[Surf n' Destroy] Building a flying sniper rifle case

64ulfn
Sorry i mean 27 Ah

Hello kotnascher, love the build. I’m copying your build as a shortcut to having a working efoil.

Would you wager a guess on the minimum power necessary to get the rifle case on foil?

I’ll eventually build a board, but that’ll take some time. My ultimate plan was to have a 14S14P battery, and I thought that battery could serve both purposes for the rifle case board and built board that would come later.

I have my doubts 14S would be enough power. …and 14P may add too much weight.

Any thoughts?

Thank you for showing your supplies list, their cost, and source. This will help me greatly with the things I can’t manufacture.

1 Like

Hey Brandon, thx for your praise.
In my opinion higher voltage is just a matter of top speed. With my new HA-Wing i need around 180Amp Motorcurrent to get my fat ass out of the water, regardless of whether i’m using 12 or 16s.
Your question about the P-Value depends on the Cells you want to use. I prefer two smaller batterys over one bigpack.

Cheers

2 Likes

Which HA wing did you get? Is that with the 65161?

A few photos from today’s tests11111112

5 Likes

It’s so fuckin’ great to see another working rifle case! Do you have any photos of the inner values?
cheers

There is not a lot of aesthetics inside, I used the simplest tools: a hand drill and a hand router. The bottom is reinforced with two 3mm carbon sheets, the top cover is 3mm aluminum sheet.

3 Likes

@kotnascher What tail did you use for this rifle case project? I will soon be a member of the rifle case cult with a California “Rock Lobster” interpretation of your reference design :call_me_hand:

I have all of the components including the VESC, Nuprol case, RL mast, 1150 cm front wing and nearly everything else for my build but wondering more metrics and info about your stig. Cheers!

Hello! Trying to figure out what battery I need for my build. Planning on doing the rifle case build. Not comfortable building my own battery, but the Makers of this build said it needs a bunch of power to get started (like 6000w of power). Wondering if I can use 3 of these batteries US $136.32 2% Off | 72V 12Ah 15Ah 20Ah 25Ah 30Ah 40Ah Battery Pack 3000W High Power 84V Electric Bike Motor Electric Scooter Ebike Battery With BMS
https://a.aliexpress.com/_msZoqQW Or is there someway I can have one built for my needs?

It’s really a crap shoot buying a battery pack from Aliexpress. I’ve taken several apart to try and fix them for people and about half of them weren’t even close to what was represented in the ad. One of them even had fake cells as filler and none of them were what I would call safe or would want in my house overnight. There are custom battery builders out there depending on where you are located. Where are you located at?

Ahhh ok i will stay away from Ali. I’m located in Kansas. Is there anyone that can do it for a reasonable price?

See here: [WIKI] Trusted Battery Builders (Serious) - Vendor Corner (SERIOUS) - esk8.news: DIY Electric Skateboard Forums

Kinda depends of what your definition of reasonable price is. Good battery cells are just expensive so just the cells for the battery I’m currently building are a bit over $700 usd with shipping and thats for a 14S10P 21700 pack of P42A cells. So with all the other bits you’ll need for the rest of the battery you’re looking at at least $800 usd just in parts. Expect to pay at least $1K for a bare pack without an enclosure or charger. That said it’s really not hard or tool expensive to make a pack as long as you follow basic safety rules. If that’s the route you’d like to go then I or a ton of others will be more than happy to help out.

1 Like

Hi, Could you please share stl files for your motor holder and propeller? Thanks a lot.

He shared them here already
Propeller is probably this one:

1 Like

Here some images from my build:

I really like the concept!
Riding it however is quite tricky for me as a beginner.

5 Likes

Looking narrow for a beginner. You have two wheels for easy transport though :wink:

Narrow is not really the problem for me, but the lack of a gliding phase due to the suboptimal hydrodynamics. So you need to stand up in trawling phase and immediately foil.

Have you tried adding a bevel on the front of the case ?