Foil Drive Assist, DIY

I’m looking forward to seeing the pictures. It sounds great and it is good to hear of other inexpensive options.

So you disconnect the cable from the receiver side and connect to the programmer, or you have a T there ? It is actually two wires that active, right ?

I only use plug and play ESC, very powerful and sensitive trigger

Do you mean this Esc is PNP ?
Sensitive trigger using this ESC ? And it cannot be tuned in the settings? The Acceleration setting cannot tune it? What are the impications of sensitive trigger?

How do you isolate the box around the heatsink?

weld motor wires at 45degrees

What do you mean by 45?

What remote do you use ?
What battery configuration do you use ?
What motor do you use and how did you care about waterproofing?
How do you check the battery level when surfing?

Question about Flydragon 12s 80A/150A , @gzmann, @tosh.jah and others who use it:

1. Did you try both of them, do you get a sense that 80A is enough?
  2. Are you able to set soft rump up current or is the soft rump built-in?
  3. It is hard to find a manual for these things…how do you know how to program it?
  4. Can I just use it as is, just make a hole in a box for it’s radiator or it’s body to protrude outside and glue it to the box, here are the body variations:

I actually have and have used all 3 of them. I was using the top 80amp version for most of the year - actually efoiling. I would probably fall every 5-10 minutes as I am always trying to improve my foiling skills. This might have helped in cooling it down. I do have a cooling plate glued to the outside of my box and with the hole inside use double sided thermal tape to stick it on. It seems to do the job.
All 3 of these ESC s do much better for cooling than the other 5 different makes/types i have used.
Only on the 150a flydragon can you program the soft start in. That being said , I prefer better control of the starting , so I dont use/ prefer it.
All the manuals are available on line. They are not difficult to program, but you do have to read instructions several times.
I only use flycolor now. They are plug and play!!! I got tired of the VESC system

2 Likes

Collaborative ? What a great initiative ! A Foil Drive Assist DiY is a clear first step for anyone wishing to enter the small world of efoiling.

1 Like

With a bit of tinkering, it should be possible to maintain a fairing along the mast trailing edge with a strap.
here @pablo_foil Pablo setup.

Did somebody try to 3d print the Box ?
(TPU sealing?)

These 80A hv cost $30 on Ali, are they good?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/699101175.html?spm=a2g0o.home.0.0.650c2145M5pOfr&mp=1

It can be very cheap but great build with the 6384 motor for $55
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005789615565.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.3c9c38daXoNpL0&mp=1

Seems like previous model of Foil Drive didn’t have telemetry on the remote, people had to look at the box for the battery percentage. It mean they didn’t use a VESC.
I am courious what did they use…

Here ya go!! Let me know if ya need anything else.

3 Likes

Yes they are good I have bought several of them and others I know have as well.
They are used - some more than others— but they work well.
I spent over 1000$ on different types of esc and the one I use is 30$ hahahaha

That motor is the same one I bought. Cheap but has lasted months for me. Replaced bearing with hybrid bearings.

gordon

1 Like

So what do think, can I just use it as is, just make a hole in a box for it’s radiator or it’s body to protrude outside and glue it to the box. It already has the radiator, just to protrude it to outside?
You put a thermal pad on what , on the radiator? AFAIR you sanded off the radiator, right?

1 Like

You mean , to print from TPU?

About the grunt strap that you used, it can be printed from TPU, right?

:tada:
I am very glad today to receive the Molicel P42A baterries from Alibaba supplier !
I recommend this supplier, her name Anbor Huang, she marked my package as a low price and wrapped the batteries with a shrink as if it is battery pack :smiley:, so I did not pay customs. If you order, tell her about me - Pavel Ravits.
She gave me a good price -$ 3.5, including shipping to Israel it was $4.9.

The batteries voltage though is 3.55v , don’t know if it is good

1 Like

back on my Foil Assist build with a more effective POD, trying new things. still 8S3P- P42

1 Like

Pardon my ignorance Strongarm, but how do you bolt the motor to the pod? Also, what size dowels are you using?

1 Like

The Li-ion batteries are never stored fully charged. Therefore the voltage of 3.55v is OK.

1 Like

Hi, can you specify the supplier?

Thanks very much. These video tutorials are spot on :+1:

1 Like

Yes, batteries are never stored fully charged, but I thought they are stored at 3.75v