns about water intake or cooling; just fun

6 Likes

Who ever is interested, I have a couple of logs to share.
First: I did a run on my 100kv setup, 12S and Gong Curve MT wing. I did test the FR 6", modified flite 7" and a new prototype 7" (CNC alumina) from an EU based startup. I wanted to compare the props in one session to test the general “feeling” directly and to have similar weather and water conditions. The drawback is ofc the slight drop of voltage. Anyway, I did just a few minute rides, 25kmh, 30kmh and topspeed in both directions. For topspeed I did only compare the flite to the prototype due to the fact that they have some pitch.

FR 6"

Pros: running very smooth, punchy
Cons: limited speed on this setup

Flite 7"

Pros: good top speed, punchy
Cons: amp hungry, vibration

Prototype 7"

Pros: good speed, running smooth, punchy
Cons: wings are opposite direction and I forgot to invert the motor direction :slight_smile:

For the performance have a look in the metr. The flite is definitely more vibrating. I do not think it’s due to the modification, it has been done by a milling professional (not bybme :smile:)

3 Likes

And second the final show off, FR 7" (progressive Pitch) vs the new prototype 7". Same procedure, two times test run for both directions with 25, 30km/h and top speed. From feeling both behave equally; FR maybe even more balanced due to the fact that the prototype one is not balanced to keep the cost down in development phase.

FR 7"

Prototype 7"

(Forgot to switch off my log…topspeed is from car :slight_smile:)

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing, nice data. I’m flying a modified flite prop as well, what did you modifiy? I still need to compare an original flite prop to the one I use with rounded blade tips.

I just had the motor assembly modified to fit for 65xxx motor. Blade shape is same as original one

Do you see any advantage with the rounded blades? My feeling is that flite is optimises for ducted use, so I think you are on to something.
Great logs btw.

It’s a difficult topic; from some documentary I saw that the tips/wings reduce pressure fluctuations. But what do I know :smile:

Well the org flite is using torqeedo design and thats optimised for duct with less blade area close to duct. Good work, perhaps i will copy.

I’m not into fluiddynamics as well, just an experiment to reduce blade area on a high pitched prop. Will try to log both props this spring.

Where do you keep your phone while you ride?

Basically just inside the big compartment, between the batt packs.

I have plenty of space

1 Like

Here are two pics from the new 7" prop:

1 Like

Are you getting a good GPS signal? I would be afraid of no signal!

Well, I don’t have a alumina box or carbon cover. I never had any issue with gps.

Nice lookin propeller there, looks more traditional than flite, but probably not optimized for duct?

I don’t use a duct, so no idea how it behaves with such. What I can say, it works for sure great without.