[Surf n' Destroy] Building a flying sniper rifle case

Really nicely done guys! Excellent economic BOM, with a well proven parts for everyone to follow. Impressive that you manage to balance a 40cm wide board before take-off :slight_smile:
Quite sure somebody will do an ā€œopenable boardā€ soon where mast and foils can be stored next to battery. Also with handle and wheels like the guncase.
For now I stay with inflatables until iā€™ve fully honed my balancing skillsā€¦

1 Like

Just found a new landing-technic, the ā€œBellycrawlerā€

8 Likes

Great job! Looks like you are doing some good testing. :slight_smile:

Do you think it would still climb out of the water with 14s or does 16s seem to be a necessity?
How is the water-proofness of the case turning out?

1 Like

Way to go! Congratulations on an awesome build. It does look really cool to have a narrow board for sharp turns and just a little bit longer than your stance. That was great!

1 Like

The ride you see in the video was the first ever contact with water. So we even didn not check the waterproofness before. Thatā€™s why I was really that amazed like to hear in the video :wink:

For this first ride we took a 12S battery! After the ride we got about 2ml of water inside because one of the screws was not sealed. So itā€™s solid waterproof even as one of the snap locks opened up in the water.

2 Likes

You guys just killed the diy e-foil game.

I am definitively not going to bother with diy board shaping / laminating / custom case waterproofing now.

This is the way.

4 Likes

We are really sorry that you now spend your time not in the garage but in the air :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Haha
All the upsides are pretty obvious. What are the downsides you have experienced so far?

Well you need more power for starting and there is no gliding phase. So you need to stand up out of the trawler phase. It wasnā€™t that easy for me because Iā€™m used to stand up while Iā€™m gliding. @kotnascher he managed it the first time.

Basically thatā€™s it.

1 Like

Now it seems like a 2 piece latching plastic board with some stiffeners is all that is needed. One or 2 molds and you are done!

Really nicely done from start to finish. And excellent documentation and video. Thanks for this. Please continue to give us any new feedback.

Would you say that this design is more dangerous because the case is heavier and harder than an inflatable / foam board, in case your head its it?

The case is not that hard like my carbon board. Weight is about 7kilos (only the case). The mast and as well the foils are in my opinion the more dangerous parts.

1 Like

Do you plan to improve / modify your design further, and/or share more details of the conception?

I donā€™t know what we should change to be honest :wink: We can share the 3D of the stiffener. What else do you need?

Iā€™ve got an RL mast as well and would like to print the setup you have with the motor mount and prop. Would you share files as I canā€™t seem to find anything online and Iā€™m not great at Cad yet!

Well, I donā€™t understand how do you :

• waterproof the holes in the case for attaching the aluminium frame (I donā€™t get how the rivet help in waterproofing)
  • how do you keep water from coming from the mast hole
  • which tool do you use to fold the aluminium plate, and how did you calculate where to fold it so it fits perfectly the angles of the board

?

Si if you could share more pictures of the holes with rivets also from the outside so I can understand how it works that would be great !

Hi nicolaje

• to attach the aluminium frame we put M5 flathead screws (covered with innotec adhesive) through holes on the sides of both plastic and aluminium and secured them with self-locking nuts
  • between mastplate and case is a thin sponge rubber plate to make it waterproof, also the motor cables are glued in the mastplate with innotec adhesive to prevent water coming through the mast
  • the aluminium frame was manifactured by a local lasercutting companie, we ā€œjustā€ had to generate a precise 3d file (credits go to @superlefax :muscle:)

I hope these informations helped you, maybe i can take some pictures on the weekend to show you

3 Likes

Great build. helps a ton with chosing right parts for first build. What prop are you using? Is the 7" prop that Maytech and Flipsy package with their kits of any use? Can anyone share a list of sources for props that work well for efoil w/120Kv,14s and a larger wing (moses w1100, moses w950)

Aloha,

The say imitation is the highest form of flattery :slight_smile:

My first attempt at a build

From Maui with love

17 Likes