[Surf n' Destroy] Building a flying sniper rifle case

One of the main hurdles for me is that I do not feel confident enough to build my own battery, everything else I should be ok with.

So I’ve been looking at ready build batteries for e-bikes and similar. So me question to some of you more experienced builds is; are those batteries good enough? I don’t mean are they the best option, but are they good enough for a first build and to get up on the foil and have enough Ah to stay out on the water for 30 min or more?

I.e. would it an option to use two of these batteries in parallel so that it is 13s6p with 48V nominal and 120 Ah in total or is a complete bust going that way?

48V 60Ah

By the way, is there something I need to give special attention if I’m going to use the board in saltwater?

The problem with most ebike batteries is that max discharge current is too low. With around 100A continous you should be ok.

hard to read between line with this battery but,

operating amp: 13a
max discharge: 40a (fuse will probably blow before, 25-30a is usual used)

data :
48v 62Ah 1000w 13S3P
After the combined capacity: 60000mAh (60Ah)

so my guess : 13*3= 39 cells 60/39= 1.53A so 3p = 4.6A

so you end up with a real 48v/4.6A pack made with 3P 1.5A" high discharge" 18650 …

6-8 packs should work :wink:

not bad :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
https://www.google.com/search?q=cell+18650+dolidata&rlz=1C1CHBD_frFR861FR861&sxsrf=ALeKk009r8TMcEwO2VeOo19Az7y7umjeNQ:1619552709211&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=yhla8gYQIHy3hM%252C-8WQlX1tE6YEmM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kQgri36KvgWYVIC-t5omDwBkm6CwQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi_rbX_l5_wAhVKLBoKHdXACR0Q9QF6BAgLEAE&biw=1600&bih=789#imgrc=yhla8gYQIHy3hM

what I feared / expected

But what would then choose if you were not to build a battery? Two LiPo in parallel?

22.2V 7Ah 6s 30C

You could use 2x6S LiPos in series, or 2 in series 2 in parallel to get 12S. For example tattu, somthing like these: US $212.48 17% Off | TATTU 22000mAh 22.2V 6S LiPO Battery Burst 25C for Big Load Multirotor FPV Drone Hexacopter Octocopter
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOeVCot
I run my efoil with LiPos but I would build a pack from Samsung 30Q 18650 or Molicel INR21700 P42, better value and safer than LiPos.

1 Like

Dont know how well this work in reality, but at least this version is rated for 20A per cell, not that great but more than previous versions.

If you use this you will have cells in your hand. If you have the cells in your hand, spot-welder them. It’s not rocket science, even I could manage to do it.

3 Likes

Maybe - I just want to make it a secure and reliable as possible so that my big kids can take the board out with their friends and I don’t have to worry about anything. Of course they will be careful and not trash it around, but use it as it’s supposed to be used.

If kids are involved definitely don’t use Lipo. What age are they?

Big kids, youngest is 16

i think it would be fine, just educate them about how dangerous lipos can be. lipos are great but you have to charge them one by one, whereas a lion battery with a bms, just get a charger that is the voltege of the battery and around 15a and you just plug it in and the bms deals with all the charging and balancing of the cells.

im under 16 and building a efoil

1 Like

Sorry, but that is reckless advice at best. No one here wants to see a house get burned down. Lipos should only be used in efoils by very experienced and knowledgeable people. They should only be charged where you would want to build a large fire, especially in the energy density and amounts necessary for an efoil.

Yes sorry, you are very right. i am just used to hobby grade lipos at most 4s (so not a lot of power)
i totally agree with you especially with up to four 6s lipos.

that said there really isn’t a battery with enough voltage and amps that is not a fire hazered, all im saying is to have enough power to get onto foil there is just not a “safe” battery option.

Hi - amazing build! I was wondering about your connectors - in the video it looks like the motor cables are connected with basic hobby RC connectors, is that correct and which connectors did go with? For the battery - are you using AS150 connectors inside and outside the battery box? (How) Do you connect the two batteries inside the box, as there are only two wires coming out of it? If you could share photo of the battery box wiring as of today, that would be great!
Cheers from Hamburg!

Jup, for the motorcables we used basic banana plug connectors, i think 5.5mm. All the battery connectors are AS150, i can send you a photo later this day or tomorrow. There is also a german diy efoil group on telegram if you want to join?
Greetings from Leipzig

Hey there - did you share your stl files for your motor 3D printed pieces? I can’t find them. Would you ?

THx! Great build!

Yes of course,
i just created a google drive folder, have fun

1 Like

btw we created an Insta a week ago

2 Likes

Hey there Toto - could you share your .stl files ? i can’t see how the thing clicks together, and would live ot replicate it.