Daniels (un)geared inflatable (slowly built)

What pipe did you use? And what is the outside diameter of your engine?
I am looking for a suitable pipe for the Flipsky 65161/120 engine

The tube is od 60mm/2mm wall thickness → id 56mm which tightly fits a SSS56104 mm inrunner.
I got it from ebay long time ago. It will not fit a 65161 with an od of 65.5mm. The 56104 ist not waterproof and needs a reduction gear, that‘s why I put it in a tube. If you put the motor in a tube, it is important to have a tight fit to transfer the heat to the water.

How is the efficiency when foiling with the 63100, I wonder if the torque and power usage compares well to an inrunner? I’m considering a 63100 for my next tow boogie build, as a way to save 2kg compared to the 65161 I’m currently using, so that I can run a bigger battery for more waves. I like the look of your cnc prop adaptor, and would need to find a local machine shop to build one so I can use a manta prop.

Efficiency is quite good when foiling with a 1600cm2 RL wing @26km/h average, I used 63Wh/km. Prop is from Flite. The prop adapter was made from alu 6082 on a lathe, holes were drilled with 3d printed drill jig. The 63100 might need more maintenance (recoate stator and change bearings) than a 65161, especially when run in salt water.

A 3d printed drill guide for the mounting holes is a simple way to make it. I’m running in salt water, which is going to be hard on any motor. I haven’t seen much feedback on here about longer term durability of the epoxy coated out runners versus the flipsky 65161. Bearings will be a definite maintenance thing.

New battery Pack
Buit a new pair of batteries from Samsung 21700 40T. They were available for a good price from nkon. I built them like the first ones, apart from the main wire connection to the nickel strip. This time I soldered them to the nickel before spotwelding. This way the cells do not absorb heat from soldering which could damage them. Tested them once, they work great. Capacity is slightly lower than the molicel p42A pack but that’s justified by the lower price of the cells.

11 Likes

Hi

Your pack looks great, thanks for the heads up on Nkon samsung 40T cells, I was looking for some Molicel p42 but these will work out cheaper at 4.10 euro per cell. Hopefully they won’t sting me for import tax to the UK.

1 Like

Got them from ru.nkon.nl, the shop for non EU customers:
https://ru.nkon.nl/samsung-inr21700-40t-4000mah-30a.html

3€ without tax

Thanks for the info, I’ll email them and check which site I should use. I’ll have to pay import tax when they come into the UK still.

If you are in UK, you also have fogstar. https://www.fogstar-wholesale.co.uk/product/molicel-p42a/

Thanks, I thought Fogstar were the cheapest but Nkon wins at the moment.

Fogstar wholesale is £535 for 120 x molicel P42

Nkon is £300 + £70 tax and duty for 120 x Samsung T40

FlightAssist
Added a new gadget to help control of height when the water surface is really flat. Sometimes when there is no wind I find it hard to judge the height above the water surface and the motor breaches the surface.
I built a little helper to show the height. It is based on Arduino and an ultrasonic sensor.
Hight is measured every 5ms, one of the 8 LEDs shows the position in green, lowest and highest in red, 2nd in orange.
I only tested it once but it seemed to work quite ok. Added a filter for better stability of the LED display.

13 Likes

Do you plan to interface this with a servo at foil level, front wing or stab ?

No, I don‘t want too much automatic controol, prefer to keep that manual. Could be useful for a boat on foil though. The question is if the measurement is fast enough.

What is your sensor reference ?

Do you mean which Sensor I use?
This one, PWM: US $9.57 21% Off | NEW PWM DC5V Ultrasonic ranging sensor ultrasonic waterproof distance sensor waterproof probe RS485 ultrasonic sensor module
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mP8oixy

There is a link to a Github repository where you can find the Arduino code, a BOM, STL files of 3D printed parts and a schematic drawing.

3 Likes

@sat_be it’s fun because before I start my eFoil project, I bought few month ago a waterproof ultrason unit with the same idea in mind but for my wingfoil board. A winter project :wink:
I don’t know what is the max Hz of your sensor versus the one I choose. Will try to find this info soon. Congrats for idea, perfect achievement and the most important, you share it on github #opensource :love_letter:

1 Like

Surface sensing wand: it’s pretty curious that nobody has attempted to develop a mechanical wand to sense water level and adjust the foil height… as moth boats do.

Great idea… i have similar problem…
Im riding on a lake that can get like a glass when thare is no wind so it is realy hard to know hight.
Can you share your design?

Further up in the post you can find a link to a github repository with code, schematic, parts list, stl files of the enclosure, all you jeed to build it.