Daniel's 2nd build

Started almost 3 years ago with my 2nd build. I started with some wings (rear and main wing) to test molding with 3d printed molds.

Rear wing:
the printed mold was glued together and coated with gelcoat, then sanded.
after treating with release agent, gelcoat was applied with a brush. Next 80g glass, when the gelcoat is sticky. Then twill and biax layers.
Each half shell was vacuum bagged (-0.6 to -0.8 bar) with peel ply. Be careful with heat (like heating blanket), pla with 15% infill will deform under pressure, if it gets above 50 degrees C.
The two cured halves need to be trimmed until they fit into the mold again.
Last step is to fill the mold with a mixture of cfk flakes and thickened epoxy with micro balloons and thickener. Trimm again. I made a 3d printed drill jig to drill the holes.


printed in esun pla+, 15% infill gyroid

glued the two halves with 2k epoxy glue

Templates from masking tape

a little bit of spray glue helps to keep the cfk edges nice

200g/m2 twill and some layers of 300g/m2 biax

reserved for link to thingiverse:

link to another backwing I designed: Hydrofoil rear wing mould by dfi - Thingiverse

backwing collection:
from top: 320cm2, 280cm2, 220cm2

Front wing:
Front wing was built the same way but with a strut from cfk covered balsa.


the mold consists of 2x4 segments that need to be glued together


spray glue to keep a sharp edge


Layers from outside to inside


trim the cured halves to fit the mold


balsa wrapped in cfk


vacuum in position with film between the shell and the strut


add some 50g/m3 foam, sanded to fit


fill with thickened epoxy mixed with micro ballons and cfk flakes


close an cure with camps


drill jig


end result

10 Likes

Mast:
The mast was built the same way as the wings. The mold is slightly more complicated as it consists of more than two parts. Design is from @visor360.


Glued the pieces and aligned them to be straight/90° respectively


Reinforced it with wood and glassed it over on the outside


Built an insert from forged carbon to hold the FR motor. The insert was built with a 2 part mold, filled with epoxy and cfk flakes pressed together. Pin holes to fix the motor were kept with two 5.5mm alu rods.


Finished insert


3 cfk tubes 10x8mm serve as cable channels. I put a 4th in front that could be drilled open later for passive water-cooling if necessary. The tubes just fit between the two halves. 60kg/m3 foam core sanded to fit the rest of the core.


Glued in 3mm cfk rods for better bonding


Inserts from stainless steel 1.4301. It was a pain to cut threads into this material, especially M6. I broke 2 tappers and had to drill the core a bit bigger and order some special tappers for stainless steel. Hole pattern is for RL and Flite


Put some caps to the end of the threads to get space for the screws and covered it with epoxy and cfk flakes.

Added some grease to the screws as a “release agent”


Printed a tool for alignment of the motor insert when putting the halves togetter


There are many layers of 300g/m2 biax bent around the edge at the top of the mast (@ the inside, not visible here)


3d printed tool to drill the fixing pin hole into the shell


Made the pins from titan to prevent corrosion and because I had never worked with it an wanted to try it. Quite easy to lathe, drill and even cut threads. Sanding/grinding it is really hard!


The 5.5mm pins are held in place with an M3 grub screw


Drill jig for the mast mounting holes (90x165) with bearings as drill guides. Arrows should point to the seam


HA wing from post above


RL and Flight hole pattern


RL and Flight hole pattern


Flight copy with Flyer800 wing and diys rear wing (needs an adapter to make it fit better)

2 Likes

Board:
The board is from 30kg/m3 XPS with Airex75kg/m2 Top and bottom (flat part). It is shorter than the first one, length is 133x55x13.5cm.


The main compartment was cut with hotwire (nichrome 0.5mm)


same for the “connector” compartment


The slots for square cfk bars and the connection to the main compartment were made with an over router.


Connector plate


Square CFK tubes


connecting piece of 5mm cfk to spread load to the board and to the top


Vacuum bagged the connector box, 2 layers of cfk 200g.


connector plate with inserts was laminated into place to be flush with the main compartment,


Stainless steel inseerts to hold the mast


5mm full carbon board to fix the mast (is a bit overkill an heavy but strong)


Sandwich from 5mm CFK board an 5mm and Airex75kg/m2. Inside 1 layer of glass 280g/m3, outside 200g/m3 CFK. 3d Printed caps to cover and hold mast nut inserts in place


Glued in bottom plate and laminated the edge of the inside


Laminated front compartment for receiver and GPS. The hatch is connected through a 16mm electrical tube to the main compartment.


12mm Airex board glued on top. The4 cutouts on the side are for handle inserts.


3d printed hadle inserts, covered with 3mm CFK Board. 4mm Stainless rod to hold a Velcro loop covered with neoprene


Magnet cap with magnets to find the insert after laminating


Made a screw router addon for the Dremel flex wire extension


Routed slots for printes inserts with nuts to fix stuff later. Nuts were filled with play doh like sealing called “Coltogum”


Flatened the walls with filler.


Frame with M5 square nuts to screw the lid


Consists of 2 parts, frame an screw cover


Routed holes for the frame with a template and Dremel


Glued it in


Laminated the inside of the compartment with 2x 280g glass. Reason for glass is transparency to find the inserts!


Cut the outline with hot wire


Shaped the rails (cut and sanded)


I did not like the shape of the back, the round corners of the template were a mistake


I had to change it! glued some pieces with 1k foam


better

10 Likes

Wow your building everything from scratch that deserves respect!

3 Likes

Amazing. Awesome detail - thanks for sharing!