Prop design share

This one is the cheapest website to do MJF, you can get an instant quote

MJF have a better surface finish then sls, also is stronger, yes stronger then PC, but not as strong as peek

1 Like

It was $32USD to print and then another $32USD (!) to ship from China to US by DHL. It may be possible to find another print service with lower total cost. I did briefly search and didn’t find any.

The MJF blades are very stiff and don’t have much flex at all, which should be good for a prop.

FYI this two blade prop is meant for a 65161 motor, not the 68xx outrunners.

2 Likes

Zelta 3D in Singapore have excellent quality and shipping costs. Interestingly the last batch had many pieces and shipping to Australia was less than $10!

2 Likes

Curious to see how this prop works for you.

tempus3d.com in Canada has a decent price for mjf. I did an online quote and including shipping within Canada was $71cad

1 Like

I can now report on this prop, as I’ve tested it with my larger D70L165 (120kv) motor, and have 3 1hour sessions with it so far. This prop is Amazing with low end torque, no vibration and really quiet. Punch the throttle and you’re going (this is being used on a 235lb setup (battery box, rider, etc.).

One word of caution, it’s a little too much prop for the D70L165 motor at 100%, so I am only able to run it at about 78-80% throttle before it starts drawing more than the 95amp continuous current ratting of my motor. So for sure the D65L165 crowd should look elsewhere (like the smaller plastic version Waydoo offers). At full throttle it can pull over 130amps from the D70 motor, which is okay for about 10 seconds with that motor but I don’t want to risk burning it and just set my throttle max down lower. Even at this lower throttle setting it’s still getting mid. 25mph / 40km.

For those with a D85L165 motor, you’ll be in heaven, and probably going faster than you may want, but it would not be too much prop for a D85, and it’s almost just right for the D70.

Did you test this yet? How much current draw and at what RPM? I’m currently running the Waydoo 120 T which is a great prop, but a little too much for my D70L165 to run wide open. If this prop can allow me to get 100% throttle while pulling about 90 -95amps this would allow my ESC and system to run cooler / more efficiently. Before I spend time getting one printed just hoping to see what the consensus is and if this would be a good 2nd option to have around. Thank you in advance!

Prop looks really nice! Are you able to publish the specs you are getting when testing the prop? What RPM and what was your current draw at that RPM? How fast was that allowing you to foil? Any information you can provide would be helpful. Thank you for making this prop available!

I run my 75200 vesc at 150amp limit on flipsky 65161 no problem. I doubt your motor even bigger than mine would be scared of 150amps either.

I also want to try this propeller, but I can’t download it from the website. Who can send this file to my email? Thank you! qzyf006@gmail.com

No I didn’t sand or buff it at all, I find that the texture varies every time they print, mine came out fairly smooth off the bat.

I will have this info out in the next few days, my foil has been in for repairs for the past few weeks and I haven’t had a chance to get out on the water in a while. Have a few nice days ahead so ill be sure to get some more testing done!

Well I have the two blade prop from @kevintran mounted on my Flipsky 65161 motor and will give it a trynext time I head out (hopefully in a few days).
I did need to make some slight modification to make it fit. The thread on the Flipsky motor shaft was a bit too large so I had to drill out the prop a bit. I also found the shaft pin I put on on my flipsky motor was too large for the slot on the prop, so had to enlarge that as well.

Not sure I am the most qualified for prop testing as I am still learning to handle my eFoil. Will just have to see much of a difference I can feel and describe. I will log data with Vesc Tool and then I can process it a bit to come up with wh/km values, this seems to be the overall system efficiency metric that is used on the forum. I’ve already done this with my Fliteboard prop with a plot of wh/km vs kph, so there’s something to compare with.

4 Likes

Nice will be cool to see your data. I suggest for good data ride on your knees and consistent speed of 25kmh or so. that will take out the bobble of sketchy riding . you onlt need a few km to see whats up. I plan to to do this on my new big wing tomorrow.

1 Like

Here is a log of a quick ride I had with the prop. My motor is a 120kv flipsky running 13s. My foil is very light at 25kgs AUW with a 1300cm2 wing so its on the slower side with a top speed of 35kph, here is a link to the build : My latest build from Melbourne Australia

1 Like

Looks like you just shared a raw VESC log? It requires some processing to get usable looking data (or I guess the VESC tool viewer, or https://vetr.at).
I took your 2-blade prop out last Friday and I liked it! I’m still organizing the data a bit and will post sometime soon. I’ll give this file a similar treatment and share efficiency results with mine. Unfortunately last Friday was very windy on the lake and the data I have for the Fliteboard prop was perfectly calm

1 Like

Yes my apologies for being lazy and just uploading the raw files.
Glad you liked the prop! What do you think about the noise? I find it fairly quiet

Yes, it is quiet @kevintran! I did appreciate it, especially when going down wind. I didn’t think the Fliteboard prop was causing much noise to begin with. I guess the loading on the motor is just a bit different and it produces less noise.
Still working on a post of my rides (and now yours too)

A few days ago I got out to the lake with the 2 blade prop that @kevintran has kindly shared. I had it 3D printed in MJF by PCBway. I logged some data with my iphone using the VESC app and have included some summaries below. My main point of comparison for the 2-blade prop is a Fliteboard 3-blade prop I’ve been using so far. I also included some results from the file @kevintran posted above.

My Setup: 14S ~1kwh battery, Flipsky 65161 120KV, Gong Curve LT 1450cm2 wing, 43cm stab, 100L Fliteboard, me@63kg dry.

The 2-blade prop is quieter than the Fliteboard. It also takes a bit more throttle input to get started and to make adjustments. I use a VX3 on the M throttle setting. Once I got used to this I found it a bit easier to handle than the Fliteboard prop which is more sensitive and requires a gentle finger.

For the VESC snapshots I trimmed to select a period on foil and just relied on the VESC tool’s Stats tab of the selected period. In my windy lake run I did my best to select equal upwind/downwind portions to minimize bias. Sorry my runs are so slow, I’m still building my confidence for sustaining higher speeds.

Kevin and I have very similar efficiency numbers, probably within margin of error. My Fliteboard prop is also so close it can’t be called a meaningful efficiency difference.

Kevin’s Run: Ocean (conditions?), 5:24, 0.47km, Avg Speed 22.6 km/h, Avg Effic 51.83 wh/km

Silas’ Run, 2-blade: Windy Lake, 17:42, 1.6km, Avg Speed 20.3 km/h, Avg Effic 51.39 wh/km

Silas’ Run, Fliteboard prop: No wind lake, 12:03, 1.04km, Avg Speed 18.17 km/h, Avg Effic 51.18 wh/km

I also attempted a more complete analysis of my data files. I determined average efficiency from 15 – 22.6 km/hr in 0.1km/hr increments using most of the data in both files. In this plot the Fliteboard prop appears consistently better. However I think the wind bias on the 2-blade data makes this a poor comparison. I may repeat this later if I get a nice calm day again.

4 Likes

Interesting comparison. Thanks

You might find your rig easier to ride if you increased speed to 25kmh. I find the foil sort of locks in and is a lot more predictable. However any speed over 30kmh starts to “leave a mark” when you wipe out😀

4 Likes