okpTow - Jatem's style

man !
that’ a lot of work
you will give birth to the perfect tow boogey

thanks Alex, James.

It’s finally a good platform to prototype. I’m now moving the battery forward and added the 5mm airex sheet with a carbon fiber below and also on the sides. it’s overkill but I like the rigidity of the carbon fiber that helped to keep the glass fiber cells + epoxy mixture around the walls and have a cleaner finish to operate on.

I’ve also changed the battery box holders by digging new holes, same glass fiber cells + epoxy thick mixture.

Tomorrow I will be sanding all that stuff and putting a glass fiber tissu over the full area and then add some funky colors.

2 Likes

quick and dirty; I could have gone under vacuum but I don’t care of the extra weight and ultimately it’s not SO dirty !
I’ve added A CF sheet and GF sheet with the right amount of resin and a pretty large override of the existing sections. Why blue? because I had some powder left on my desk!

Next step is tomorrow : sanding and then adding some colors to it, padding and we’re almost good to go.

I will need to increase the length of my motor cables slightly but that should be very quick.

if everything works according to the (tight) plan… I can maiden the new baby this Saturday!

2 Likes

Not only a nice project but a way to not ride alone :wink:

2 Likes

ahah hell yeah brother. My girlfriend call it a dog as well. I believe moving the battery WAY more in the front and removing some of the bulk foam will help in reducing the speedboat effect (which was somehow nice as it was creating a wave below that I could try to surf !).

it’s a learning journey.

2 Likes

Really interesting how different designs work. On my tow boogie the propeller is mounted about a third of the length from the back of the boogie. This eliminates any tendencies for the boogie to flip over on its back and I can mount the battery in the center. In bigger waves it can still submarine so if you want to use it in waves you need to add something in the front.

Would be very interesting to see what the optimal hull shape, motor and battery pack mounting points would look like.

2 Likes

sweet build Jeff ! I would have loved to mount the motor like you did but didn’t have all the appropriate material to do so.

I will keep you posted. I’ve added a good amount of unnecessary weight with the chinook USBOX on top of the board (on the rear) which are now useless.

I also see you’ve added drifts below the board.

Real interesting with the motor so far forward. Almost like the motor is pulling the board rather than pushing - like a tug boat.

You can probably reduce the length of the tube coming out the back by quite a bit and will still give good steering.

It’s such a fun platform the experiment with, I’m on my 10th iteration now!

1 Like

update of the day. I made good progress.

I’ve added some padding too.

I also thought that a cable length modification would be needed… but it’s not !

I’m going to run a VESC sanity check, charge the battery, the remote and prepare for Saturday on the new maiden.

7 Likes

works like a charm !

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cs0Vuemqzxl/

5 Likes

5 Likes

The tow works fine ! I’m going to keep improving it.

As I need to had some weight to get a good balance (due to my foil mast & shape), I’ve 3D printed some shells that I will integrate in the board to keep the weights below the surface.

2 Likes

the tow works fine but I’m going to continue to fine tune it.

I’m going to add two USBOX on the bottom to move the motor even more forward.

Then I’ll get the good balance and will finalize this build.

What the idea with moving the motor further forward? What are you trying to solve?

1 Like

better balance between the motor/battery and it will likely remove the need to add too much weight.

1 Like

C’est à Sanguinet OKP ???

3 Likes

yes, sanguinet. Je préfère Bombannes mais là il me fallait passer à Mios donc c’était pas loin :wink:

1 Like

Have you tried to tow with a wing board or regular efoil ? With the motor down the mast it is probably difficult to maintain the noise down

here we go for the next set of modifications, starting with the USBOX setup.

1 Like

Will be interesting how it turns out on your board. On mine I had to add two small fins at the end of the board to stop it oscillating from left to right at higher speeds.