Motor waterproofing and replacing phase wires

About to coat my motor (BDUAV 6384 120KV out-runner) with epoxy, have pulled the rotor and stator apart and have a couple of questions…

1. How do you pull the top off the stator so I can uncover the top of the windings and access where the phase wires are soldered?
  2. Will adding a layer of epoxy to the magnets and the outside of the stator cause it to jam (there is not a lot of clearance at a guess < 0.5mm)?
  3. I have purchased a flexible potting epoxy (can handle heat)… is that ok to use or should I use regular epoxy?
  4. The motor comes with 16AWG wires - I will replace with 12AWG - is this correct?

Thanks.

You can use the search, this has been discussed many times.

1 Like

Thanks Vladimir - unfortunately I have not yet found the specific answers to my questions… hence the post.

This is what I have found:

1. The only resource I can find that details how to remove the top off the BDUAV 6384 motor is this youtube video 6384 outrunner motor disassembly.
    I did find this reply to a post which suggests “With low amount of heat and a gentle whack from the back, I stuffed a paper towel where the back bearings sit, placed a socket head 18mm OD, came out in no time” but I am not sure where to apply the heat and my bearings are out already.
  2. Some of the posts on this forum mention adding 1 or 2 coats to the windings and some none, instead opting for a coating of Corrosion-X. Others have 3D printed moulds to sit the stator in then pour in epoxy, others discuss using a lathe to clean off the stator after coating in epoxy. But I could not find a simple answer ie 1 coat of epoxy will be ok on the outside of the stator - ie do you need to clean/sand/lathe it off or is there clearance. I will try 1 layer and see. Likewise for inside the rotor - some thing - people using a lathe to clean off. Just not exactly sure of tolerances. I guess it’s a matter of trying… then remove if it jams.
  3. Found posts discussing whether to use thermal or regular epoxy (apparently either will do), nothing specifically about flexible thermal epoxy for the motor. I did see one topic about flexible epoxies… but not to do with the motor.
  4. The same guy who did the above video discusses replacing the phase wires with 12AWG - see his follow up video: 6384 Outrunner wire replacement

As per youtube video mentioned above… was able to remove top motor cover by inserting a 13mm socket with extension (after removing all bearings first), hold the stator in my hand and whack the socket with a block of wood. Nothing damaged/all surfaces look good.

I have the same motor, I had a pretty bad experience with coating it. I suggest you use a very thin coat of epoxy, in my first attempt I messed up by covering it with a too thick layer, the result was that I was unable to reassemble the stator and the outer rotor was not able to freely rotate. This is my post Slow build from Italy + Avoid my mistakes!

1 Like