okpTow - Jatem's style

few updates :wink:

It’s going a strong revisit/improvement. I’m continuing my work to make it a platform to help me find the best balance setup.

still looking a bit dirty but it’s going to operate as a charm. I’ve also added some holders to attach a footpad that I will use as an arm holder.

stay tuned. next update will be a bit better and bringing things together.

1 Like

moving on and it’s almost a wrap. I have additional ideas (including a more polished surface smoothing) that I could implement but this will come in the next iteration. Let’s see how this new version operates on water.

Going to do a different visual and some crystal look with a red candy color.

5 Likes

progress :slight_smile:

8 Likes

the USBOX upgrade has proven to be useless. for some lucky reasons, I got the right balance since the beginning. I’m going now to add a bigger lever effect and reducing the boogie clamp size. I may also try a (5 to 10cm) deeper mast but not sure about the ultimate value.

still fine-tuning but overall it works as a charm. doing it for the glory of science !

1 Like

What happened when you moved the motor forward?

hey, bad balance. I changed the propeller for the FLITE one… more speed but less torque… so less weight to counter. glad I didn’t put the weight inside the board!

2 Likes

Looks great - How many Watts do you need to cruise at about 20kph?

Hi all, sorry for all the late replies. I’ve been optimizing it and I’m not happy with how it goes !

A video of yesterday. Drop a comment and enjoy !

https://www.instagram.com/p/CwCWf-tqkcB/

2 Likes

Interesting trolley, would you have a link for your trolley ?
Just discovered a 450 usd version from

2 Likes

My recently finished boogie is behaving similarly. One of my theories is the board I chose tapers back too much. I think this allows it roll too easily and I often capsize. The board is originally 54" and I have cut off 7" at the back where it pinches in. So its 47" now but its wider where the water exits, not sure if its gonna help, havent tested yet.

The other thing I have changed (not yet tested) is to turn the battery box so the long side is facing forward. I’m guessing this will help counter balance torque induced roll better.

This is the board I used for reference
https://www.zefrboards.com/

Looks like a bit of a rolly submarine that doesn’t like to turn, and that’s in glassy flat water. A wide tail and some buoyancy at the nose works well, especially in swell. If you add a wide flat tail to your board, ala boogie board, it’ll perform much better.

yes, spot on. I’m in love with the pintail shape although it’s has some drawbacks that you’ve pointed. This requires throttle management and understanding on how the board behaves but once you’re used to it, it’s super nice. I’m very comfortable with it as I’ve improved it and also learnt to counter the drawbacks almost naturally.

I may give a try to the boogie board… or just build myself a boogie board shape… in composites!

the wider the tail, the better the stability.

Back to the 2020 original which really worked well on flat water

Not working try 'Electric Tow Boogie

yes, kinda but maybe I’ll use my existing platform and add some foam cells to enlarge the tail up to 50cms, then composites to still keep the prototype moving forward… it’s so rock solid with carbon & composites and also pretty good looking! This will be pretty easy to do and I have everything to make it happen at home.

or… make a boogie board in CF… a little more expensive but bulletproof and will enable me to attach anything the way I want. With the standard boogie, I have no other choice to attach the cable to the mast and I need to find out a good way to have a solid mast/boogie fit/attachement.

I’m also putting some HV and revisiting my 14S eBike with a 20S pack and got my Progression 200 UNI foil heading my way, so it’s always a matter of balancing building/riding !

The efoilsolution one:

I’ve tried 3-4 trolleys so far, and this is the best for a tow boogie. It’s a little bit more expensive and requires some modifications to make the handle, but works really well in soft sand.

It keeps the boogie flat so loading the battery is easy, and the prop is far off the ground so less chance of hitting roots etc.

I can drag my boogie and board up steps with this trolley.

2 Likes

Dual 6384 motors and ESCs in a tow boogie is very interesting as it decreases torque and weighs less. Do you have a series of pictures or a thread on this build? Can you publish the details on the dual motor setup - what it looks and rides like, how to control two ESCs with one remote, battery connection to both ESCs or two separate batteries, overall weight distribution and positioning of tow boogie, how it handles waves/chop, etc.? Thanks.

eskates use dual ESC’s to power two front wheels… one remote only

1 Like

This might be an easy solution for someone.

It’s a cheap extendable aluminium ladder with a simple threaded bar as an axel and mountain board wheels.

I’ve since added a stopper so the board doesn’t slide and touch the wheels.

4 Likes