Redpinelabs board #2

Yeah doesn’t really matter with the carbon and epoxy, just regular plywood. Probably would have used baltic birch if I had any though.

1 Like

Road trip sessions! Mooreton pond, North Dakota not quite enough to kite but the efoiling was great!

Red river between ND and MN. Was worried about strainers and logs but the river was pretty clear of debris in the middle and made it 7.5 miles down river, (which is one of the few that flows. north to Canada) Video going under interstate 94

4 Likes

Nice that you are back in action Bryce! I see you have the space skate and the 84 and the short fuse. I like the space skate for sharp turns. For beginners when I was just kite foiling I found it easiest to learn or teach with the longer windsurfer fuselage, and the big stabilizer. For turning short fuse,small stab. Can you tell if you give up a lot of time/ range by going down to the space skate? Is your new battery on board?

Speed skate vs 84 wasn’t a huge range difference at least from my testing last year. I think you ended up riding a little faster which brings down your range. I gotta do some more back to back testing this year.

I don’t yet have my 14s battery yet. This as all been with my 12s.

Got to rip around today on a lake in MN today! Water was so clear i kept worrying about running aground.

1 Like

Moved my antenna up closer to the nose which seemed to help a lot of reception issues when the board is partially sunk. Also added a couple same tslots so i can hold the battery more securely!

Mast clamp got bumped around too much travelling in my car to North Dakota and Minnesota and cracked and got loose. I jury-rigged it up with washers and hose clamps and got it good enough to ride Lake Superior! Such nice cold clear water!

But now that I’m back home, I gotta replace it. Since the wires are run through the back clamp I needed to get it out. Using some hot air, I loosen it up and worked on cutting it out.

So I needed a replacement that didn’t need to feed wires through and saw a couple examples. One good one was @Toto44 mount:

Drew up a test one and even in a couple wall PLA it seems pretty darn solid, even more rigid then before.

I’ll need a nose cone as well for aerodynamics.

I’ll probably print the top piece in TPU and the bottom in ABS or PETG.

1 Like

More test fits

3 Likes

Finally got a completely full battery to empty battery run on my efoil! In an hour got 17miles (27km) with the 14sp10 p42a pack with 84cm slingshot infinity. Mostly crusing at 16-18mph. One crash and not much touch downs to cool the ESC box - I got it up to 62C going full speed for a little bit. As soon as the box touched water or I slowed down the temp dropped. It seems by default the VESC will limit at 80C and cut off at 100C so I was nowhere near that.

Using my estimated Wh of the battery pack is 1879Wh at 40A according to the battery calculator (with mooch data). 110W/mi (68W/km) Which seems in the ballpark to what other have gotten - I need a metr on mine :smiley:

2 Likes

Just used the new x16 charger to charge it up. Ended up putting 2005Wh back in, which is more then I expected. So that would put my efficiency at 116W/mi (72.1W/km)

Tried out the happy foil for the first time on 14s. That thing rips! I hit at least 24mph and was doing a lot of cruising at 20-22 mph. Definity more twitchy, but a fun different ride. Excited to see my speeds from my garmin watch, but managed to lose it in the last couple minutes of riding :frowning: Looking down at my watch and remote, I was drawing about 40A going 19mph at one point, which seems pretty darn efficient for that speed.

Almost managed to hit the thermal power cut when I was plowing water trying to get planing. With my short board you had to have your weight all the way to the nose of the board to get it planing before you could pop on foil. I tried powering through a “stall” and saw my fet temp go way up to 75C. 30 seconds sitting in the water though it cooled right down to <60C. When I was up and riding the FET temp didn’t seem to go above 60C.

Just ordered an infinity logger so hopefully I’ll have better data in the future!

2 Likes

Are you happy with the X16 charger. Seems only chinese sellers at the moment and first FW revision…

Yes, but I’ve only unbalance charged so far since I doesn’t come with cables to balance charge without making them. I’m getting PCB sent out soon to make an easy balance board.

