New waterproof remote (Vincent's build)

Ok. It’s a plastic shape, printed or molded, no rocket science I assume.
My DIY remote is printed in PLA, 4 outer walls and the inside coated with a thin epoxy resin.

Hi.so It’s 3d printed

Same thats how you get a 3d print truely waterproof.

This remote could not work even with a serious adaptation because it wouldn’t work underwater for 3s dolphin dives. An efoil remote is supposed to switch the motor off immediately if the radio link is broken.
Should it work, looking at the Zapata Racing (ZR) remote installation video " EMK V2 Installation Seadoo RXP300c" , there is a difficult cable and feature adaptation job.
Then the ZR remote looks really tough as it receives a beating any time it enters the water. I don’t think a 3Dprinted efoil remote can bear that.
That’s why the ZR remote kit is sold 1650usd (or 2300usd for the Seadoo plug and play kit ) !

I wanted to give a quick box opening review of Vincents remote. Everything was nicely packed and easy to set up. Reading the included instructions and using VESC tool on my laptop I was able to get the remote working in about 30 minutes. The menu functions on the remote are easy to navigate. I like the feature that you can set the RPM to a set value, So if your a beginner you can set 60% throttle and start learning to fly. I have not tested the remote on the water yet! I have only set up the remote for a bench test. The remote is a solid build, feels good to hold and looks quality. I had to modify the provided receiver/ESC cable with a JST-Ph connector to attach it to the Trampa ESC. I will revisit review after a true on water test. Cheers!

Comes with a water detector, temp sensor cable, floating wrist strap, current amp meter, wireless charger, receiver and remote!

3 Likes

Congratulations! We have one too. :slight_smile:

Our 1st impression of the remote:

1 Like

Thank you very much for your first impression review.
The 3 poles cable was for the flood sensor and not for the ppm but it work also😉

Can’t wait to see your first wet test. Feel free to contact me for any questions! Regards!

I must write that I have never been able to get this remote working on the water. The signal is blocked when my carbon fiber hatch is on and there is no response at all. Since the antenna on the 433mhz cannot be extended I cannot run an extension. If anyone has suggestions on a solution for an antenna extension please respond.

Hello

Sorry to hear that. there is something strang because some of this forum @Kian, @sniper for exemple are using it from month now without any issues!

Can you tell me more about your settings?

Hopefully there is a simple way to extend the 433mhz antenna on my settings and put the antenna where you want. if you open the receiver box, you can put a small ufl connector, remove the white antenna and then put a antenna. Material can be for example found here:

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/32820642371.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.70386c37VaVtOE
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/33045356109.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.70386c37VaVtOE

For instruction, because I use standard adafruit feather radio module, you just should follow this file:

We have everything in a carbon box too, and are not having any connectivity problems.
Are you maybe running any other transmitters (Bluetooth / wifi from BMS system) together in the box ?
We did not do a range test, but will try to do so next time out.

1 Like

Hello for me no carbon box but plexi box with the flipsky bluetooth modul who work together without any problèm since this season maybe 100km of foiling … i need to post a review and vidéo of this🤙

The only thing Im using is the Metr module, Im running the remote with pwm slot on my Trampa VESC. Do you have a picture of your setup? Do you use any bluetooth devices?

I also had a problem when I tried to use the Maytech without the extension. I have been using the 2.4Ghz Maytech remote with an antenna extension and it works great. I have been flying all summer.

Sniper, what do you use the flipsky bluetooth modul for?

@Vincentbraillard I have bought the ufl connectors and two types of 433mhz antennas but I have not had time to install them. I really think my hatch is so thick 8 layers in the back and durable that it is blocking any signal coming from outside in combination with the water interference. I will keep everyone updated. My second build will be made from normal fiberglass. Maybe this will make a difference.

1 Like

I made my hatch with 4 layers of carbon. The signal with 868Mhz comes through quite well.

We are not using any other Bluetooth devices in the box. (We will in the efoil when it’s ready).
The box itself is 2 layers of carbon (160 gram) and some layers of glass. The lid is 6 layers of carbon (160 gram).
We are on vacation at this moment and I do not have any pictures of the setup.
When back home again I will take some and post them here.

Hi,
I also bought this remote in the spring this year to be able to have a good working remote instead of my maytech in zipbag for water protection.
I still haven’t got it working in either of my two setups :frowning:
My maytech remotes works well without any problems in my setup, aluminum box, inflatable board.
I have bought a external 433 MHz antenna but still no success :frowning:
I regret I bought this and would have much rather bought four maytech remotes for the same price I payed for this.

I have to understand @Vince here. It is super hard to design a product and deliver it. That is also the reason my remote is so delayed. Reliability, safety and quality need to be accomplished in order to provide a good product. I’m working effortlessly to meet these goals, but it is definitely not easy.

Br
Felix

2 Likes

Guys,
any recommendation which esc/vesc works best with Vincents remote?

I would recomend to not buy Vincents remote.
I did the big misstake and did that last year.
I got a non working one, probably with a faulty transmitter/receiver. It lost connection from time to time and is not possible to use.
I never got it to work and he did not even consider pay me back his profit on The unit.

Felix did The right thing and changed his design when he detected issues with 433Mhz chips and went on 2.4ghz instead.

Bought also Vincents remote in 2020. He forgot to add the charger. But one PN was enough and he sent me the charger. Can’t believe that he didn’t try to solve your problem.
Anyway, you wrote about a “aluminium box”. I have a MALA inflatable. Do you have some pictures of your box?