Redpinelabs board #2

With the 30Q 12s12p battery I was getting like 30-50 minutes runtime depending on wing.

Plugging in the data in the battery calculator:

P42a 14S8P Wh (marketing) 1613 Wh@40amp: 1484 (7.5kg)
30Q 12S12P Wh (marketing) 1555 Wh@40amp: 1310 (7kg pack)

Should give me a bit more time… assuming I’m not using the extra voltage to go faster :smiley:

Maybe it would be a good time to size a tiny bit. I do have enough batteries for 14s10p (I was going to do 14s2p on my diyonewheel).

That is just what will happen when you do current cycle control on the VESC no matter what pitch the prop. Maybe a higher pitch prop would give me a mph or two at the top end so I wouldn’t happen to hit it as often. Higher voltage would do the same thing.

If you set your throttle to control from 0-150A. You may draw 150A getting up on the foil, but there is (almost) no way to do that on foil. If you hold the throttle down all the way to ask for 50A the VESC duty cycle is at max already and can’t give you any more.

1 Like

Figured I might as well used all the batteries I had and bumped up the size to 14s10p and reprinted in PETG - was thinking the PLA could soften a bit a >50C which it may be able to hit on a hot summer day in my black board.

Now time to get welding!

Printed PETG holder: Fusion
Looks like fusion360 links might still work, I thought they were getting rid of that.

Here is the google drive link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jne43WtoVOdafNw2Jw6feCYebJnB-DlN/view?usp=sharing

Good to print a smaller one to make sure your sizes are exactly right for the battery you want.

Should be all parametric for different sizes except for pattern_s parameter which is can’t reference a driven param, so you have to manually put in 19.503 in this case

Got 25mm x .2mm nickel I’m going to use. Wish I had some 30mm but this will work I think. Cover the positive completely and as much as the negative as possible.

2 Likes

Is there a guide you used on making your own cnc machine? Or can you post one? :sun_with_face:

If I was starting from scratch to get a similar machine, it would have been much more cost effective (and quicker) to buy an avidcnc kit. https://www.avidcnc.com/

My first machine used some of the original cncrouterparts components (now avidcnc) and I have just slowly upgraded and change parts over the last 10+ years. My machine now is fairly similar to the avidcnc pro except I have ball screws for all axis and machined my own plates.

Warm weather and wind opened the lake partly nearby!

1 Like

Bryce,
Nice board. What did you use for the hatch? the aluminum heat sink block looks sharp. is you battery and connectors like Flight Junkie’s.
Thanks

I used 1/2 plywood with the lip cnced down a bit with a couple layers of carbon fiber. Then moldstar silicone for the gasket

My layout of the batteries is different but I am using the same idea with two 6s batteries and balance connector on the front, marine motor plugs. Then using a QS8 connector for the anti spark. I’d probably just go for the QS8 connectors instead of the marine plug in the future but both work well.

Thanks,
Looks sharp. Regular plywood or marine plywood. I guess it wouldn’t matter with 2 layers of carbon,

Yeah doesn’t really matter with the carbon and epoxy, just regular plywood. Probably would have used baltic birch if I had any though.

1 Like

Road trip sessions! Mooreton pond, North Dakota not quite enough to kite but the efoiling was great!

Red river between ND and MN. Was worried about strainers and logs but the river was pretty clear of debris in the middle and made it 7.5 miles down river, (which is one of the few that flows. north to Canada) Video going under interstate 94

4 Likes

Nice that you are back in action Bryce! I see you have the space skate and the 84 and the short fuse. I like the space skate for sharp turns. For beginners when I was just kite foiling I found it easiest to learn or teach with the longer windsurfer fuselage, and the big stabilizer. For turning short fuse,small stab. Can you tell if you give up a lot of time/ range by going down to the space skate? Is your new battery on board?

Speed skate vs 84 wasn’t a huge range difference at least from my testing last year. I think you ended up riding a little faster which brings down your range. I gotta do some more back to back testing this year.

I don’t yet have my 14s battery yet. This as all been with my 12s.

Got to rip around today on a lake in MN today! Water was so clear i kept worrying about running aground.

1 Like

Moved my antenna up closer to the nose which seemed to help a lot of reception issues when the board is partially sunk. Also added a couple same tslots so i can hold the battery more securely!

Mast clamp got bumped around too much travelling in my car to North Dakota and Minnesota and cracked and got loose. I jury-rigged it up with washers and hose clamps and got it good enough to ride Lake Superior! Such nice cold clear water!

But now that I’m back home, I gotta replace it. Since the wires are run through the back clamp I needed to get it out. Using some hot air, I loosen it up and worked on cutting it out.

So I needed a replacement that didn’t need to feed wires through and saw a couple examples. One good one was @Toto44 mount:

Drew up a test one and even in a couple wall PLA it seems pretty darn solid, even more rigid then before.

I’ll need a nose cone as well for aerodynamics.

I’ll probably print the top piece in TPU and the bottom in ABS or PETG.

1 Like

More test fits

3 Likes

Finally got a completely full battery to empty battery run on my efoil! In an hour got 17miles (27km) with the 14sp10 p42a pack with 84cm slingshot infinity. Mostly crusing at 16-18mph. One crash and not much touch downs to cool the ESC box - I got it up to 62C going full speed for a little bit. As soon as the box touched water or I slowed down the temp dropped. It seems by default the VESC will limit at 80C and cut off at 100C so I was nowhere near that.

Using my estimated Wh of the battery pack is 1879Wh at 40A according to the battery calculator (with mooch data). 110W/mi (68W/km) Which seems in the ballpark to what other have gotten - I need a metr on mine :smiley:

2 Likes

Just used the new x16 charger to charge it up. Ended up putting 2005Wh back in, which is more then I expected. So that would put my efficiency at 116W/mi (72.1W/km)

Tried out the happy foil for the first time on 14s. That thing rips! I hit at least 24mph and was doing a lot of cruising at 20-22 mph. Definity more twitchy, but a fun different ride. Excited to see my speeds from my garmin watch, but managed to lose it in the last couple minutes of riding :frowning: Looking down at my watch and remote, I was drawing about 40A going 19mph at one point, which seems pretty darn efficient for that speed.

Almost managed to hit the thermal power cut when I was plowing water trying to get planing. With my short board you had to have your weight all the way to the nose of the board to get it planing before you could pop on foil. I tried powering through a “stall” and saw my fet temp go way up to 75C. 30 seconds sitting in the water though it cooled right down to <60C. When I was up and riding the FET temp didn’t seem to go above 60C.

Just ordered an infinity logger so hopefully I’ll have better data in the future!

2 Likes

Are you happy with the X16 charger. Seems only chinese sellers at the moment and first FW revision…