Foil Drive Assist, DIY

My mate just showed me these cells has anyone tried them?
Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! AU$83.23 | Big-capacity 3.2V 20AH Lifepo4 High Drain Lithium Rechargeable Battery Cell DIY Battery Pack
https://a.aliexpress.com/_msXkhRq

Those appear to be LIPO4 cells, which is a different chemistry from Lithium ion (note the lower 3.2V nominal instead of 3.6V nominal). They have lots of current but have poorer energy density. You’ll end up with a much heavier pack which is not great for an assist build. Note the size too, they are 135mmx40mm, they are big cells.

It’s not a good idea to get unknown cells from unknown sellers, fake cells are very common.

Where does it even say they are high current cells? No spec sheet so no guarantee which current they can deliver. C40 is the model name, it doesn’t say they are capable of 40c (800A!)

Lifepo4 have advantages, long life and they are safer but they are less energy dense.

In short, don’t buy.

2 Likes

I think there is no need to be so troublesome. Making a product requires a lot of time and cost. We should spend more time enjoying the fun brought by the product. If you don’t have time to make this product. We’ll provide it. I have been here for a long time and have learned a lot. Thank you everyone for sharing! We are willing to provide 10 foil assist units at a 40% discount to everyone to help promote it. We have tested the product and found that the thrust is greater than 30 kilograms and the battery life is greater than 3 hours. Welcome to provide good suggestions to make our products better. Coupon code YM565ZM5 www.yefoil.com. Only 10 units have this offer. After 10 units are sold, there will always be a 10% discount.

Looks like a good 5 cynic years of stealing ideas of creative hobbyists without a single contribution back, according to your profile.

2 Likes

Hello, Did you manage to rake appart the maytech 6374 by juste pulling thé outside part . Mine stay stuck After 1cm?

Now is the time to give back

Nice foil assist but I’m not here to buy a unit my goal is to build an assist integrated into my boards and into my Armstrong mast. Sorry fellas for asking about different options for batteries but I’m no electronic expert but I’ve built e-bikes and model gliders that have flown to 400mph. My mate makes packs with these giant cells on his winches for thermal gliders. And says they run the winches all day. It’s great that everyone here is willing to help and I take the advice on.
Cheers
I’ll stick to the 21700 cells👍🏽

2 Likes

1: Its not giving back if people are paying for it…
2: The design is worse than the current DIY and open source options out there.

Yeah, I jiggled it about. But to be honest its a pretty crap motor. The Maytech is weaker, slower, rusted after first use, bad waterproofing etc.
Get yourself a Flipsky 6374 or 6384 and then there’s nothing to do.

When you say Maytech, it includes all these AliExpress $50 6384 motors?
Are these motors weaker than the Flipsky waterproof?

Sell all ten to @1kfauxdrive and then maybe both of you might stop posting on this forum

3 Likes

No, those are better than the maytech. They have a larger stator and more power.

2 Likes

+1. Maytech has a better build quality than regular Ali 6384. (Phase wires, waterproofing…) But power not enough for most e-foil systems. Maybe with a three blade prop it would be better.

Yes they are. Although the maytech (not generic Ali) uses paint and not epoxy. Which IS not Bad per Say but a weaker option than the thermal epoxy potted like flipsky and saite or the DIY version (based ond the Ali ones) you can find in this forum.

I Can confirm that with a three blades you Can get a lot of it. (I manage to lift my 63kg with a 1250cm2 on an inflated board first session without pumping) On 12S

Thanks jezaa.jiggle I will😁

Foilguy, off topic and inappropriate as usual. He is among the 9 out of 10 people here doing the same. That’s why I will consider stopping posting here, poor community spirit. If it was up to me my whole thread would be deleted by now because it was swamped with foil trolls aka troils. Even this post is against community guidelines because when a post is flagged as off topic or inappropriate it never gets deleted. This forum seems swamped with people who wasted their time and money and who are actively seeking to put up barriers to entry to foil assist. If I do post here again I will just have to block people asap. The $1k foil assist seems possible to me and if it is technically possible, it is inevitable but I will hesitate to seek or provide help here.

I think that maybe you…are the troll… this forum is crammed full of knowledge as well as those that have given up the time to share it. You, seem to spend most of your time refuting what is now proven to work even though you dont seem to have any actual experience in any of it… ive built three foil drive systems and they all work fine…i also built them for under a 1000 bucks using some of the advice and products suggested in this forum…i also owe alot of thanks to those that helped me with CAD, wiring and battery schematics… you might find that if you were less in everyone’s face when people suggest things you might get somewhere.
Personally, i find your tone and unwillingness to listen to those with actual knowledge both annoying and frustrating.

I’d take your own advice mate and bog off elsewhere…You wont but then i expect nothing less.
K

8 Likes

Something unusual happened during today’s session. After a few pop-ups, the power dropped to the point where it couldn’t lift the foil. What a bummer!

1. Nothing changed since the last successful session.
  2. There are no mechanical or electrical issues.
  3. I’m stumped. But next time it happens, I’ll try reconnecting the battery—it might be some kind of ESC protection function.

I’m using a 6384 motor with an Xcross 160A ESC with fans, and a 12s3p battery setup. You can check out the build here.