I have a BMS I am designing so I was using a prototype to balance the battery every few charges (since I got to pull the battery out the box and replace the tape). I had do a few cut and jumps to make it work so I didn’t want to put that in my battery case yet until the next version. I charged at the full 1100W parallel charge (for 120V). I was going to make a 240V cable so I can 1800W parallel charge (~30-35A at 14s).

I did update the FW on it. There was a later version then what it shipped with, needed to use their windows app for that.

Also pyrodrone has it on sale for cheaper: https://pyrodrone.com/products/isdt-x16-1100w-20a-2-16s-ac-dc-dual-channel-ac-smart-charger

I like it a lot better then hauling around my icharger 406 and power supply so far…

I’ll do a full review when I get some more time on it (with balancing).

I got in some connectors that I crimped up to balance my 12s split into 2 6s packs. Leaving tomrrow for a trip. Balancing seems to work well. I had the current drop to like 15A after running awhile though, not sure if it is trying to do something smart based on measure IR or something. I’m going to try and contact IDST

compared to icharger 406 - which I only have a 12V supply now, so can’t do that much current.

Managed to hit 26.2 mph (42km/h) on my 14s pack and happy foil wing. Probably could still had room to go a tad faster, but didn’t want to crash!

Nice build!

I am in the process of building mine, but waiting on some parts.

Do you get out to Breezy Point much? I have a cabin on Pelican. It would be fun to go foiling some time.

I used to live in breezy point and crosslake, so I used to kiteboard at breezy point, the south end of the lake at the public beach, or the southeast corner at a friends house (before they moved). I’m really familiar with the lake! FYI don’t foil in the breezy point bay - completely full of weeds!

I now live in Colorado but I work for a company in the area, so I’ll usually get out there several times a year. I’ll be there in early January, but I don’t think there will be much efoiling then :smiley:

I’m sure I’ll be out this spring sometime and it would be fun to meet up!

One goal for the summer - I’d like to hit up crosslake and efoil to moonlight bay and the wharf for a dockside beer :beer:

1 Like

Haven’t seen anymore updates about this X16 Charger, are you still using it and can you recommend it?
Do you also charge your Li-Ion batteries to 4.2 volts with this charger even though they are normally only charged to 4.1 volts?

Yes I do recommend it,

All my li-ions are rated for 4.2V a cell so I charge them up to that. You can set it to less or more a cell if I remember right.

Been balance changing my 12S12P 18650 pack with it. My 14s10p 21700 pack with BMS ( so no balance charging). As well as other onewheel/scooter packs. Been a good charge everything charger that is pretty compact.

I also have it hooked up to 240Vac now for better efficiently and higher current. I have run it off my generator at 120V as well and it seems to work well.

1 Like

Got my longest ride yet. 18.4 miles in my 14s10p 21700 pack. Brought the pack down to about 3.4 a cell, so probably could have gone a little longer.

Been riding the Phantasm PTM 926 I got for winging. That foil is way more efficient on the water then anything else I’ve used. After recharging put about 2927Wh back in the battery, so I did about 160Wh/mi (100 Wh/km) overall efficiency. I wish I could get those numbers out of the @WavRX though!

Cut a slot into the board and moved the antenna up to the nose then re-epoxied it. That fixed my reception issues completely (it was easy to lose reception when just starting the board moving.

Redid the silicon seal and replace the hinges with the nice friction gemlux ones (GEMLUX Stainless Steel FH-9605-FM Friction Hinge 3&#034; X 1.5&#034; Flush Mount | eBay).

Got a phantasm adapter for my slingshot mast. Also messed with CNCing my own for my other mast

CNCed a phantasm bigfoot adapter on the liquid force fuselage. This should be a little more secure then my previous method.

2 Likes

Awesome stuff man :slightly_smiling_face:

Whats stopping from getting those numbers from iLogger? I can help you fix any issue you might be experiencing.