Volker’s Build - 80100 18650-30Q

Which propeller?
80kV or 130kV?

its the 80 KV and using your 2 blade prop.

I guess the Problem is “static”.
This “test” is useless

No one does a kickdown with his Car with pulled handbreak, wondering why the Clutch is Smoking😂
:thinking:

Yes i think you are right. I was surprised i could get to around 10000W when the motor was rated for only 7000. I tested a 54mm alien outrunner motor before (like 2 years ago) and could not get it to pull more than its rated current even with a way too massive prop. Cant wait to try this thing out in the water for real this time!

I wouldn’t say so.
1- It would have been more informative with a (bathroom) scale between the wall and the foil/motor to know the brute force of this drive train,
2- the best information is probably that we know that this 400A FLIER ESC is a trustworthy one. Nobody will ever meet these conditions :wink:

I was mostly doing it so I could stress test the system at wot while keeping an eye on current and temps of the various parts and connections inside my electronics box. Stuff defiantly gets hot at 200+ Amps. Speed controller barely got warm but is watercooled with a small closed loop system. 8awg wires and xt150 connections seemed to get the hottest around 200F even with 200A runs of only 10 or so seconds. I was just surprised at how much current it did draw albeit static.

I like your build. I have been looking carefully at your photos. I am considering doing my next board similar to yours. Yours is very light and uses batteries similar to my configuration. It appears the thin box would do a good job of carrying the loads from the mast. I am wondering how you did a few things. What tool did you use to cut those keys in the thin plywood? You have screws between the battery compartment and the electronics compartment, what stops the water from flowing down those screws in to the electronics and battery compartments? Or maybe your threaded inserts have bottoms so the water can’t get through that way? Is it just one layer of fiberglass on the board? Does the wooden box have fiberglass fabric inside the box or is it just epoxy coated?

1 Like

Plywood is cut with bandsaw and Router table
Threaded Inserts have a bottom, yes
Its 2-3Layer Glass in Board
1-2 Layer glas inside Box

Sorry I’m late to the party Volker, just a quick note to say thanks for the great build log. Some good solutions to make a nice finished board. I’m particularly interested with the propellers you made and the data you got. Im looking to cast a folding propeller in bronze and was wondering if it would be ok to use one of your models to modify and cast? If so, could you tell me which one you think would be a good candidate for such a project?
You can check out the thread if you’re interested.
https://foil.zone/t/community-designed-produced-folding-propellor/16532
Mani