Tobi's build from Berlin

Man, i’m already sitting here with popcorn waiting for your post of the new build! :smiley:

3 Likes

I’ve fitted the Slingshot Switch Fuselage to my mast and tried out the Infinity 84 with the rear wing 48 and 42.
Definitely prefer the 42 rear, cause its less lift and more controllable. And finally the space skate 65 with 42 rear. Very fast wing, a little tricky to balance at low speed but nice and stable at higher speeds.

And I was trying to convince my dog to have some fun…

Finally a short clip shot with insta360 at Bärwalder See:

4 Likes

Congratulations. Very impressive job. Could you share your duct and clamps in step, please ?
My configuration is Fr propeller, maytech 65162 and ketos mast.
Good ride.

1 Like

The space skate is such a strange wing to ride! But surprisingly fast. It’s a very different feel to all the other wings I have ridden.

2 Likes

I got some days ago also some experiences with the Space Skate but with the 65cm Version.
First was, I forgot to foiling in the wintertime. :joy:
But when I was fast enough, I got much more stability. And I was also surprised from the reason how fast and easy I got 35 and more km/h.

1 Like

Thanks cristophe!
Sure here are the links to the files I’ve used for my second motor. It’s 65161 Flipsky on a slingshot mast, be aware of the aft ends. I’ve seen Reachertech, Flipsky and Maytech all selling this motor, just with different ends…

Mast Clamp (may not fit your ketos mast)

Duct & Hub

You’re totally right. Riding the space skate has something to it. But if I wouldn’t have learned foiling on it I probably wouldn’t like it.

On hardracing.com I’ve found this info about the wing:
“You’ll like this if:
You want a playful wing you can rock from heel to toe like you’re carving a longboard on fresh asphalt. The Space Skate wing included with our FKite package, but is also a great option for behind the boat and surfing small to medium size waves. It has plenty of lift at slower speeds, making it great for entry-level foilers, and it rides with a loose, freeride feel that self-centers as you bounce from turn to turn.”

And I can confirm, it feels like carving a longboard! I would disagree though, that it is for entry level foilers. This wing is much to loose for beginners…

I find it has a really strange stall feeling at the start and at low speeds it needs a lot of pressure on the front foot. Then once it gets going its actually a very fast wing. I got faster speeds on it than the gamma 68. I preferred the carving on the Gamma 68 though.

2 Likes

Hey guys, I haven’t updated my post since a while. But finally I’ve just finished the second build.

Big thanks to @JasminRM! I cheated a bit and got a beautiful carbon board, which i fitted an FR Motor on a 90cm Axis Mast.
At the moment I enjoy cruising long range on an Axis 1150 HA glide frontwing together with 340 backwing. Without propguard I can foil comfortably at around 25 km/h at 30% less energy then on my other wings.

About the board I especially like the sealed electronic compartment in the back of the board which makes the board look a lot cleaner and organized. The pre installed antenna cable which was lying in the compartment is reaching to the nose of the board, no signal issues so far!
Build quality of the carbon laminate is superior and even though I wasn’t sure about the shape of the board, it rides awesome!

Electronic wise I kept sticking to the V1 Board, I run an MGM Compro TMM 14063-3 watercooled ESC, which I absolutely loved the simplicity of how to set this thing up.

Battery is 14S14P pack made out of LG INR18650-HG2 cells with Daly 200A BMS.

Yesterday I had the maiden ride, and after small modifications the board is now completely waterproof.
V3 & V4 Builds are on the way and my 3 brothers are probably the happiest guys about their future toys… :smiley:
Check out some pictures and a short video:

Video:

V3&V4:

9 Likes

Looks sweet, but way too small board for me. Considering bying the box/lid from JasminRM, how would you rate it?

I can definitely recommend the box and lid. As I said the laminate is cleanly done and the lid is also super thin and light but sturdy is f***.
The board is actually not super small, I think it’s comparable to 5’0 sport from lift. Why do you think it’s too small for you?
The only downside of the box is that you need to make your battery fit. Both other 14S14P batteries I have for my V1 Board unfortunately don’t fit…

1 Like

I was just wondering if somone knows where to purchase these really cool battery plugs ?
They look really high quality !!

They are actually not stainless steel, but covered with nickel. I was looking for stainless steel ones, but harder to find.
Watch out for different sizes, 4-8mm PG9 fit for 8AWG best.

I got them on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0957DFQT5/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_XSARHQ2FQ4E6WH8Z45FA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

And the copplers are from Amphenol, same as flite uses for connecting their battery.

I got them from Mouser:

https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/amphenol/slppa25bsb/?qs=G2fvz%2F8gJKLF7L0%2F81ZKWQ==&countrycode=DE&currencycode=EUR

1 Like

Hi @tosh.jah! How large did you make the hatch?

Hey @FacuO, the measurement Inside is 70cm * 40cm.
3cm all around for the seal.
But I just used these measurements to accommodate my battery pack and the electronics compartment.

1 Like

@Wardy Dan brought to to your awesome build mate. VERY IMPRESSIVE

1 Like

would you recommend a 150 fuse ? I believe this is enough (I plan to go 14S9P)

Hey mate!
As long as you go with 14S I can recommend 150A fuse. I’m also at 14S and on the battery side I use 120A Fuse. One 120A melting fuse within the battery box and the 120A BLUE SEA fuse which I also use as a switch for the electronics.
I never was able to blow the fuse.

But get the more pricey ones from BLUE SEA, they’re higher quality and will blow at the exact value!

2 Likes

Hey guys,
I have been posting some of my learnings and advances in in other topics so I want to keep my build up to date as well!

The summer has been amazing and I have spend more time on the water than any other year. I was happy to be able to finish my second board in time and going out for runs with family and friends was well worth the effort.

This is a video of a roadtrip to Croatia:

On my V1 I’ve remade the seal cause on my first try I had some air bubbles within the seal. I found out that cooling the silicone before mixing gives it a longer reaction time and better overall result. I’ve also changed all right angle connectors to straight plugs. They’re 5,7mm Amphenol ones:
https://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/Amphenol-Industrial/SLPIPA16BSB?qs=XeJtXLiO41RzXiFz6PjVLQ%3D%3D

Updated V1 interior:

V2 Plugs exchange:

Mostly I’m carrying my boards into the water but if necessary I found these two ways of transporting them quite comfortable:

Especially the smaller one is handy, where i’ve bolted a wooden board to it plus some deckpad on top. Like that the board won’t slide while transporting.

Building a 14S14P battery with a level fusing was a fun project. It’s a 18650 Samsung 30Q pack.

Here’s a link to these nickel strips:

I had to spot weld two layers of nickel strips, since one layer will only do 3A continuous without getting warm and will blow fast at 8A per cell.
Now with two layers I have 6A continuous and 16A fusing. Times 14 cells this is 84A and 224A max.
I’m running the pack with a 200A Smart BMS…

Here are the pics:

On a short weekend trip to a lake close to Berlin we have been able to rent a Lift board for a day and compare it to V1 and V2.

And what shall I say, of course I’m happy I didn’t spend 12k for the exact same experience. :smile:

Version 3 build is is almost coming to an end and and I’ve already started a new project for the winter:

It’s a Gong kube 3’11 (119cm) board with 90cm Gong mast and FR Motor. The foil is Fluid Pro Clear L.

Finally winter is starting and it’s time to get out the dry suit for some more fun before the snow starts falling! :joy:

12 Likes

What is your third build?