Foil Drive Assist, DIY

Cutting the prop down is NOT a big deal. I used a duct I had printed to trace cut lines on the blades, dremeled the ears off and then a grinder to tweak to consistent sizes. Put the prop on a horizontal freewheeling spindle and see if a blade ends up at the bottom consistently. If so take a tiny bit more off that blade as the heaviest one will go to the bottom. When no more bias appears the prop is effectively balanced. No one is going to die even if the prop is slightly out of balance and for that matter how do you know that the one your using isn’t out of balance right from the factory.

I recommend using the search function on the site to find relevant info on that and other issues. Lots of experience here. No need to reinvent the wheel. You seem to be jumping on whatever someone says as a plan of attack and then changing it based on the next suggestion. Sounds a bit harsh I know but just slow down a bit and think it through. READ READ READ. :grinning:

You also have not made any commitment to consider a different vesc - check the specs of what you have now and determine if setting a higher max current value is even possible without causing it to fail.

Another idea would be to consider buying a tried and true motor, vesc, remote combo that is well documented in this thread. Sell the one you have now or find a different purpose for it before you do something to wreck it.

3 Likes

Hi Foilguy. Not harsh at all. I appreciate the feedback. I know I can definitely be all over the place. I took a long break from even trying to get this to work becuase of frustration which really means a lack of patience as you mentioned. So I will keep it slow and steady, continue to do my research and make some decisions based on what I read here. I know this forum has some amazing DIYers as I have seen the results.

Thanks again for your replies.

Todd

1 Like

Are you sure about Maytech 100A? I can’t fly on it.

I am not sure. It was simply for not advertising a single brand.

tried one on a regular SUP (no foil) they are junk!! Don’t bother.

Great video on how to disassemble the 6384! I have a a few questions:

1. where did you get that red work mat? haha, looks perfect for hobbyists
  2. could you do a video of waterproofing?
  3. which bearings did you replace with?

Can I ask why you are using a BEC? I don’t see many other builds mentioning a BEC. Is it a necessary component? Thank you!!

It depends on the esc or Vesc you use. Some have built in BEC some don’t. If it doesn’t have one, you need to have an external one.

1 Like

My build similar to FDA is underway with 100A esc, 8s3p Molicel P42A, 6384-KV130 motor. Using charge only BMS but would like to fuse discharge. Can anyone recommend fuse rating? 125A?

You probably meant 8s3p.

1 Like

Now I want to see a 18s3p foil assist :rofl:

2 Likes
  1. The red mat is from weller and I got it on Amazon.

2. Yes, it’s literally just soaking in a container of corrosion x.

3. I use ceramic bearings off of AliExpress you need 1 x 6900 size and 2 x 6800 per motor. You could also use stainless ones too.

I fly with 100A Maytech. 190lbs, 56L board Armstrong 1125 foil, 8s3p 21700 molicel P42a’s

Hello
Can you send the stl or the file to peint it please ?
I am with gong mast carbone (non HM)
Super if possible !!

During the last session, the compound with which Flycolor 80A was filled began to leak due to overheating and I decided to completely remove it in order to lengthen the phase wires and place the BEC more efficiently. This is an effective, but too hot ESC, I continue my search, 160A is next.

2 Likes

I’d love to see how you got all that goo outta there!! I’m trying to modify one.

This may be interesting:

https://foil.zone/t/placing-foil-assist-box-on-the-body/19344

Hello, I am interested in your 3D files for attaching the engine to the mast as well as the folding propeller.
thanks in advance

Go X Cross 160A, you won’t regret !

2 Likes

What prop, motor and ESC? having torque issues with my setup, overheating the esc on maytech 6374 (apparentely only 50mm stator)

here some print files for slingshot mast and 6374 motor, hard tpu mount. The files also contain the modified quick release clamp for slingshot mast, with bigger front cone as I had separation of the first version.

2 Likes

It was not technically difficult. I heated the compound with a hot air gun and separated it into fairly large pieces using a utility knife.