DIY Tow Boogie build

Aloha everyone,

I’m attempting an E-Tow/Tow boogie build from scratch after taking notes on Valhalla’s, Jatem’s and JDubs builds as blueprints.

I have a Prusa MK4 3D printer, old boogie board and ordered a Flipsky 65161 motor. I am looking for some input about which VESC and batteries to use, Flipsky has water cooling enclosures and alunimum case enclosures - is it necessary to use the water cooling enclosure? As far as a power source, I’m a little lost - after reading Jatems post I’m very hesitant to build a Li-ion battery, are there any good options for aftermarket batteries I could buy to power the setup?

The other question I have is about the torque required for an in-water tow start. I saw @Jesserosco video and his dual motor seemed to have no issue pulling him out of the water, however most of the single motor tow-boogie videos are using large winging boards for knee starts - any feedback on the feasibility of in-water starts using a single motor tow-boogie?

Thanks guys,

Jordan

I know people with either one big (65161) or two small motors, both no problem pulling them out the water. The benefit with two motors: You can steer the boogie left and right without the need for a servo+rudder construction. Con: You need 2 speed controllers.

Regarding battery:
You can watch my 2-part video on the topic, maybe you will get the courage to build one
Part1
Part2

2 Likes