Tobi's build from Berlin

Hi @tosh.jah! How large did you make the hatch?

Hey @FacuO, the measurement Inside is 70cm * 40cm.
3cm all around for the seal.
But I just used these measurements to accommodate my battery pack and the electronics compartment.

1 Like

@Wardy Dan brought to to your awesome build mate. VERY IMPRESSIVE

1 Like

would you recommend a 150 fuse ? I believe this is enough (I plan to go 14S9P)

Hey mate!
As long as you go with 14S I can recommend 150A fuse. I’m also at 14S and on the battery side I use 120A Fuse. One 120A melting fuse within the battery box and the 120A BLUE SEA fuse which I also use as a switch for the electronics.
I never was able to blow the fuse.

But get the more pricey ones from BLUE SEA, they’re higher quality and will blow at the exact value!

2 Likes

Hey guys,
I have been posting some of my learnings and advances in in other topics so I want to keep my build up to date as well!

The summer has been amazing and I have spend more time on the water than any other year. I was happy to be able to finish my second board in time and going out for runs with family and friends was well worth the effort.

This is a video of a roadtrip to Croatia:

On my V1 I’ve remade the seal cause on my first try I had some air bubbles within the seal. I found out that cooling the silicone before mixing gives it a longer reaction time and better overall result. I’ve also changed all right angle connectors to straight plugs. They’re 5,7mm Amphenol ones:
https://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/Amphenol-Industrial/SLPIPA16BSB?qs=XeJtXLiO41RzXiFz6PjVLQ%3D%3D

Updated V1 interior:

V2 Plugs exchange:

Mostly I’m carrying my boards into the water but if necessary I found these two ways of transporting them quite comfortable:

Especially the smaller one is handy, where i’ve bolted a wooden board to it plus some deckpad on top. Like that the board won’t slide while transporting.

Building a 14S14P battery with a level fusing was a fun project. It’s a 18650 Samsung 30Q pack.

Here’s a link to these nickel strips:

I had to spot weld two layers of nickel strips, since one layer will only do 3A continuous without getting warm and will blow fast at 8A per cell.
Now with two layers I have 6A continuous and 16A fusing. Times 14 cells this is 84A and 224A max.
I’m running the pack with a 200A Smart BMS…

Here are the pics:

On a short weekend trip to a lake close to Berlin we have been able to rent a Lift board for a day and compare it to V1 and V2.

And what shall I say, of course I’m happy I didn’t spend 12k for the exact same experience. :smile:

Version 3 build is is almost coming to an end and and I’ve already started a new project for the winter:

It’s a Gong kube 3’11 (119cm) board with 90cm Gong mast and FR Motor. The foil is Fluid Pro Clear L.

Finally winter is starting and it’s time to get out the dry suit for some more fun before the snow starts falling! :joy:

12 Likes

What is your third build?

The V3 board is a copy of V1, made from a Anton Wingboard of the same dimensions 147x65cm 70 Liter.
Lid is made again from sealed multiplex plate combined with 1mm CF sheet.
Motor will be 65161 either the flite inspired custom made mast and fuselage or I’ve got another one mounted already to a 90cm slingshot mast.

4 Likes

Cool board! What do you expect from the V4 with Kube board in contrast? The Kube board looks perfect for the conversion.

1 Like

Cheers mate!
On my previous boards i haven’t considered weight as much. Everything was built quite rigid, hence a little on the heavy side. Of course handling becomes a little more tricky.
On the Gong Board i will probably use a smaller battery pack to keep the weight lower. Definitely it will be a pro board. Similar to @superlefax 120cm TicTac board.
The biggest challenge will most probably be to start on such a small board, as it is difficult to shift enough weight forward.
Once up on the foil, handling will be much more responsive.
I also think that the Gong Kube is a perfect board for conversion into an efoil. It always hurts a bit to cut open a nicely done finished board… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

sorry to hijack the thread, but have you tried the kube in wingfoiling? I could not find anything on the internet…

I want to build a smaller board that fits in my car and 120-130 would be ideal, but i’m afraid it’s too short and wave resistance would be horrible in such a small board, making it really hard to take off in low winds…

Sorry, i haven’t tried the board for winging…
But what i’ve read the Kube series isn’t built for light wind anyway. It’s a freestyle board for experts, given the size of the board it must be a hell lot of fun using it for winging.
Regarding a board that fits into a car, i’m quite happy to have a van where i can just junk all equipment in. Usually i don’t even disassemble the boards:

3 Likes

thank for the hints,
I’ll guess I’ll try something new and experiment with a folding nose or something, after all I just need 50 cm to be folded. This is after the front foot so loads should be minimal https://www.surfertoday.com/surfing/the-fantastic-world-of-collapsible-surfboards

1 Like

Hey Tobi, awesome build.
I could use some advice regarding the battery box from bopla.
How did you order it and how much did you pay?
I send a request and they want 300€ for the box. Is there something I have to look for when ordering?

Cheers, have you been in contact with Bopla directly? 300€ seems a little overpriced!
I’ve just checked where I’ve bought the box. It was this online shop:

https://www.voelkner.de/products/295588/Bopla-EUROMAS-P-339-4339000-Universal-Gehaeuse-360-x-360-x-91-Polyester-Fehgrau-seidenmatt-1St..html

Crazy though that the prize has increased a lot, since I’ve paid 173€ just last year!

If you don’t necessarily want to go for 14S14P or similar config, @Vincentbraillard found a sweet solution with a more economic box, that suits a 12S10P config:

https://www.distrelec.de/de/kunststoffgehaeuse-230x300x86mm-hellgrau-polycarbonat-ip65-rnd-components-rnd-455-00203/p/30064424

2 Likes

I do have a 14S14P and it will not fit in this one.
And sadly they don’t allow me to put Spain for shipping

Hello,

Great build!

I like the idea of Blues Seas fuse, and may use 150 Amp version for my build.

For your fuse, what size box are you using?

Do you like this size box? Or would you use a larger junction box if you had to make it again?

Hey Ryan!
Blue Sea fuses aren’t cheap, but definitely worth it!
I figured it would fit exactly in this box, in fact i’m using this setup also in all of my builds. Can highly recommend if you are using this kind of fuse.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Gehaeuse-universell-1594-Y-81mm-X-56mm-Z-40mm-schwarz-1594BWBK-Universal-G-/383258475869?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=707-127634-2357-0

1 Like

AHH ok, yes I contacted Bopla directly.

And actually I’m going for the even bigger 40 by 40cm box for a 16s12p battery with the ESC and all the electronics inside the box.

I will have a look if I can find the box in a different shop or if the other box manufacturer you mentioned offers a similar box

Thanks for your help :smiley:

1 Like

By the way, would your box be strong enough to stand on it directly?