Erayfoil Remote: Unboxing and Review

Try to set it to 14s, maybe then you get better result

The remote appears to be paired. The input shows up in the VESC when setting the min and max for the throttle. The white line moves in the software when I pull the trigger. Also the motor sort of tries to move when I pull the trigger. It makes little micro movements and sounds like it’s trying pretty hard to make the blades move but they won’t. The motor also gets pretty warm when it is trying. I would think that something is wrong with the motor but it spins fine when I run the motor detection wizard.

It seems that your remote is paired and working ok, and it could be a vesc config issue - have you tried a different remote? Are you running the vesc PPM app in duty cycle or current control mode? I have had issues with the motor not starting in duty cycle mode, but current control works well.

I would prefer that the included antenna was longer, so that I could run it outside my aluminium vesc enclosure. The maytech remote has a 1m antenna option you can include with the remote purchase.

I’ve tried both current and duty cycle and they seem about the same. Havent tried another remote but at least through the setup for the remote on the VESC the software seems to be responding accurately to the trigger pulls. I am thinking I might delete the PPM app and re-add it. I think that would wipe out any bad settings that might have been set without me realizing it.

Is it weird for the motor to get hot when I’m running it. The blades aren’t really spinning but the motor gets hot. I was thinking maybe that isn’t normal and the motor isn’t spinning because the controller sees that it is too hot.

Mike

I encountered an unexpected issue today where I couldn’t get onto the foil, caused by the erayfoil limiting max throttle. It turns out that when you hold down the - button for longer than the 3 seconds required to unlock the remote (after a fall), the erayfoil remote starts reducing the maximum throttle level of the remote.

It makes sense that you can change the max throttle level by using - and + when the remote is already unlocked, but I think that when you are holding the - button to unlock the remote it should not go onto have this secondary effect.

Another feature request - I’d like it to display the actual voltage on the display, rather than 5 bars - eg. 45.7 V.

1 Like

Found the solution to this problem. I needed to turn off Phase Filtering. This thread was posted yesterday and had the solution in it: VESC Setup Help Please!. Just posting this in case someone has the same problem in the future and finds this thread.

The (-) button is taking increasing thumb force to unlock the remote. Is it possible for the safety lock feature to be disabled completely?

Is anyone else bothered by a large amount of thumb pressure required to unlock these remotes? I’ve bought three, and the last two are taking a very hard push of the “-” button to unlock the remote.

Edit:
I think I have found the problem. They aren’t calibrated from the factory, and the throttle is registering some movement at rest and therefore refuses to allow unlocking. After going into the remote menu and entering a min and max in the calibration section, it’s unlocking easily.

That would mean the “-” button is actuated in some sort or that there is an adjustable locking force.
This is surprising on one of the cheapest remote on the market where no other brand offers this.

It was probably just flexing the board, reducing the throttle signal. The issue was the calibration not being set by the factory, and it won’t unlock unless there’s no throttle at all.

I just tried my new erayfoil remote, had a hard time setting it up.

First it was locked no matter what i did, I couldn’t unlock it by holding “-” button as described in the instructions.

Tried pushing, holding every combination of buttons, finally i got it turned on straight into the setup menu where i could use the buttons.

To achieve this I had to turn it off and press + and power button (it’s not possible to get into menu from ”ON” state)

Then i did calibration of throttle and pairing.

The pairing was not straightforward, i tried a few times, even though it was shown saved as it should and remote showed connection on the display, however the pairing led did not turn on on the receiver.

Pairing was not completed until i started pairing in the remote program, powered on the VESC without the receiver connected, waited for some seconds, then plugged in the receiver - and finally got pairing LED to turn on. After this i could finally unlock and try it.

@Jatem:
It seems that you cannot unlock buttons until remote is calibrated and paired - which isn’t exactly clear in the instructions.

The pairing issues were probably caused by the startup sequence of the vesc so i don’t think that was an issue in the remote.

Once on the water the safety lock called “out of control protection” was not the best feature for my 110cm shortboard - i need to lie over the edge of the board to keep the nose down and easily got enough water splashed on the remote to activate protection and stop the motor - so i had the pleasure of doing a number of somersaults into zero degree water, then getting run into by my board…

@Franky @qzyf : I really wish that it was possible to turn off the splash safety lock feature in the program, it makes it harder to use the remote. Can you support with this option? I think i’ve seen more users having the same experience here on foil zone.

1 Like

Also change all screws to stainless.
Mine were black anodized.

we plan to have the option to select the security lock in the new version

1 Like

That’s great! Is the remote i already have possible to update?

When is the updated version available, with the option to disable the safety lock feature?

Unfortunately, these erayfoil remotes don’t seem to be waterproof long term. I can’t recommend using them in the ocean. After less than 12 months of use, my erayfoil remote has leaked water into the battery, causing a short on the positive terminal which drains the battery quickly. It is no longer safe to use.

2 Likes

Any news on this? I’m having too much issues with the overly sensitive safety lock feature, i wouldn’t recommend the remote to other users as it is now. When will it be updated?

The erayfoil remote doesn’t float, which was a problem today when the eray wrist leash snapped and I dropped the remote, never to see it again. Luckily I had a buddy to tow me the long way back to shore.

I would highly recommend that you use a floating remote. I had attached a float to the wrist strap, which was ok until the strap snapped.

The display had been glitching on the remote, and was unreadable most of the time, so it isn’t a big loss.

1 Like

@ludwig_bre, does the BREmote float ?

Yes it does, 88g for 150ml water displacement.
So density about 0.6, 40% less than water
So it floats very well.

3 Likes