Foil Drive Assist, DIY

Do you add any extra safety cutoff on them?

I do not but I think some on the forum do. If there is an issue I can submerge the remote then turn it off.

Can’t remember but i might’ve asked before, what do you weigh and which wing are the numbers from?

I weigh 175 lbs using the axis 1150 wing on a 90cm mast.

2 Likes

s9tim
thank you for the update
will purchase a Flycolor 100amp as well as the 80A
What handset controller are you using?

Efoilkit does it activated by a waist leash:
'Foildrive Assist commercial alternatives around the globe

I use a simple magnetic switch to the vesc since it has a killswitch feature but i was wondering how the failsafe is done for a simple esc, never tried this. I’d guess if you break the signal or feed to the receiver the esc might go into failsafe and need throttle recalibration (which would be awkward)

You also have @jeffM Kilovac solution cutting the power between ESC and battery…

Can’t cut between esc and motor, between esc and battery might pose a risk for the esc (even though i do that since two years on one board.)

1 Like

Using the maytech waterproof remote

1 Like

s9tim
Thank you working thru the Alum Heat sink

Hello everybody. I am learning wingfoil but I leave in a low wind zone, so I am thinking to implement a e-assisted solution for taking off. This is also because my pumping skills are mediocre. I studied the ready made solutions but what concerns me is the remote. How could you operate a efoil style remote with two hands on the wing? I would prefer an ebike style very simple remote with a plus/minus button to be operated with just the thumb, collocated on wing handle. Is there any available Bluetooth solution like this? Any considerations on this Matter by the winging folks?

I have tried with the maytech remote, doable bute quite uncomfortable . a button solution (one would be enough) to strap on the handle would be interesting for me too

You have a lot of videos showing how foil drive can help with light wind winging or using a smaller front wing

Why not use a FD Maytech remote paddle mount ?

![Screenshot_2021-06-22-Electric-Paddle-Assist-Foil-Surfing-Foil-Drive-Australia1|690x389,

A customised home made Bremote ?

1 Like

I am using wings without boom, any other ideas?

Long time reader/researcher/lurker of all this awesome work you all are sharing in these forums!!! I started building a foil assist and got side tracked with a tow boogie that is working and just tweaking around with making it better, so I am back on my foil assist build.

I have the Maytech 100a VESC and the same DSE box the big company uses. The VESC is a tight fit and I am wondering if anyone else is using this setup and willing to share info/pics how they wired the motor wires through the gland and connected to VESC before I start experimenting with wire length? It looks like it will just have to be super precise on getting the wires cut to the right length.

I also have a fly color 80a on the way. I have a 8s3p P42a battery pack.

I use the mount in the picture printed out of tpu. I put a small leash on the remote incase it falls out and use zip ties on the handle of the inflatable wing.

3 blades folding prop is the upgraded version of the assist plus!

After using my flycolor 80amp esc hv3 for 4 months ( using 4-5x/week), I must admit I burned it out. I got caught in a storm and was 2km away from home downwind . Very strong headwind. Had to go full throttle against the wind for about 20 minutes ( perhaps longer) just to get back home. I got to the dock and after landing the esc no longer worked. It did smell burned out, but I had no regrets – had to do what I had to do. Cost me 35USD but worth it.
I suppose I could have slowed down a bit— but I was worried about getting into more trouble with the storm so gunned it.
Bought 2 more of the same

Despite the external heatsink ( which probably was not getting cooled adequately for 20 minutes) it was toast.
I have burned out other ESC’s with less punishment for sure

4 Likes

gzmann
would any of the other popular esc like Maytech or Flipsky have survived the same treatment or simply shut down from overheating.??

My Flycolor 80amp esc arrived a few hours ago, so can start fitting the extended heatsink
keep you posted
Thank you for the PM